Gibson Brands Forums

Fake aging

passthej45

I think of the fake guitar aging about the same way I think of the fake blue jeans aging. Remember when acid wash jeans came out? I never really liked the idea of someone ELSE aging my belongings. When I was young we used to skip out of school for the day, hitch-hike to the coast and swim in the ocean with our jeans on. Then we'd lie on the beach and let the sun bake us dry again. My jeans had the most beautiful faded blue color from years of doing this. I could look at the scars on my jeans and think 'oh, that's when Sandy and I fell down the ditch when JoJo (horse) kicked us' or 'oh, that's when Albert and I broke up and I drew sad faces all over the right leg of my jeans. I guess some of the ink never came out'. Likewise with the guitar..... I know where every single scar on my guitar came from, and while I don't particularly like them, they have personal meaning to me. 'Oh, that's when Craig and I were playing Dalton days and I hit the guitar on the music stand.' Those are the things I want to remember, not 'I got these acid wash jeans and don't they LOOK like I've had fun in them'

That being said, if you're a huge Staind fan, an aged guitar might be just the ticket. To each his own.

I think the whole idea is silly. Silly is the only word I can find to describe it. I rank it right up there with silicone implants.

I've got many old guitars and I can't account for dings and nicks that others have done to them in years past but I do know they happened over years of use. The one guitar I got new and have kept is the Tele, which I've had for almost 33 years. I can account for every little mark on it.

Just silly. Acid washed jeans, plastic lady parts, beat-to-crap guitars that still smell like fresh lacquer. Just frickin' silly.

But....

(there's always a but)

A few years ago I read an article about a 50s Les Paul Custom (black beauty) that had a shattered neck. I mean it was GONE. The luthier made a new neck for it. I believe he re-used the headstock overlay and fingerboard. In finishing the neck, he employed some of the techniques used in this whole 'relic' concept. He duplicated wear patterns based on comparing to others of the period, artificially weather checked the finish, the whole shebang. I'm sure the customer received a hefty invoice for the work, but the end result was restoration work that was impossible to discern.

So relicing does have it's place I guess.

Aging is about as silly as

pants on the ground, your mouth full of gold and your hat turned sideways

lookin' like fool with your pants on the ground

On the other hand, I do like tribute guitars. For me though, I can see a color aged tribute acoustic, but not a relic job on an acoustic. But, I really like some of the electric tributes with aging/relicing to match the tributee's guitar. Yep, my pants are on the ground. ;)

When you play as often and as long as I have, "pre-aging" a guitar would be foolish.

I think it's a sign of the times....that there is a market for "instant gravitas". Rather than EARNING your kudos, you get 'em pre-packaged right out of the box...much like a 21 year-old just out of college who thinks they should hire into a company as a VP, rather than at a job where they have to work their way up to whatever position they ultimately achieve.

I can see the overwhelming majority of people here are against aging....and I can understand that. I have one guitar, a Washburn 125th anniversary Parlor, that was "aged" as a theme to represent 125 years in business, I guess. I kind of like it, but it is an inexpensive guitar, and was a special run. The thing is......that I never have to worry about the first scratch. A recent forumite just lamented over some forearm "fog" on his new Gibson guitar,ruining his day, and I can understand that. With this little parlor, I have no such misgivings....lol. As a matter of fact, when I got it, I put a few dings in it right out of the box, for good measure. The neat thing about this guitar, is that is SOUNDS just like one of the real old timey ladder braced Parlors, even though it is "x" braced....a great sounding little gem.....here's what it looks like....

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0006.jpg

I kinda agree with ya'll on the aging thing in a way. As far as "fake" dings and scratches (Aaron Lewis SJ), I say "thumbs down". But the color on my SJ True Vintage is very appealing. To me, it doesn't look "vintage"; it just has a different "flavor" to it. The woodgrain and sunburst are beautiful. But the "aged hue" with the TV line is very appealing! Maybe this photo of me playing at a local gig can better describe what I'm trying to say....

DSC00015.jpg

Well, I for one dont mind a light wash on toner on a plain spruce top. Looks warmer. Ditto for on the binding, like on the 42L. New binding is just so... white. Forget the wear on artist models--that's unique to the artist. Generic wear, oth, Im agnsotic on, but dont see it as a selling point in the acoustic world, where the prevailing outlook is fussy in the extreme.

When you play as often and as long as I have' date=' "pre-aging" a guitar would be foolish.

I think it's a sign of the times....that there is a market for "instant gravitas". Rather than EARNING your kudos, you get 'em pre-packaged right out of the box...much like a 21 year-old just out of college who thinks they should hire into a company as a VP, rather than at a job where they have to work their way up to whatever position they ultimately achieve.[/quote']

+10

But....

(there's always a but)

A few years ago I read an article about a 50s Les Paul Custom (black beauty) that had a shattered neck. I mean it was GONE. The luthier made a new neck for it. I believe he re-used the headstock overlay and fingerboard. In finishing the neck' date=' he employed some of the techniques used in this whole 'relic' concept. He duplicated wear patterns based on comparing to others of the period, artificially weather checked the finish, the whole shebang. I'm sure the customer received a hefty invoice for the work, but the end result was restoration work that was impossible to discern.

So relicing does have it's place I guess.[/quote']

Well, yeah... but that's restoring a guitar neck and either a: refnishing the whole guitar to new condition or aging the new neck to match the body.

'Aged' look is earned. I see it every day when I shave. I absolutely HATE furniture that has been distressed. The latest ''distressing du-jur" seems to involve whacking the beautiful cabinetry at random with a board studded with 6, 10d nails. Then to top it off, taking a belt sander to some of the nice crisp edges. I will never buy new furniture that looks old. I've been forced into buying old furniture that looks old for to long, at Garage Sale prices, to spend the real money on faked aging. Plegh! [cool]

I think I'm with the Modfather on this one. Works well with electrics and Fender have kind of cornered the market.

And another thing.....I get more aged and distressed everyday and I'm leaving my guitars behind.

And as for plastic lady parts...............all I would say is don't knock it 'til you've tried it - not that I have.

With the Fender electric relics I have played one thing that the work helps with is smooth playability. This is one of the things many prefer with real vintage guitars, they seem to 'play themselves' in that respect. I'm not sure if they have the same focus with acoustics yet.

Marketing wise I think its a simple supply and demand issue. Vintage is becoming too rare and/or expensive so theres a market for 'Vintage-like'. So while impressed with relicing techniques to give a vintage-like playability (and of course looks) I'm not yet convinced anything has been done to give these guitars a more vintage sound. The True Vintage line does fairly well in that regard, enough for me anyway. Otherwise there's always the Tonerite machine! :-$

Archived