Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Thread

DonCarlos

I deleted the thread about Cleartone strings. I'm not sure how Gibson would feel about a company using their forums to promote their product. Nobody contacted me about this' date=' it was my call as a mod, so direct any wrath towards me.

[/quote']

I was trying to work the guy for some free stings!

ksdaddy ....just send me a nice new pack of ClearTone strings and I will call it even!

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Okay. That's your call. And we trust that because you have always done your job well.

But to be fair, we could call this the Bob Colosi forum as well (and he has posted).

We all do a lot of promo for his company (which is BTY warranted because of his work).

I started the thread because the forum forwarded a PM to me from cleartone and I wanted to know if anyone got the same thing or if it was a ruse.

I don't now anything about these guys, but I think they responded on the forum itself only because I posted my suspicions about their intent, first. Which ultimately I will find out whether their intentions were dubious or not.

No wrath towards you, but a simple PM to me, telling me what happened so I am aware that there was a problem (and then of course this present thread could have been avoided).

You can also send me some free sets of strings too.[lol]

I'll send you all some strings but in the interest of quality control, I'll use them for a few months to make sure they're okay.

I have no issue with Cleartones. I've only ever heard of them through the forum(s). I think it was a nice gesture to offer some strings to people but I'm just trying to see it through Gibson's eyes. Again, nobody contacted me.

Now that I am thinking about it a little more.... I really did ask the guy a couple questions about the strings that I would have been interested in his reply. Maybe a better solution would have been to send it to the "Reviews" section or somewhere appropriate rather than a delete?? But I do absolutely see your point ksdaddy and I agree the thread was in the gray area. The question then can be asked about other posters, like I know Bob Colosi posts here....or if a Luthier posts here? I would want to be careful not to drive away knowledgeable people?

YIKES !! it is a can of worms. As I said I definitely see your point and the Cleartone guy was sort of soliciting ....Damn I am glad I am not a Mod!

It's bound to happen, an amp repair guy might be offering some advice and he may be contacted to do some work, or a luthier, and of course Bob Colosi is held in high regard and has posted. The line I drew was that the Cleartone guy appeared to have joined the forum with the primary intent of drumming up new customers by sending private messages to forum members, offering them free products. I may have fallen off the turnip truck but it wasn't last night. He knew very well his generosity would end up being public and he gets free PR.

I think ksdaddy is comepletely in the right. Don't forget, Gibson is a string manufacturer (or marketer, now). It's one thing for us to discuss other string brands on Gibson's forum; it's quite another for another manufacturer to actively market thier product on the forum Gibson pays for (although I think that was somewhat accidental and the result of the posts about the private pm).

Red 333

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I just thought it would be something nice to do and I only contacted guys who mentioned Cleartones via PM. I never started a thread trying to solicit anything.

Oh well, I tried. You guys can always contact me at Cleartone if you are still interested in some samples. I did send a bunch out so check your mail next week. I know on other forums people talk about all sorts of other products so I didn’t think it was a huge deal. Gibson does have strings, but they don’t make them. You’d be very surprised how many strings are out there made by the big D.

I only contacted guys who mentioned Cleartones via PM. I never started a thread trying to solicit anything.

Well that's true, I started the thread. And I look forward to getting the strings.

Now, what would be nice if Gibson starting contacting us and sending members a free guitar to try. I'll take another J45 please.[cool]

The line I drew was that the Cleartone guy appeared to have joined the forum with the primary intent of drumming up new customers by sending private messages to forum members

ksdaddy ...when stated like that I 100% see your point and perspective as Mod. I certainly was never intending to be contentious' date=' but was more like noodling through the issue out loud.

I think you are a very good, conscientious(sorry missed the spelling ....now corrected) and fair Mod and I would never want the job and thank you for your time and effort.

ksdaddy....are you saying that for some postings' date=' there are some strings attached?[/quote']

OWF - I am not sure how to gauge your comment??

OWF - I am not sure how to gauge your comment??

Wire you asking me? Questions like this cause a lot of tension. Obviously that Cleartone guy has a lot of pull in his company. I don't think he was just stringing us along. He seems to be attuned to what people need in a guitar string.

Node...you were right....

Wire you asking me? Questions like this cause a lot of tension. Obviously that Cleartone guy has a lot of pull in his company. I don't think he was just stringing us along. He seems to be attuned to what people need in a guitar string.

Node...you were right....

OWF!!

Brilliant !! I humbly bow down a half step below the Master! Although I am not sure I appreciate the intonation of your statement!!

I got the strings today... for eletric of course.

I got two packs which was very kind!

I like the strings on my MM...though for some reason i only like them on the MM...so next time this baby needs a string change ill be buying cleartone.

Archived