Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Jocko.

Murph

Hey, guys... I actually pick too, dammit. <grin and chortle>

In fact, I just changed the avatar to a shot during a South Dakota and Open fiddling contest the year I backed up a third or so of the fiddlers and still shot enough pix for the newspaper.

Yeah, it was some years ago. I still have the guitar.

m

Hey' date=' guys... I actually pick too, dammit. <grin and chortle>

In fact, I just changed the avatar to a shot during a South Dakota and Open fiddling contest the year I backed up a third or so of the fiddlers and still shot enough pix for the newspaper.

Yeah, it was some years ago. I still have the guitar.

m

[/quote']

Heh heh...I see ya, Milo. If we were giggin' before some of 'em were twinkles in their Mama's eyes we must not be real players. LOL! Nice pic. Wonder if you were having as much fun as it appears you're having...? [crying]

That pix would have been maybe 74-75. I think all the others in the pix are long gone.

yeah, it was about 4-5 days of not much other than pickin' and grinnin' in those days. The biggest shows were for the Bicentennial. As long as I came up with a story or two a day, the boss was happy; and I was pickin' 'til my fingers were about to fall off. <grin>

It also was a great lesson about "amateur" pickers who could outpick a lotta guys but did it for fun and occasional trips with their families.

I ended up with a fiddle I don't really know how to play - worse, how to "keep up" properly - and a handmade mandolin from "new" friends I ended up backing up on stage.

A lotta the styles weren't really mine, but who cares when it's a good jam?

Besides, my hair had some color to it that didn't require a bottle. <chortle> Ah, well. I shouldn't complain 'cuz at least I do have some. Hair, that is. Bottles are for stuff other than color.

m

I know there are a few that pick on the forum; its great to know its not all collectors.... OBTW I do know there is a need for all.

I just have to ask' date=' but how do you categorize who's a collector and who's not????[blink

From my vantage point, it appears that most of the members play their guitars......

I just have to ask' date=' but how do you categorize who's a collector and who's not????[confused']

From my vantage point, it appears that most of the members play their guitars......

You play guitar?

I just leave mine on the stand...[blink]

Dude collectors ****ing play they just dont play the 59 les pauls they own.

You play guitar?

I just leave mine on the stand...[blink]

Dude collectors ****ing play they just dont play the 59 les pauls they own.

the above seems to be a bit presumptuous[confused]

I have two old time jammin pals that have a 60 LPC and a 55 LP GT and they play the devil out of those things.

Dennis...

Here's the oldest pix I've got of me pickin' - a fire some years later got rid of the others.

I think I'm about 21; the baby is a young lady my Mom calls my favorite niece - who's now over 40. <grin>

m

Dennis...

Here's the oldest pix I've got of me pickin' - a fire some years later got rid of the others.

I think I'm about 21; the baby is a young lady my Mom calls my favorite niece - who's now over 40. <grin>

m

LOL! Love it' date=' mon! I have one...somewhere, taken a few months after I got out of the R-me...would have been '70...probably winter because I have some hair and a 'stache already. I'll try to find it and get it into digital.

You sure looked young when you were younger. [blink

Well... I've gone through a bunch of cycles...

Playing to learn how and occasionally playing in public; then being a "known" folksinger around and was asked to play sometimes for money and sometimes for food. <grin>

Then rock and country bands for money. Then just hiding in a corner at home with a guitar.

Then boom, back to mostly benefit stuff and occasionally a buck or two.

Who knows... maybe again for money.

But the guitar - whether a new one or my mostly mid '70s pieces - is a part of me no less when it's just for me.

I think you could almost make a case that some musicians are performers and others ain't necessarily.

A lady friend my Dad went to school with once told me she kinda envied me that I could put my head into music I wanted to play, and she was playing for a living. In her case it was in orchestras, but the principle is the same, I think.

Dennis... Yeah, I sure did look young when I was young. <chortle> Heck, at 18 I could almost pass for 14!

m

Jocko...

Yeah, that's how I felt about that fire.

Fireman friend sez I musta been a kinda good guy, though, 'cuz an angel musta awakened me. Sez I should have been gone before I could wake up.

So... I dunno about the pix. I'm glad I can complain about 'em. Dammit. I was awfully lucky, though, in that my guitars came through it ok.

m

IMO there are two types of players' date=' the bedroom player (which nothing is wrong) and the player who actively plays out at bars, backyard parties etc... Collectors dont play either and majority of their guitars sit in a case or something similar. Do we need both; yup. Its like that guy who has a 69 Camaro with a total frame off restore that is a trailer queen and never gets used vs a car that was made to be driven.

