Gibson Brands Forums

has anyone tried the new sg standard white with coil taps?

ps25814

i was just recently on the guitar center website and i noticed that they had this new white sg satndard with coil taps and burst bucker pickups. has anyone ever tried it out? and how do the coil taps work, do you just press a button or do you have to re wire it? and does it make a good single coil sound?

Haven'T heard the Sg with the coil taps, have tried a Schecter classic with this system. It dident sound like a Fender at all. Had a Fender Olympic white a couple of years ago, sold it because i at the time didn't use it so much. Man do i regret that now. What am trying to say is keep the Sg, save up some money and have both.

If you are looking for a variety of tones from one pickup, you could consider the P-Rails from Seymour. I have not heard it (and I do not like the appearance), it is supposed to give you a lot of different tones (single Strat like, P90 and humbucker).

so do you guys think its worth it to just save up for the white coil taps instead of just getting a normal standard? because arent the only thing different about them the neck, the pickups, and the coil taps, is it more bang for the buck?

so do you guys think its worth it to just save up for the white coil taps instead of just getting a normal standard? because arent the only thing different about them the neck' date=' the pickups, and the coil taps, is it more bang for the buck?[/quote']

I've tried one.

Yes the pickups are different, so they don't quite sound the same as an SG Standard in humbucking mode.

I also have a Les Paul Traditional Pro that has`57 Classic and Burstbucker 3 pickups with coil-tapping, and the SG doesn't quite sound like that either. It actually sounds more "Fender like" to me than the Les Paul in single coil mode maybe because of the lighter, solid, Fender type body.

You should really try one for yourself and decide if you really want the normal SG Standard sound, or if you want a Burstbucker sound with a single coil option. It is "More bang for the buck" but do you need/want those extra features?

Only you know if it's "Worth it", only you know if single coil tone options are for you.

If you have to ask if the extra bells and whistles are worth it, then maybe you don't need them, someone who could really use that option in their playing would know that's something they could utilize.

Here in the US, the price difference is $100, so if you don't really need the extra features, enjoy a new SG Standard and pocket the extra $100.

Archived