Gibson Brands Forums

Used Les Pauls

FinalSalvation

Hello everyone, I've been watching this forum for a while but just decided to make an account. Anyway, I wanna buy a les paul soon and intend to buy a used one. I've seen that there are a lot of fakes, and i intend to go to stores such as sam ash or guitar center. Anyway, at big stores like these do they make sure the guitar is genuine? If you buy from a reputable dealer are you definitely getting a genuine? Thanks

All go out on a limb here and say yes. Most of the big companies like Sam ash and guitar center order direct from Gibson. I know Guitar Center order limited runs of Gibson's that you can't find else where. If you ever in doubt about if it's genuine , you can always call Gibson customer service with the serial number to confirm it.

I'm also pretty sure that you can ask the dealer for the COA (certificate of Authenticity )

I also purchased my LP used off of Craigslist. I visited my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash quite often looking for a use LP. The process took a little over one year. Having traded some use equipment at GC, I know they look over the trade items very closely and I would doubt that they would be fooled into purchasing a fake Gibson LP. As for purchasing used equipment from them, I believe if they sold an item as a Gibson and found out later it was fake I would be willing to bet they would refund your money just based on the fact they sold the fake at a Gibson price. If your unsure about being fooled by a fake Gibson buying from a reputable guitar store is the way to go. Good luck in your quest.

Yes - you'd be fine at a large dealer.

Or, you could save some cash by going the ebay/CL route.

I've done it twice in 3 years with no problems at all.

Speak to the seller on the phone. Do everything thru ebay and paypal for the maximum protection. Get insurance on shipping (be sure to tell them it's a guitar). Above all else, get LOTS of pics and post them here.

WE WILL NEVER LET YOU BUY A FAKE!

If you're happy to pay dealer prices - that's fine. I've done THAT twice too!

Yes - you'd be fine at a large dealer.

Or' date=' you could save some cash by going the ebay/CL route.

I've done it twice in 3 years with no problems at all.

Speak to the seller on the phone. Do everything thru ebay and paypal for the maximum protection. Get insurance on shipping (be sure to tell them it's a guitar). Above all else, get LOTS of pics and post them here.

WE WILL NEVER LET YOU BUY A FAKE!

If you're happy to pay dealer prices - that's fine. I've done THAT twice too!

[/quote']

Yeah, I've been looking on ebay a little bit too.. Thanks for the replies everyone

I think ebay is the way to go.....You just need to check feedback, # of sales, and a seller that will communicate w/you. There are some fakes out there, but if you study up they should be fairly easy to spot. If it's a new seller than it's always a risk, and I'd avoid them-but with most people feeling the same way if they are legit, then the item can usually be snagged for a better price.

I bought a lot of my used gear through forums, namely the Heritage Owners club and Carvin forum. There also is a classified section here, and there is The Gear Page and other places that are pretty reputable. Also Check out Daves guitars http://davesguitar.com/ , Elderly Instruments http://www.elderly.com/, BCR music http://www.bcrmusic.com/, etc. You can find some good deals on gear, and all of these places are top notch and very honest about condition.

Buying used helps you save some cash, and also allows you access to guitars that simply aren't made anymore, like the LP classic, etc.

I bought a lot of my used gear through forums' date=' namely the Heritage Owners club and Carvin forum. There also is a classified section here, and there is The Gear Page and other places that are pretty reputable. Also Check out Daves guitars http://davesguitar.com/ , Elderly Instruments http://www.elderly.com/, BCR music http://www.bcrmusic.com/, etc. You can find some good deals on gear, and all of these places are top notch and very honest about condition.

Buying used helps you save some cash, and also allows you access to guitars that simply aren't made anymore, like the LP classic, etc.[/quote']

I'll check those out, thanks for the link =D

I think ebay is the way to go.....You just need to check feedback' date=' # of sales, and a seller that will communicate w/you. There are some fakes out there, but if you study up they should be fairly easy to spot. If it's a new seller than it's always a risk, and I'd avoid them-but with most people feeling the same way if they are legit, then the item can usually be snagged for a better price.[/quote']

+1

You can set up a search on ebay which will e-mail you daily with new items that match your search.

As soon as they're listed - get on to the seller to gauge whether they're interested in ending the auction for offers - do it quickly before they get more attention from other buyers.

I did that with my last (and current) Les Paul - the guy ended the auction for £1,000 - and in the week or so it took to sort postage, payment etc he got loads more offers/interest much higher than that. I guess people must search ended listings. Or they did the same thing as me but were too slow.

Try a few low offers - you'd be suprised at what people will take - especially if they're selling to raise some funds, which at the moment, sadly, a lot of people seem to be doing.

I don't mean to advocate exploiting people in hard times, but right now it really is a buyer's market.

Good luck dude.

There's lots of help here in the forum for you.

Archived