Gibson Brands Forums

Who/what made you want to play an Explorer?

MojoRedFoot

IMHO it's just the best looking guitar ever. Growing up watching Ace, Adrian Smith, Pete Willis... It's the basic shape not just the Gibson brand name, but Gibson did start it all.

You have the Gibson Explorer, Hamer Standard, Dean Z, Ibanez Destroyer.... It's just that basic shape.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHTmHSqQEg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I saw Mathias Jabs holding one in a Gibson ad when I was 13. I thought it was the coolest guitar ever. I was really into Metallica as well so I had to have one. I only like the original Gibson design with the pointed headstock, not the split like Dean's. I don't like Hamer's version either. Something about it is lacking. The pointed edges are not as sharp, the headstock somehow looks goofy to me. I only like Gibson, ESP and Ken Lawrence. I hate the Futura model and whatever those Epiphones are. looks like a 5 yr old tried to draw an explorer.

I was a teenager in the 80'sand I was into Metal, Explorers were prevalent.

When James Hetfield switched from a V to an Explorer I thought it was the baddest mofo ever.

I like Explorers for the guitar itself, I do not care for other verions than Gibson, all I need is one.

I had that surgery done, except it wasn't brought on by headbanging. That is the reason for the Stiff Hand name, the nerves on my left hand get pinched by the vertebrae on my neck and I get big time stiffness, less than ideal when you play guitar.

If he has the surgery he will find out that the problem does not end there. Dave Mustaine has the same problem and will have the same surgery according to an interview I read.

I used to have a Hamer Korina Standard (explorer). It sounded great but was just too heavy for my back problems and due to the Hamer design it was difficult for me to access upper frets comfortably like an SG due to my hand size. BTW it was a beautiful guitar amd wish I didn't have to trade it in to get my XPT 700. Oh well Sh!t happens!!! BTW Johnny Winter was the first reputable player I had seen live using an Explorer.

in 1986 i decided to make guitar my life i was ten years old...it was james hetfield the white explorer he had in master of puppets..the closest i got was the epiphone 84 reissue explorer....it plays and sounds amazing....even though its based more off the esp design( far as the knob placement)

[biggrin] Your joking right ? Don't tell me it was a USA Hamer...

No joke and I doubt it was made in USA cause it only cost $450 new in 2008. Anyway a guitar that is unplayable is useless to me. A friend of mine bought it and gigs with it on occasion but he is over 6 ft. tall and has large enough hands to reach the upper frets. If you look at my current inventory you'll notice all my guitars have speed taper necks.

I saw the Explorer first in Def Leppard's "Let it Go" video...i was 14, i think....i fell in love.

Went to a shop, looked at the gibson wall and bought one...

After, James Hetfield came in my iTunes library....and...love forever for the Explorer [biggrin]

This is a good question. I'll be the first to admit that my Explorer is not my primary guitar. The way I got it is a story in itself. The short version is I traded a 2004 SG Standard for it. I did that because I hated that way that particular SG played, and though he was rarely seen playing one, the Explorer had something very Paul Stanley-like about it. I can dig that, so it was a done deal.

Here is my current lineup in order of preference ...

#1 2009 Gibson Flying V Factor X (Black and White ... AKA: The Rocket)

#2 2003 Gibson SG Special Faded (Worn Cherry ... 498T/490R)

#3 2003 Gibson Explorer (Black and White just like #1 ... AKA: The Wedge)

#4 2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio (FireBurst ... plays better after broken neck repair than it was when it was new!)

#5 2003 Gibson SG Special Faded (Worn Brown ... 498T/490R ... AKA: Old #1 ... going out next week to be re-fretted, receive some minor upgrades, and a setup ... this used to be my #1 recording/rehearsal guitar, and might be again soon)

I usually bring come combination of two of these to rehearsals, gigs, sessions, Etc.

E

Archived