Gibson Brands Forums

Fake aging

passthej45

Part of what makes a guitar "your" guitar is what happens to it over the years. Dings, scratches, worn paint, chips, etc... its all a part of the "mojo" we put into our guitars. We become familiar with them and sooner or later no matter how much they are worth, they become something we can never get rid of. You can't get that from a new "aged" guitar. Besides, not everyone likes the artists. They don't play a signature model, they just played the hell out of 'em. Just like everyone else...

Well although I certainly wouldn't insist on it I wouldn't care less whether it was aged or not. If I was looking for a Gibson and I could get a relic'd one with a good price, sound and playability, I wouldn't turn it down because it was aged. I do think it is a silly practice, but I'd still take one!

I concur. Aged acoustic guitars look cheesy and silly. The subtle 'closet classic' patina on the Legends series looks lovely, but that's as far as I'd go as regards aging.

I've played some absolutely knockout Fender Custom Shop relic electrics, but I just don't want to play a guitar that has been aged by a guy in a factory. Besides, my guitars tend to do a lot of work, so by the time I'd had a Relic for a couple of years it'd be completely worn out!

Saturday I bought an old night stand, probably c.1940 (note art deco stairstep) for eight bucks. It's been painted at least three times. For whatever reason, they failed to paint the strips between the drawers. Scary pretty veneer there! But it looks so naturally aged and patinafied I refuse to strip and refinish it.

It's earned the scars.

2egfo6h.jpg

OneWilyFool .... I guess you and I can go against the well worn grain !!

These little Washburn Parlors just seem to look great with the fake aging.

And I got a big laugh when I took it into my Luthier for a little work and he starts out saying "hey ...here is a great little oldie!" then the look on his face after he studied it a little more and realized! The Set Up - $40 .....the look on his face - PRICELESS

Washburn_parlor.jpg

Undoubtedly. I really like that sort of sense of humour.

Have you ever come across Morcambe and Wise or The Two Ronnies?

"come across"? man...that's NASTY!!

But, I've heard of "The Two Ronnies" but I always thought it was Ronald McDonald & Ronald Reagan!!

"come across"? man...that's NASTY!!

But' date=' I've heard of "The Two Ronnies" but I always thought it was Ronald McDonald & Ronald Reagan!![/quote']

I'll post some clips over the weekend if I get a chance.

To rephrase, how about "stumble upon" then? No double entent there.

Archived