Gibson Brands Forums

Writing an Article about Les Pauls and need help!

jnstrom

I am writing an article about Gibson Les Pauls and I need the collectives help on these opinion questions.

1. If you were to buy a new Gibson Les Paul Model which would it be?

2. What is your favorite Finish?

3. Which Les Pauls do you own now? or Want to own soon?

4. What would you tell someone is the best feature of your guitar?

and the dreaded

5. Why would you pick a Gibson Les Paul over a different brand? (Fender especially)

Thanks for any help you can give:)

I am writing an article about Gibson Les Pauls and I need the collectives help on these opinion questions.

and the dreaded

5. Why would you pick a Gibson Les Paul over a different brand? (Fender especially)

1. Axcess, Standard or R9

2. Desert Burst or Heritage Cherry Sunburst

3. Own: Classic Antique (Fireburst Finish / Close to HCB + Black) Want to own: Standard Desert Burst or R9 Heritage Cherry Sunburst

4. Tone & playability.

5. Don't like bolt-on necks. Like Gibson's neck angle and fret nibs. Don't like slab of wood guitars. Like Gibson's Carved tops.

1.-Probably a historic reissue but, with a faded finish [-(

2.-Faded flame top

3.-Les Paul Standard Faded (honey burst), Les Paul Studio (white with gold hardware), don't know if it counts as one but white Melody Maker, modified.

4.-Depends on which one, my favorite amongst them would be the standard faded and the best feature would be the finish.

5.-I wouldn't. I would buy a fender telecaster, or have another one built for me (actually that would be the first choice).

and the dreaded

1. R9, Black beauty or Classic Antique, .. or a Standard Faded...

2. Lemon burst

3. See my signature

4. The sound, and the beauty of the beast !

5. Sound, comfort, value and look.

I think I need more SG's before I get an LP.........of course if I were to come across a nice black or dark Standard from when they made um.

5. Gibson guitars are the best instrument to use to have whatever you are going to play taken seriously before you ever fret a note.

1. If you were to buy a new Gibson Les Paul Model which would it be? A Les Paul Buckethead Signature

2. What is your favorite Finish? Triburst' date=' or Alpine White

3. Which Les Pauls do you own now? or Want to own soon? I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissue.

4. What would you tell someone is the best feature of your guitar? Everything. Amazing looks,tone,and playability.

and the dreaded

5. Why would you pick a Gibson Les Paul over a different brand? (Fender especially) I'd pcik a Gibson LP over other brands because its Gibson. Les Pauls are THE Rock and roll guitar, used by pretty much every popular rock guitarist, such as Jimi Page, Eric Clapton(early on) Martin Barre, Billy Gibbons, Buckethead, Zakk Wylde, Slash, ect.ect. For me, other guitars feels tiny and light compared to my Les Paul, thats got a big thick ten pound body. It makes those lightweight schecters, esps, ect.ect. feel like toys.

Thanks for any help you can give:)[/quote']

and the dreaded

I just wanted to quote you. In case someone else missed it the other times.

^ +1

and the dreaded

and the dreaded

1) I would buy an R9. I wish I did it before but I will someday.

2) Cherry Sunbursts.

3) Weight relieved Standard and a Chambered Standard.

4) The sound. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul.

5) I wouldn't. I love Fenders because they have a unique sound too.

and the dreaded

1. Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus or R9

2. Iced Tea ( as seen on the Axcess)

3. Gibson Les Paul Studio Wine Red; Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro or Plus

4. The great playability

5. prefer a chunkier neck, 50's style, that you can really grip and dig into ,unlike Fender's thinner necks,

Answer: A Les Paul Custom

Answer: I like all the finishes

Answer: I have a 1982 Les Paul Standard

and the dreaded

Answer: Pretty much everything except the volume pots need to be 500K audio and Gibson needs to use Paper in oil cap. Also I dreaded the Price tag of a new one.

Answer: Cause I have try Stratocaster' date=' ES 335 and other stuff and I keep coming back to Les Paul all the time.