Guitars are made to be played; plain and simple and why be someone who does not share the fantastic tone with others of some of the greatest guitars ever made just so they can collect dust.

[/quote']

There are distinctions made in any field of interest or endeavor, shouldn't be a problem if they're accurate. It's sure as hell easy to tell the trailer-queens from daily riders at the bike runs. And, in all honesty, given the distinctions "biker" and "motorcycle-enthusiast", it's not difficult to tell where the owners of the respective bikes fit. And yes, there are a number of differences.

It's also true that some few of each group like to feel superior to the other group. It's just as comical there, in that world, as it is here. The difference being...in that world retaliation for disrespect is very real, very sudden and very unpleasant. Makes a cyber hissy fit seem kinda girly.

Seriously, I've known more than a few folks who made their living at music at different points in their lives. Some when they were younger, some when they were older - some at something between young and old...

Some musicians I know play more in various publics than others, for money and for other reasons. Some are awfully good, some get by but are more appreciated by their audiences.

As for super-quality guitars... I dunno. I love 'em, but always feared having one to play when gigging in saloons 2-5 nites a week. Ditto coffeehouses in an earlier era, even though one seldom saw a brawl.

Dennis... I dunno about the bike thing, either. My "little brother" ain't doing competition any more, but he ain't on the local SWAT team, either. <grin> OTOH, his hair is gettin' a little gray. But he's a rider, for sure.

Ditto some rough stock riders I know in the rodeo field. At a point they quit the PRCA circuits, but there's something...

It's the same, I think, with pickers. To everything there is a season...

But yeah, there are the others who ain't real pickers or bikers or riders and the difference can be told.

m

Yep.

Pit Bull from HELL here....

I've played some gigs off and on over the years, just for kicks.

I already have a day job that takes all my time, plus a business on the side.

I started playing for ME years ago.

High school buddies thought it would be cool to start a band, but we all quit sports to have

enough time to drink and race cars, with girls worked in there too.

I didn't buy my first NICE guitar until I was 28.

Got tired of second hand, cheapo, imported crap (including Epiphones) and decided to buy a new Strat.

That was soon followed by two black LP Standards.

By then, I had moved, no high school buddies.

Working all kinds of hours, but seeing bands every weekend I could - LOVING the blues in Texas....

Played with a few different guys who were GOOD, and wanted me to play rhythm in their band.

Then I figured out I was the only one with nice gear, a house, a truck, and a good income.

They didn't need me to play guitar, they needed all the other stuff.....

Once I was in Arizona, I started collecting with a vengeance because I was divorced and could afford it.

I found owning lotsa nice gear is quite an ice breaker with the guys who can really play.

They knew I was at least somewhat serious about my gear....

Started playing with a couple bands - older guys who had been doing it a lot of years.

No more Kiddie Sh!t.

Honestly, I can't play for sh!t.

I might not even touch a guitar for a month at a time.

I have immense respect for the players I know, and I've learned very little of what they could teach me.

Now and then, nobody's home and I just crank up the stereo and the Marshall.

I start bouncing through songs, seeing how well I can cover the parts, if I can do them onstage.

It's therapy for me, better than shooting, almost up there with... with drag racing!

Maybe even flying...

I've spent $50k on gear over the years, but I don't have any extremely expensive collector guitars.

I've played a couple dozen gigs over the years, but I don't get paid for somebody else's band.

I'm pretty good on a modest number of songs, but I won't be teaching anybody guitar - though they ask...

Not sure where I fit in.

RS 1959?

THAT guy is a collector!!!

I think there is another category that being left out. I started playing in 1970

when I was 13. Friends from school and I start a band and would play

local dances at the YMCA or at the junior high. That was tough back then

getting equipment around and not driving. I got in another band and played

all through high school every weekend. After that I moved to Denver and

was at a Club called Mr. Lucky's and some friends had me sit in on some

songs and a band looking for a guitar asked me to play with them which

I did for 12 years. That was my sole source of income. Members got married

and the band broke up and I moved back to SD and start a business with my

dad. I still played every night in the hotel room. It's hard to have a regular

job and play in a serious band. Now I play with a bunch of guys that come

out to my place to jam we also teach a lot of the local neighbor kids which

is kind fun. They actually got us to play out for the first time in 20 years at

the local Sat. afternoon battle of the bands. That was fun but I'm not into

hauling the gear and setting it up any more. Seems to have lost they thrill.

I still play every day sometimes for hours. The ex said I spent way to much

time with the guitars. I know there are a lot of us out there so where to we fall

into Player collector thing?

CW

Archived