Gibson Brands Forums

Inlay opinions

bubba_leon

what? you don't like the snot green acrylic inlays?:-k

I've always wondered why Gibson still uses the acrylic. There's lots of MOP out there to use' date=' and a set isn't that expensive. I doubt it would raise the price more than $50.

I like MOP inlays[/quote']

Amen +1 cheers right on. That acrylic stuff is for the birds.

I'm actually getting ready to do the same thing (to the same guitar).

I'm also having the same dilema, but it's a tossup between the white and gold MOP, because I want to keep the "aged" look of the inlays, but I've heard that the "gold" ones look almost as bad as the "puky" acrylic ones. I think I'm going to order a set of each, and then decide what looks better, cause' I can always have one or the other to put in my Epi LP Standard.

Personally, I don't think abalone inlays would look very good on a Classic!

Be sure to post some before and after pics bubba, as will I!:-k

My 2¢ - Abalone tends to throw a lot of green/blue light. A while ago someone posted pics of an LP with a finish very similar to tbonesullivan's gorgeous blue SG that featured abalone inlays and it got a lot of positive comments, and drool stains. So, I like the abalone on certain body colors/finishes. But not gold. [lol]

What? You mean the inlays on my '07 LP aren't MOP or Ivory, or ... they're acrylic? Sucky suck suck!

But seriously, how do you remove the old ones and do the new ones fit tight? Don't want 'em if they'll have gaps like my 60's Silvertone did (shrinkage, I think).

What? You mean the inlays on my '07 LP aren't MOP or Ivory' date=' or ... they're acrylic? Sucky suck suck!

But seriously, how do you remove the old ones and do the new ones fit tight? Don't want 'em if they'll have gaps like my 60's Silvertone did (shrinkage, I think).[/quote']None of the recent LPs (except for some of the high-end models) have MOP inlays. Gibson switched to swirled/figured acrylic in the early '90s (starting with the Classic), because it was more "cost effective". What I don't understand though is, why, if they now use cheaper materials, the prices of the LPs that are made with said cheaper materials continue to go up?

Anyway, inlays can be removed a few different ways, but this is a job better suited for the pros, because it's very easy to damage the fingerboard if you don't know what you're doing.

Most acrylic inlays can be removed simply by applying heat (not fire) to them to soften/loosen the glue/epoxy enough to where they can be gently pried out, but in most cases, a hole is drilled through the center, and then they are chipped apart and taken out in pieces.

Another way, which is often done with MOP inlays as well, is to use a dremel with an inlay cutting bit, to cut the carefully cut the inlays out by fallowing the shape of the original route. The only problem with this method is that most of the time (depending on the luthier) the frets will have to be removed in order to make it easier to get an even route.

Before I have this done to mine, I'm going to make sure my repair guy can do it, if not, I will be doing A LOT of searching until I find someone who can. I'd do it myself, but I can't afford to replace the fretboard (or guitar) if I were to screw it up.

Is it only for looks or does it feel different? The ones I've played with 'good' materials felt better' date=' but I might be just imagining it.[/quote']

It's 100% cosmetic. The inlays don't look so bad in real life , but in photos it looks horrendous.

Is it only for looks or does it feel different? The ones I've played with 'good' materials felt better' date=' but I might be just imagining it.[/quote']

Unless you're a fan of very low frets and the strings actually touch the inlays when you play, you shouldn't feel a difference between decal stickers and real inlays. I prefer higher frets so I don't notice anything. the stickers are so negligibly thin that they shouldn't feel different

just get the HM inlays and be done with it

picture is link

HM_Package_D_052_1200.jpg

Oh' date=' yeah! I forgot about those.

what are hm inlays?

Cellulose Nitrate Inlays (used on vintage LPs).

They would look good to, but they're too damn expensive!

MOP from Stewmac = $40.00 and change (per set)

CNIs = $165.00 (per set)

Archived