Gibson Brands Forums

wrap strings around stop tail

MojoRedFoot

Here's everything I know about it;

;)

www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/TopWrapping.html

"Hell' date=' maybe you could top wrap the headstock and bring the strings over the Gibson logo..."[/b']

[cool]

Thanks Neo, when you look at it as you so elequently described, top wrapping makes no sense. Your statement at the end, "I'll do it the way Gibson's been doing it since 1956" I think says it best. I think the earlier poster who said people took it from the early SG and Les Paul Jr's single bridge/tailpiece had it correct.

• 2 months later...

How about those LP guitars with limited string clearance between the rear of the bridge and the stop?

Many owners of the 'Heritage Series' Standard guitars of 1980/81 have chosen to 'top wrap' these desirable guitars for this very reason. The neck to body angle on these guitars is also a little steeper than most LPs which accentuates the angle of the strings as they leave the bridge.

The sound and playability of these guitars, like the Rev.Billy's 'Pearly Gates' is not affected in any negative way by this mod, as the string length between the bridge saddle and the nut remains the same. Some enthusiasts will however make the claim that the sound is improved. The non-interfering strings should now last a tad longer with one highly stress point having been eliminated.

Archived