Gibson Brands Forums

Tune-O-Matic

Nic LP

Another week end, another question for you guy :

I would like to know on which side should the Tune-O-Matic be installed :

1) with screws looking toward the stop bar, or,

2) with screws looking toward the bridge pick up.

Seems like both ways are ok, I've seen brand new Les Pauls with both situation. But is there an official side ???

Thanks again.

Nashville bridges have the screws facing the pickups and ABR-1 bridges have the screws facing the tailpiece. That's how they come.

Tim...

My R9 came with the screws facing the pup.

Perhaps someone was asleep at the custom shop.

Heres a picture of her the day I brought her home.

**EDIT**

I just checked a half dozen or so online......They all have the screws facing the pickup.

All ABR-1.....I feel better now. lol

PFR9.jpg

An ABR-1 is screwed directly into the wood. Then Nashville has an insert

like the stop bar. The Nashville also has more adjustment for intonation.

The ABR-1 also has a wire holding the bridge inserts in and can rattle amd

if you don't have the wire on if you bread a string that bridge insert will

fall out. As far as screw direction it can be either way allowing more

intonation adjustment. From the factory they come ABR-1 facing pickup

and the Nashville the stop tail piece. I saw the same thing with ABR-1's

Deepblue.

CW

It does not matter which way it faces, there is no right or wrong. All that matters is that the guitar intonates properly. The top of the saddles are sloped to one side to give you more "adjustment" depending on which way it is facing. On all guitars the saddle adjustment requirements will dictate which way it faces.

As for ID'ing the ABR-1 vs the Nashville, the ABR-1 has drop-in saddles held in place by a wire retaining spring running across the top of the adjusting screws. The Nashville is a little wider with non-removable saddles without the wire.

hey R9, what's your problem? first, you were telling that other guy his 90s LP was swiss-cheesed when he said it wasn't. now you're telling everyone the new ABRs dont have a retaining wire. stop trolling, k? thanks.

hey R9' date=' what's your problem? first, you were telling that other guy his 90s LP was swiss-cheesed when he said it wasn't. now you're telling everyone the new ABRs dont have a retaining wire. stop trolling, k? thanks.[/quote']

...Who's trolling? :P

Are Nine is a respected and knowledgeable member of the community. He doesn't have a problem--and "misinforming" others (even though I'm not certain he is, in this case) isn't trolling, in a strict sense. As far as I can tell, Tim's never, ever been a troll, and has never tried to be anything but productive and helpful.

On the other hand, here you are, breezing through this thread just to take the time to insult his integrity and question his motives? What's up with that, man? That's trolling if I've ever seen it. Abrasiveness and disrespect never got anyone anywhere. I suggest you learn that lesson quickly.

Here's my actual contribution: Nic, it looks like the screws can really face either way, but it seems like in general the ABR-1 faces the pickup and the Nashville faces the tailpiece. The major differences between the two bridges are in the distance between the posts (very slight, with a difference of less than 1 mm between the two types,) the length of the posts (the Nashville's posts are shorter by about .5 mm,) the thumbwheel diameters (the Nashville's thumbwheels have diameters which are 4 mm smaller,) and the heights of the saddles (the ABR-1 has saddles which are about 3.5 mm shorter than the Nashville saddles.) Besides these differences, and the retainer wire (which, as far as I can tell, the new ABR-1s actually don't have,) the Nashville and the ABR-1 are remarkably similar pieces. I think the screws can face either way, but if you find the orientation of your bridge to be unusual, you might want to pursue the reason behind it.

Best regards, all.

Hey Tim,

Which way do the Epiphones come?

:D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

Go ahead, call me a d!ck....

[cool]

Tim is pretty much on top of his game, so I don't bother trying to prove him wrong.

He's usually the first to catch it if he is.

