Gibson Brands Forums

question regarding marshall amp

ginbon9

I know this is gibson forum but I went to a local guitar store and hooked gibson sg with marshall 1987x head with marshall 1960 cabinet. I was expecting to get ac/dc tone by setting high treble to 10 but it was too loud and I only got clean tone by setting high treble between 2-3. How do you get a distortion with volume not so loud?

according to the manual: "Achieving the beautifully organic and vibrant overdrive which is their trademark, can only be done one way - crank 'em up!"

These are not master volume amps. You can get some different sounds by patching the two channels together but to get the real stuff you've gotta blast the sucker.

I know this is gibson forum but I went to a local guitar store and hooked gibson sg with marshall 1987x head with marshall 1960 cabinet. I was expecting to get ac/dc tone by setting high treble to 10 but it was too loud and I only got clean tone by setting high treble between 2-3. How do you get a distortion with volume not so loud?

As I posted earlier in another thread....

Read this.

.... Angus Young Interview ....

An interview with Angus Young, if you don't want to read it all just scroll down to the bit where he is asked about his amp and the settings he uses.

T21

Archived