Your Welcome

and the dreaded

1. Hands down, another Les Paul Custom

2. I'd go for either another Alpine White or a Wine Red...both are just sexy finishes

3. I currently have a Les Paul Custom and two Les Paul DC Pros

4. Best feature of the Les Paul Custom is definitely the tone and I really dig the ebony fretboard. As for the DC Pros, I like that they're unique and you don't often see them. I really dig the tone of them as well, it's different from the LP Custom, but still definitely a Les Paul tone. It has that nice warm, fat tone that sustains for days.

5. I'd pick a Gibson over a different brand for local availability and the fact that the Les Paul just goes hand in hand with rock n' roll; they've established their place in the history of rock the same as the cranked Marshall amp. As for why a Gibson over a Fender specifically, I find the Les Paul much easier to play and it has the nice warm, fat tone that the Fender can't dream of achieving.

and the dreaded

1 i would want a weight relieved or solid body along with a 60s slim profile neck - what model would that be?

2 flame maple / root beer / one with a top covered in small square mirrors (I think edge used one in pop mart tour?) jk

3 old style double cutaway

4 tone and feel of a quality instrument

5 so many reasons. they're alll unique items and they sound so awesome!

and the dreaded

1. Les Paul custom

2. Dark Cherry as found on the discontinued angus signature

3. Les Paul Standard 2008, no new soon , down payment blues at the time for me(The new angus sig i bought)

4. On my Les Paul 2008 Standard, i always tell about the asymmetric neck. Those who try it love it

5. I pick Gibson for the whole package, The sound, look, feel ,history, value over time

except the volume pots need to be 500K audio and Gibson needs to use Paper in oil cap.

tazz...what makes you think that 500's would be better? Or is that a personal preference? Have you upgraded to them?

And re. the PIO's' date='likewise...as above? Do you ride your volume/tone controls much?

[sad

and the dreaded

1. Custom Shop- 1960 reissue burst or a '59 reissue burst

2. T.B.

3. 2005 standard faded '60's neck, T.B. (modded), 1960 ,'09 reissue ebony color,2009,'59 reissue rustburst

4. Only Gibson Les Paul's sound the way they do.and playablity. not dreaded but needing to upgrade to 500k lin. pots

there is a big difference.500k pots,they clear up the muddiness. also try a Lightweight Aluminum Tailpiece, imho, huge change in tone.

5.If you take the time to choose a good Gibson , the difference is vast over Fender. I own 3 Strats and they have a place for the sound they give but from what i see of Fender now. i would not buy one. imho.

'09 LP R9 / 50th Aniv. no pick guard, zebra coils / color: rust burst

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony-color

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B. ( with RS-kit, cts pots & B.B.'s )(just added burstbuckers 2 &3)

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. LPDC (trans blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)with CS fat 50's pups

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck) with CS '69's pups

1987 Japan Squier by Fender Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

2008 Mashall JVM210H with 1960ax cabinet

2010 Fender blues deluxe reissue

4....not dreaded but needing to upgrade to 500k lin. pots

there is a big difference.500k pots' date='they clear up the muddiness....

[/quote']

Yes and no.

Not meaning to jump on you,but it all depends on what pups you're using/how you play/personal preference/amp used/whether you ride the controls etc.

The 300's will do fine otherwise,I have found at least.

Now,if you're really having issues I'd always firstly go for new better quality caps. That's where you'll find most of the muddiness you describe comes from.

You want more top end,upper mids-go for a 500.

Though as I said...it all depends...[thumbup]

1. Les Paul Axcess Custom

2. Tobacco burst

3. Gibson Les Paul Push Tone (also own an Epi LP Ultra II hybrid)

4. My LP Push Tone allows quick swapping of the pups - I've got three pair: Burstbucker Pros, 57/57+ & P94

5. Set neck, mahogany body, humbuckers = killer tone. Tone, feel, looks.

Yes and no.

Not meaning to jump on you' date='but it all depends on what pups you're using/how you play/personal preference/amp used/whether you ride the controls etc.

The 300's will do fine otherwise,I have found at least.

Now,if you're really having issues I'd always firstly go for new better quality caps. That's where you'll find most of the muddiness you describe comes from.

You want more top end,upper mids-go for a 500.

