Gibson Brands Forums

ID guitar

h**ley

Back in the early seventies I had a Gibson blond double cutaway hollowbody electric. It was a few years old at the time so it would have been a late sixties-early seventies model. I remember it being deeper than my friends es 125 and another friends what I think was a es 335. I thought it might have been a es 150 dc but looking at pictures I don't think it was 3" deep as the specs say. Any ideas as to which model this might have been? It might help to know it had dot position markers and dual humbuckers.

A catolog photo from 1975:

2742081137_30365360d4_o.jpg

The ES-150 DC is the only doublecut thick bodied ES I'm aware of Gibson ever making. They did make a pointy thick bodied doublecut, I believe it was a "Barney Kessel", and there were two "Trini Lopez" models, a standard ES style, and I believe another full bodied model.

Try googleing these models to see if that helps.

I have seen a Barney Kessel and it was not that. It may be I'm not remembering it correctly. Was there a model that was slightly thicker than the 335 or was their just the two body depths? It definitly was the same shape as the150 dc photo you posted. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

There are a lot more photos of the model here: http://www.joesguitarshop.com/1970_gibson_es_150_d.htm

There was no other fully hollow Gibson model that had this body shape as well as a deeper body than the standard thinline (1 3/4") depth of the 335. The 330 and the Crest were hollowbodies with that shape, but both were the same depth as a 335.

Archived