[thumbup]

Before anyone speaks out they ought to know what the hell they're talking about. R9 is quite right on his replies, and as far as the ABR1 being directly screwed into the wood, what planet are you on, the both come with adjustment thumb wheels and threaded mounting posts. Do your homework before you speak,ignorance is not bliss is most cases.

...Who's trolling? [crying]

Are Nine is a respected and knowledgeable member of the community. He doesn't have a problem--and "misinforming" others (even though I'm not certain he is' date=' in this case) isn't trolling, in a strict sense. As far as I can tell, Tim's never, [i']ever[/i] been a troll, and has never tried to be anything but productive and helpful.

On the other hand, here you are, breezing through this thread just to take the time to insult his integrity and question his motives? What's up with that, man? That's trolling if I've ever seen it. Abrasiveness and disrespect never got anyone anywhere. I suggest you learn that lesson quickly.

sshhhh...the grownups are talking. i know timmy probably better than any of you except for maybe TG and Deepblue. many PMs have been exchanged and many more threads have been started by each of us over the last 2 years. sarcasm is clearly not your strong suit. i suggest you take your own advice.

Are Nine is a respected and knowledgeable member of the community. He doesn't have a problem--and "misinforming" others (even though I'm not certain he is, in this case) isn't trolling, in a strict sense. As far as I can tell, Tim's never, ever been a troll, and has never tried to be anything but productive and helpful.

As Fenn said, some guys here have known each other for a long time, so we, as

the Brits say "Take the piss out of each other"...we kid and joke knowing the person on

the receiving end is laughing too.

S'all good!

Before anyone speaks out they ought to know what the hell they're talking about. R9 is quite right on his replies' date=' and as far as the ABR1 being directly screwed into the wood, what planet are you on, the both come with adjustment thumb wheels and threaded mounting posts. Do your homework before you speak,ignorance is not bliss is most cases.[/quote']

No the ABR-1 post go directly into the wood of the guitar with an independent thumbwheel on the post.

The Nashville thunbwheel and post are one piece that screws up and down in a mount that is in the guitar wood.

I have both...........so the grade on your homework needs a little improvement ;)

Hmm... what year did they start putting the Wire on the original ABR? I pulled up some pictures of Vintage Les Pauls... and no wire, but a 59 I saw had the wire.

I don't see why they would get rid of the wire. isn't it necessary to hold the saddle screws in place, and also to keep them from moving?

And to clarify, neither the ABR-1 nor the Nashville are screwed directly into the wood. The ABR-1 has threaded studs that are driven into the wood, and then there are two threaded wheels that set the height. The bridge itself rests on top of that and is held on my string tension. The Nashville bridge has threaded bushings that are hammed into the wood. Then the height adjustment is done with a threaded post with a thumbwheel that has a post on top that the bridge rests on. In neither case is there a direct connection. Now, some brands such as Tone-pros have made locking studs and bridges that can be tightened into place for a more direct connection to the wood.

There are also other TOM variations out there. Carvin uses one that is recessed partly into the wood and has slotted bridge posts to adjust height.

Before anyone speaks out they ought to know what the hell they're talking about. R9 is quite right on his replies' date=' and as far as the ABR1 being directly screwed into the wood, what planet are you on, the both come with adjustment thumb wheels and threaded mounting posts. Do your homework before you speak,ignorance is not bliss is most cases.[/quote']

Your a funny guy who should practice what he preaches. Thanks Blackie

for explaining too the ignorant bliss.

CW

What I want to know is how you remove the ABR-1 posts from the guitar body?, if they are nailed in there would be no thread

and you could pry it out with the thumb wheel on. If it is screwed in you will cause some bad damage prying it out.

And if you grab the post with pliers you risk damaging the threads. So I am not going to find out the hard way on this one.

Hey Blackie

When I checked mine out it looks like the threads go right down into the

wood. Pulling would be a bad idea, your right. Tbone where did you hear

they are nailed in I thought I saw a pic that look like they were screwing it

in. Like a lot of things I could be wrong.

CW

Archived