Gibson Brands Forums

The latest round of firewood

Laaz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about this novel idea' date=' why not report these to Ebay instead of here? Its easy hit that button that says [i']Report this item[/i]

It does work. Try it.

eBay doesn't always react, but just last week they actually removed a fake r8, after I reported it.

Here's the latest round of counterfeits...

Know exactly where you're coming from mate...forget it.

Right or wrong' date='you may THINK you're helping,but you're not. Forget about here (sad as that is) take it upon yourself to report anything sus to eBay etc. even though I know there's strength in numbers.

I applaud ya anyways for what it's worth.:-# :-# :-# Mother knows best. :-# :-# :-#

How are you bassing your thread, especially the second one it looks ledgit. The only issue might be a owner that does not know what the guitar specs are. The other two are closer to being fake than the second one. How about this novel idea, why not report these to Ebay instead of here? Its easy hit that button that says Report this item

Hummmm.... Try doing a google search on that description. I bet the first thing that pops up are madeinchina dot sights, word for word. Basswood is very common in the Orient and has never been used to make a Les Paul. Other giveaways are 50's or 60's neck and CR or GD (Chrome or Gold) and the fact they are using a generic photo.

I give up... Let em all buy Chinese crap. [cool] Tell ya what I promise I won't call out any more fakes. I'll just sit here and watch these pour souls throw their money away... :-

Lowdown you DID have the right idea. There should be a sticky thread' date=' could save quite a few people from getting robbed.[/quote']

:- Really?! You jest. [cool] :-

Did you not read the thread? I went down like a sack of sh*t. And my yay-sayers ditched me...:-

You can't rely on Ebay to remove fakes. I've reported lots of them, I get a nice automatically generated message saying that they will look into it, but days later the guitars are still up for sale and eventually some poor sucker buys them. I think Gibson should get their lawers to talk to Ebay and try and put the onus on Ebay to get their house in order, after all by taking their percentage of the sale price they are complicit in all this.

The first looks quite real. What makes it a counterfeit?

Ever see a Les Paul with a headstock made out of one solid piece of wood ? Ever see a Standard with a truss rod cover engraved "Les Paul Standard" on it ? Wrong bridge, wrong knobs, pups with red and blue Gibson stickers on them... Case...

Hummmm.... Try doing a google search on that description. I bet the first thing that pops up are madeinchina dot sights' date=' word for word. Basswood is very common in the Orient and has never been used to make a Les Paul. Other giveaways are 50's or 60's neck and CR or GD (Chrome or Gold) and the fact they are using a generic photo. [/quote']

Yeah, some Strats at one point were made out of basswood but Lesters... nah

Ever see a Les Paul with a headstock made out of one solid piece of wood ? Ever see a Standard with a truss rod cover engraved "Les Paul Standard" on it ? Wrong bridge' date=' wrong knobs, pups with red and blue Gibson stickers on them... Case...[/quote']

Also it looks to me like the middle part on the top of the head is to long. Sorry I'm not more specific, I just don't know what that's called x[

The part that's like _<><>_/

The middle of that [biggrin]

If it saves one person from getting ripped off it's worth it. The market is getting flooded with this junk. Every snake out there it seems is importing these things for $200 and passing them off as the real deal to unsuspecting people. I think it should be the Gibson community that takes a stand against this BS.

Hard to say on the 2nd one - but "Anytown, United States..." - do you guys get that in the US on Ebay..?

The 1st and 3rd ones are the best fakes I've seen yet.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the Custom might even have binding on the frets...? I've never seen that on a fake before.

Scary....... They're actually pretty close. [cool]

I've played Gibsons for over 15 years now - and it's usually just the shape and proportions that give it away for me..... These look..... fishy, just from that.

If it saves one person from getting ripped off it's worth it. The market is getting flooded with this junk. Every snake out there it seems is importing these things for $200 and passing them off as the real deal to unsuspecting people. I think it should be the Gibson community that takes a stand against this BS.

+1000000000000

I do what I can. 1 seller at a time.

+1.

I don't wish to be critical but it would be very helpful if folks would explain why these are fake. I know there are several posts on this thread which do exactly that.

I come here to learn as well as have a laugh and I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm no LP expert.

I reported Chinese firewood #1 and 2 to eBay and received the following response regarding #2:

Dear Phillip,

Thanks for reporting listing 290392793668 to us.

I investigated this listing and found that it didn't violate our policy.

Although there can be certain indicators that are commonly associated

with fraudulent listings, none of those indicators could be found within

this listing.

I know that you may find this information disappointing, however I would

like to assure you that we are committed to keeping the eBay site safe

from infringing items (bootlegs, counterfeits, and "knock-offs"). How we

do this is through our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program.

Because we are not experts in all the types of items listed, we work

closely with many producers and manufacturers to protect their

intellectual property rights. Rights owners report directly to us

listings that they believe are infringing. When we receive these reports

from a VeRO member we are required by law to remove it.

However, because so many listings are posted on eBay every day, not all

infringing listings may get reported to us from the rights owner. For

this reason, we encourage you to contact them with any infringing item

you may find. You'll find a list of rights owners and contact

information, as well as information about infringing items, in the VeRO

Program About Me pages. To view the list, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

Keep in mind that the list of rights owners does not include all rights

owners that report through the VeRO Program. This list contains the

rights owners that have chosen to post About Me pages that provide

information regarding their products and legal positions. If you can not

find a specific rights owner in the list, a web search should help you

find contact information for them.

We appreciate your patience and your efforts in keeping eBay a safe

place to trade. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to

reply to this email and let us know.

Sincerely,

Cyrus

eBay Customer Support

Trust and Safety Operations

I thought #1 had been pulled at first, but see it's still there. I give up - both are definite fakes. [cool]

Archived