Gibson Brands Forums

Submitted for your approval (or comments) {'52 J-45 on ebay}

62burst

I hope this doesn't breach any forum rules (I looked but couldn't find 'em), but there's something Old, something Gibson on ebay that's pretty interesting...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-J-45-J45-1952-Vintage-Guitar-Great-Shape_W0QQitemZ320476548178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9de40c52

... if any forum members pick up on anything an interested bidder might want more info on, I'd be curious to hear about it. What would/should something like this be going for these days? Any info appreciated.

Thx

I'm trying to verify if it's the same one. If it is, there's another '52 J45 on the west coast that's just as clean, for almost the same price!!

The guitar I played had a neck set by one of the best guys out here--it handles like an electric! Solid sound and primo condition.

Well, I approve. I was watching this guitar, but no intention to bid. It does appear to be in exceptional condition. Many 51 and 52 guitars have a unique colored pickguard. Though it doesn't show up very well in this pics I believe it does have one. Just something I like on these guitars. All it is missing is a nice brown hard case. I was a little surprised it got the opening bid, but nice original clean guitars do hold their own. These are the lighter built guitars and typically sound very good. I would be surprised if it brings a lot more, but who knows.

Sounds like ole Hoss has a line on one also. If that guitar has the OHSC in brown it would be a better buy since those cases in decent conditon often go for over $400. Again just something I consider when buying a vintage guitar.

Terry

Very much appreciated further info to consider, both Terry and Hoss. Well, Hoss, does the one you know of have the orig brown case? I notice the seller of this '52 is not giving up the orig case w/ this one.

I also noticed a strange "halo" around the pickguard. Where there is no sunburst. I guess the 'guard could shrink a little in 58 years (?)

Also; The way he has it worded, it could almost be taken that the crack repair was to the pickguard itself. In an email reply, I got the further info that the repair was to a crack to (the top?), inside of the 'guard.

Sorry about the above empty post. I meant to reply to Wily1's thoughts of how a single ebay bid with a high starting point does look a bit

questionable. But this '52 J-45 does appear to be pretty orig & I'm ... "interested"; that's why I was looking for anybody's thoughts on the axe.

Thx.

A sure sign' date=' is when the guitar after being "sold" is relisted with some story about....."the buyer flaked on me" could mean, his friend's bid, actually turned out to be the highest.....it happens[/quote']

1 more time to be lucky

Archived