Gibson Brands Forums

Acadian Driftwood

DAS44

The Band ! It was a national teasure ! [cool]

I actually got drunk with Rick Danko one night long ago in Woodstock NY. I didnt even know it was him till he left. He forgot a pack of Camels on the table and came back to the window of the tavern we were at . When he looked through the window and motioned to the forgotton pack I went man thats Rick Danko. I brought the pack out to him. He said thanks man! Ill never forget that night!

A great voice and a great loss to all of us!

The Band ! It was a national teasure ! [cool]

I actually got drunk with Rick Danko one night long ago in Woodstock NY. I didnt even know it was him till he left. He forgot a pack of Camels on the table and came back to the window of the tavern we were at . When he looked through the window and motioned to the forgotton pack I went man thats Rick Danko. I brought the pack out to him. He said thanks man! Ill never forget that night!

Are you serious? Thats so awesome.

The Band ! It was a national teasure ! [thumbup]

I was introduced to The Band in about 2000 by a business partner. If ever there was a band that changed my outlook on music, playing, singing and probably much more, it's The Band. Great thread DAS44. They were simply one of the greatest.

That's a great memory to have suburude63 and thanks for sharing it.

Take a listen to the sound of the 1st two albums, er CDs. Balanced ensemble play-- you can hear all the parts, very intricate interplay. Now go to a modern CDs, its all smooth crank, wall of sound, scooped middle, enhanced low end. What you hear is the beat and the vocal. With The Band, its musicians playing together.

My dad introduced them to me. It changed my life, honestly.

Clapton always wanted to be part of the Band, Music From Big Pink (Possibly my alltime favorite album) changed his life. He got a chance in The Last Waltz.

(Note at about a minute claptons guitar strap falls off and Robbie tears it up to cover it)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEo4gRqUiU4[/YOUTUBE]

Great thread...major influence all my life. I wanted to "be" Rick Danko after I saw the Last Waltz as a kid. I once had the opportunity to sit next to Robbie Robertson for an hour at a party one night...I could barely say a word...just didn't feel worthy.

Great thread...major influence all my life. I wanted to "be" Rick Danko after I saw the Last Waltz as a kid. I once had the opportunity to sit next to Robbie Robertson for an hour at a party one night...I could barely say a word...just didn't feel worthy.

<jealousy of suburude and nid> aww damn why did I have to be born so damn late.

I actually got drunk with Rick Danko one night long ago

i did a lot of shows with these guys over the years. managed to knock back a few with rick and levon on a few occasions. i did the last show with richard before he hanged himself in an orlando hotel room a day later. i remember saying goodbye to him as he got on the bus. big grin on his face, thanking me for yet another gig. little did i know... they were a national treasure.

Hey Suburude' date=' If you haven't already you should check out the song Danko/Manuel by the Drive-by Truckers.

Its on The Dirty South album er CD[biggrin']

Here it is ! A great song about those boys http://popup.lala.com/popup/504684663716244646

They were an incredible band. George Harrison had a juke box in his basement . The Band was the only music on it!

Clapton said they were it as far as he was concerned! Musicians musicains ! [biggrin]

My dad introduced them to me. It changed my life' date=' honestly.

Clapton always wanted to be part of the Band, Music From Big Pink (Possibly my alltime favorite album) changed his life. He got a chance in The Last Waltz.

(Note at about a minute claptons guitar strap falls off and Robbie tears it up to cover it)

Just @#%$^& Awsome! RR was probobly the most underated guitarist of our time! I got to see these guys a lot!

I lived 4 blocks from the Filmore East in NY City. Fri and Sat nights. for $5 you'd see 3 acts Vannilla Fudge #-o

Cream and Santana $5 It was awsome. One night we saw the Dead went in at 8 pm came out at 7am the next day!

Very very cool! :-&

Print it out for some bathroom reading. This thread reminded me of this site and the part of it on Acadian--I have not read it in years' date=' but plan to read it again now.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/acadian_driftwood_viney.html

[/quote']

This guy is probobly accurate but you know I dont give &^%$ #-o ! I love the song as well as "The night they drove old Dixie down" I learned a new perspective about the Cival War I had never had growing up in Salem Mass. :-k A Southern perspective ! Its not the most accurate historicaly either but acuracy is not every thing! At least not to me.

The South did have a real worthwhile perspective ! Historys written by the victors mostly . [-(

I love these guys! :-k

Archived