Gibson Brands Forums

Studio or what?

stonedoubt

I bought my first Les Paul yesterday and I think it's a 1995 Studio with the deluxe tuners (looks like Grover but says Gibson). I paid $800 (with original hardshell case) for it and I hope I didn't pay too much. There is some cracking in the finish on the headstock and the guy who sold it to me said that is a common occurrence with the type of finish (cellulose?)

Here are some pics.

lespaul.jpg

body_front.jpg

body_back.jpg

headstock_front.jpg

headstock_back.jpg

headstock_front_cracks.jpg

Did I make a mistake?

single piece 'hog body' date=' three piece maple cap, tobacco sunburst finish. serial number I think says it's a 95. Studio's usually say "studio" on the TRC though, so it might be something else. Definitely appears to be a genuine Gibson, just not sure what exactly it is.[/quote']

Thanks... I posted on another board and they confirmed it's a studio but also say that they haven't seen one like it before.

It s fine les paul you got. The cranks on the headstock looks cool. I see some may think you paid a little to much. But if its play good you have forgotten that in a while' date=' and its a Les Paul not everyone got. [/quote']

Damn right !

[blink]

It's a Gibson 95 Studio Lite a little different model or version of the studio, if I recall the main difference was nicer ebony fretboard and the big difference was a balsa wood insert (called chromyte) if I remember the name. It was in an attempt to lower the guitars weight and still have a solid body guitar without chambering. It's not a very popular model because of the Balsa wood so 800 was probably a little high but not too bad usually a 500 - 700 range lately for a 85% to 90% guitar. It's a cool color and if you think it sounds good then don't worry, you have a nice guitar in a cool color enjoy it.

edit - they quit producing the light in 98 if that makes a difference.

I bought my first Les Paul yesterday and I think it's a 1995 Studio with the deluxe tuners (looks like Grover but says Gibson). I paid $800 (with original hardshell case) for it and I hope I didn't pay too much. There is some cracking in the finish on the headstock and the guy who sold it to me said that is a common occurrence with the type of finish (cellulose?)

If you really like the guitar, you didn't pay too much. I would pay that much to replace my MIJ if I could get an exact duplicate because I know the quality of it and the playability. I've had it over 30 years. Most purists would not because of the name on the headstock. Please don't get me wrong, I love my Gibby too. Just different.

Any chance you could post a pic of that MIJ..?

I'll give it a shot.

This was before I swapped the pups to SD 59 neck' date=' SD JB bridge, all new electronics and a good polishing.

[img']http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/dleth/DSCF0618.jpg[/img]

DSCF0619.jpg

She sat in the case for around 20 years until this past year. Getting her fixed up got me back into playing. Still only 2 or 3 hours a week unless some buddies come over but she gave me GAS. Now I have my first Gibson. Next in line will be a R0

Archived