Gibson Brands Forums

How long does a set up take now adays?

dem00n

It's because they're not sitting around waiting for you to bring your guitar into the shop so that they can immediately take care of it for you; they're already working on other people's instruments. Ergo' date=' there is a line.[/quote']

You got a point.

Thanks rich.

It's because they're not sitting around waiting for you to bring your guitar into the shop so that they can immediately take care of it for you; they're already working on other people's instruments. Ergo' date=' there is a line.[/quote']

A good point Rich. I was also thinking the same thing, but thought it was obvious. So given all the tasks I listed, how long would a good tech take to actually finish? just curious. I've had to leave my guitar for several days in my tech's shop.

But do you wonder about the frst guy that went in? They probably told him to return in a day or 2 too! #-o

Sorry if I seemed a little snippy; I deal with a team of sales people who think that everything they need done is the most critical thing going on and needs to be done immediately. My reply is always the same: "Send a ticket and I'll get to it" which means "I have other stuff going on right now and will do it as soon and as quickly as I can."

You're actually lucky that turnaround time is only a day, dem00n; the place where I take my guitars has two full time techs and I still have to wait at least two days for the work to be done.

But do you wonder about the frst guy that went in? They probably told him to return in a day or 2 too! #-o

Hell yeah! I always under promise and over deliver. If I think it'll take me an hour, I tell them two; that way, I have time to do a good job of it and they get what they wanted in less time than they expected. It makes me look like a super hero (without a cape).

Depends on the guitar, a truss rod adjustment can and should take several days, adjusting little by little.

I am about to have 2 of my guitars setup becuase I do not own nut files and don't want to buy a set to then maybe screw up the nuts.

It's time for y'all to learn to do your own setups' date=' Stew Mac has a great book on it.

The only time I take mine to a luthier is if I need a nut replaced or there's a structural problem with one of my guitars.[/quote']

Whats the book called?

I wana buy it! [cool]

It's easier than soldering and it's only scary the first time. Just like soldering, practice on something that's not your primary guitar.

It takes about a Half Hour for me to do a set up if there's no Truss Rod adjustment. If there is then it depends on how far out it is and how the truss rod reacts to tightening .

I just don't trust "Professionals", they have a bunch of guitars to do and by the end of the day it's human nature to start rushing and cutting corners. Something you'll never do to your own stuff.

Hard tails are "easier" at first but setting up a Trem is no problem after you've done a couple. Even a Floyd Rose style makes sense after you get a few Strat style trems set ups.

[crying] Do they really have to take my guitar for a full day just to do a set up?
You know what they say?

There are no stupid questions' date=' just stupid people".[thumbup

I've had to leave my guitar(s) to get set-up for upwards of a week at times (and even moreso now), because of the business my tech gets!

Just think of it this way: When you take your guitar(s) in to a shop for work/setup, there's probably 5-6 guitars, or maybe more depending on the location of the shop (and how many guitarists live in the surrounding area), ahead of yours, and so on, and so on...and unless there are multiple techs on hand (which is rarely the case), your going to be waiting awhile.

Archived