Gibson Brands Forums

Which (if any) Direct Box Active or Passive?

sjl200

Do any of you use a direct box?

Signal chain guitar(with on board pre-amp/w eq) -trs 1/4 to DI then XLR to house PA -No amp-?

About a 10-15 ft. max cable run.

Does that work for you and what "box" would you recommend?

Manufacturer?

Active?

Passive?

Why?

Thanks....

I was 'told" that one could "plug" into the PA XLR using a DI .

A 1/4 trs from guitar with an active pick-up w preamp/eq to the DI then the XLR out to the PA and get a decent sound.

I have no experience with this set up but would like to NOT carry the amp to this venue. They have a PA some guitars use mic's and others bring an amp and bypass the PA.

I'm lazy so I figure a DI is easy to carry.....if it will sound OK.

Does anybody go Direct to the DI then direct (XLR lowZ) to the mixer in the PA?

If so what make DI do you recomend? then Active or pasive?

I was 'told" that one could "plug" into the PA XLR using a DI .

A 1/4 trs from guitar with an active pick-up w preamp/eq to the DI then the XLR out to the PA and get a decent sound.

I have no experience with this set up but would like to NOT carry the amp to this venue. They have a PA some guitars use mic's and others bring an amp and bypass the PA.

I'm lazy so I figure a DI is easy to carry.....if it will sound OK.

Does anybody go Direct to the DI then direct (XLR lowZ) to the mixer in the PA?

If so what make DI do you recomend? then Active or pasive?

I really want to answer this question, but it's become alphabet soup to my eyes.

Imagine what its doing to me a person who "cant read"[crying]

I guess I am asking can you directly plug an acoustic Guitar with an on board pre-amp directly into a PA mixing boards normal mic input?

I asked the "Fishman tech support" they said yes with a DI (direct box). They also said passive or active.

When I investigate I find all DI box "wiring diagrams to include an amplifier in the "signal chain"

That confused me (easily done, as you can tell) since the fishman tech group never mentioned an amp being in the chain.

I have never used such an item and was trying to get the straight dope as it were.

Was there something wrong with my answer of yesterday morning?

For our acoustic shows I use a Behringer DI-100. It's a "active" box powered by phantom power or 9v battery. Any effective DI box must be "active". This box is on the low end (price wise) of the available units' date=' but it does a great job. [/quote']

Let me try again.

Yes, you can use a DI. Yes, you SHOULD use a DI. Yes, it should be an "active" model powered by phantom power (whenever available) OR battery. No, you do not NEED an amplifier in the signal chain, but can "Y" out of the DI for an XLR signal to the PA AND an additional 1/4" signal to an amp if you would like.

What a DI box does is convert the high impedence "unbalanced" (1/4") signal from your guitar to an low impedence "balanced" XLR (mic level) signal that most mixing boards require. Even if the mixer has 1/4" inputs, they are designed for "line level" signals (such as effects units), not for low level of a guitar's output, which is why guitars sound like crap if the 1/4" plug is just inserted to a mixer. Whether your guitar has an active or passive pickup makes no difference, the signal is still the wrong format to be inserted directly into a mixing board, the DI converts it to the correct format.

The reason to "Y" the DI output to an amp is for on stage monitoring in the case of no "wedges". Some active DI's run only on phantom power, some run on both phantom AND 9v battery. The dual power option is handy to have, as not all mixers or powered heads have phantom power.

A fine inexpensive unit thats fits all the criteria I mentioned above (and what my band uses) is the Behringer DI-100. This or similar units should run about $50.

Thanks Larry I think I mis read your response when I saw Behringer DI100 I thought that meant an Behringer AMP and a "DI 100" active box....

Now I understand. There seems to be a wide price range 25 to 250 ++ active AND passive.

I do have a line on a JDI Direct Box with Jensen Transformer for a decent price it is a passive box.

Really have no idea pro or con to either.

Again Thanks Larry.

ps What is your band. I do live in the St. Louis area....

Archived