Though as I said...it all depends...:- [/quote']

It's all good for me and with a Les Paul i find the 500k's clearer. but that's just my opinion. I do use my vol. & tone controlls to change the sound of all my axes. I guess it also depends on the pot itself as they all have different resistance. everybody likes what they like and we all hear alittle different. I found with my 2005 standard faded that when i did the RS guitarworks upgrade to 500k pots and bb caps there was a big difference. stock pups BBpro's very nice pups . I do agree with you on added brightness it came though as soon as i tested it.

It's all cool ....... as it can be changed back whenever you like.

also alot of people never use their tone controlls, which keeps them out of the loop.(the caps have no effect on tone when not used). I think we are going off the thread so ....... be cool ,Lowdown

jamman

It's all good for me and with a Les Paul i find the 500k's clearer. but that's just my opinion. I do use my vol. & tone controlls to change the sound of all my axes. I guess it also depends on the pot itself as they all have different resistance. everybody likes what they like and we all hear alittle different. I found with my 2005 standard faded that when i did the RS guitarworks upgrade to 500k pots and bb caps there was a big difference. stock pups BBpro's very nice pups . I do agree with you on added brightness it came though as soon as i tested it.

It's all cool ....... as it can be changed back whenever you like.

also alot of people never use their tone controlls' date=' which keeps them out of the loop.(the caps have no effect on tone when not used). I think we are going off the thread so ....... be cool ,Lowdown

jamman

[/quote']

Good stuff jamman.

Exactly the answer I was hoping for.:)

Sorry if I came over harsh,didn't mean to mate,was just interested in your own personal take on the 500 upgrade.

I lot of the time,I find it unneccesary and just another rehash of the "but that's what should be loaded in an LP to get that sound" tale.

As you said - it's all personal.:-

Nah,I don't think we're off the subject-it's all relative.

[cool] ...always.

Good stuff jamman.

Exactly the answer I was hoping for.[smile]

Sorry if I came over harsh' date='didn't mean to mate,was just interested in your own personal take on the 500 upgrade.

I lot of the time,I find it unneccesary and just another rehash of the "but that's what should be loaded in an LP to get that sound" tale.

As you said - it's all personal.[thumbup

Nah,I don't think we're off the subject-it's all relative.

[cool] ...always.

cool man , i thought that's what forums were for , talking about our opinions. Also gaining knowledge and getting info. I didn't take what you wrote in a hostel way and respect eveyones(and yours) thoughts on what they feel. life is to short to worry and get upset about what people think. people can dissagree on something and still respect one another. If your happy with the way your axe is set up, that's all thats important. it's your axe. keep jammin

jamman

and the dreaded

1. 50th Aniversarry 60' Les Paul Standard

2. Honeyburst or desertburst

3. Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson Dark Fire, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, Epiphone 59' Les Paul Standard (all are owned)

4. (Dark Fire) + Robot technology helped me a LOT! - not neccesarily dreaded but the inlays could look better

5. Feel, sound, looks, quality, NO BOLT-ON neck, and because of all the famous guitarists who played it: Jimmy Page, Les Paul (the guy who created the guitar), Ace Frehley, Paul Mcartney etc.

Hi,

1. A leftie, "58" style re-issue, w/ripping, AAAAA flame maple tobacco-burst.

2. See above, or (2nd) jet black, as are my guitars (see below).

3. My identical twins, "Lester" and "Paula", two leftie jet black LP customs w/Protector cases.

4. The sheer elegance of the LP Custom: Solid construction, violin-like neck angle, curly (yes, curly) ebony fingerboard, MOP inlays, the body binding, the gold hardware- the sheer elegant look of the LP Custom. Next, the speedy, slick, fingerboard. And, of course, the famous LP sound (with the help of a "SD Custom" [bridge], and a "SD 58" [neck]). Paula also has a Kahler trem, and a phase switch (for the two pickups), which absolutely howls in distortion/overdrive mode (sounds kind of "squonky", clean).

5. What don't I like? What else? THE WEIGHT!! My babies are late '78; no chambers, and solid maple necks, to boot: HEAVY, baby, HEAVY!!

6. See number 4 above, and to summarize: Value, being the name, and the quality.

Les Paul Junior

Desert Burst or Classic White

3. Which Les Pauls do you own now?

LP Studio

Tone and playability

Nothing else sounds like a Paul, and I fell in love with that sound at a very formative age. =)

Archived