Gibson Brands Forums

Can Anyone Relate to this?

daveinspain

Hippies were ill-informed and possibly just stupid.

They were all a bunch of kids too young to understand what they were aspiring to - the Beatniks they wanted to emulate were in their 40's - and the "Hippies" were a bunch of sub-20-year-olds trying to be cool.

It wasn't all that.

Hippies were ill-informed and possibly just stupid.

They were all a bunch of kids too young to understand what they were aspiring to - the Beatniks they wanted to emulate were in their 40's - and the "Hippies" were a bunch of sub-20-year-olds trying to be cool.

It wasn't all that.

Yeah imagine those stupid young people wanting love, peace and an end to war... How stupid is that? Go back to the rhino forum...

Gawd those were great days. I was only 11 when that was going on but I still remember it well. I loved my faded old bell bottom jeans, all frayed on the bottom, covered with velvet, embroidered and leather patches. I loved my leather tooled belts with marijuana leaves all over them. And my leather hair barrettes with peace signs. I loved my patchouli perfume, and my old purse made of hemp. The music was the best, the people were the best, the attitudes were the best. Everyone cared about everyone else. Not like today where people upload videos of people punching each other out. What the hell's with that anyway? Why would you celebrate violence? I just don't get it, nor do I want to. I wish the hippie movement would come back. I'm proud to call myself an old hippie. Someday I'll get back to BC where I can walk around barefoot for most of the year.

Nothing wrong with the mentality. Modern day hippies annoy me. Well, more specifically the "college hippies." The ones on my campus where I went to school and the ones you encounter here in Richmond irritate me because they protest and that's about it. They shout their statement in public areas and call it a day. War, nuclear power, gas, meat, whatever. They don't DO sh!t. They drive old cars with worse gas mileage than newer ones. They don't do their homework on nuclear power (the company I work for is nationally recognized for lowest emissions and cleanest facilities and surrounding lakes). Smoke a ton of weed and go to Taco Bell and Subway. Both large chains run by "the man."

Before you say I'm generalizing, keep in mind I attended school with these people and I know some personally.

Wonderfully Naive! But, Stupid? Nah...just very young, hopeful, and wanting/willing to try something different!

"Peace & Love!"

There were plenty of very smart people, then, as now. It was a time of great change, and that led to even

greater hope...naive as it might seem, now. There was plenty of hubris of youth, too. Nothing new, there!

And, that is still quite common, now. A lot of it, was drug fueled...and, a lot of dreams, as well as a few of our

idols, were killed, by that, too. Something we're still dealing with, unfortunately. "Woodstock" seemed, at the

time, the culmination, of what was "good/great" about the '60's, hippies, etc. "Altamont," seemed the opposite pole...the beginning of the end, symbolically. The Manson Family slayings, too...all happened, in 1969! It was an amazing time, all around...good and bad. We tend to remember the good, and push the bad back. But, the

Kennedys, and Martin Luther King slayings, Vietnam's escalating insanity, were as much a part of the '60's, as

hippies. So, it was no bed of roses, at all. Still...it was a great time, in so many ways...musically, for sure! I always think of '64 to '74 as being the golden era of Rock music...or just "popular" music, in general. But, after 1969...

things gradually started to kind of "unravel." Still, I'm thankful, to have grown up, then!

The "Hope" (naive, as it may have been), and the positive energy, that it spawned, was infectious. That much,

I DO wish we'd get back to. It feels so "Dark" (to me) now, by comparison....even with all the bad things we had,

back then, as well. Just my, very capsulized, 2-cent's worth.

Peace! ;>)

CB

Nothing wrong with the mentality. Modern day hippies annoy me. Well' date=' more specifically the "college hippies." The ones on my campus where I went to school and the ones you encounter here in Richmond irritate me because they protest and that's about it. They shout their statement in public areas and call it a day. War, nuclear power, gas, meat, whatever. They don't DO sh!t. They drive old cars with worse gas mileage than newer ones. They don't do their homework on nuclear power (the company I work for is nationally recognized for lowest emissions and cleanest facilities and surrounding lakes). Smoke a ton of weed and go to Taco Bell and Subway. Both large chains run by "the man."

Before you say I'm generalizing, keep in mind I attended school with these people and I know some personally. [/quote']

Modern day hippies ?..... man aint no such annimal ....what you got there is an infestation a .............come on there is a name for it............pot head no life experience morons.......OK .colledge boys ,you are gone find me or one of some several hundred thousand of my Veteran brothers in a bar sometime maybe next week .........an you say the wrong fu_king

thing ....your gonna find out the cost of all these wars you and your classmates pretend to give a dam about........

protest ?.......volunteer to help out at the VA.........help the USO.......help somebody out ........for F-ck sake

your classmates pretend to give a dam about........

protest ?.......volunteer to help out at the VA.........help the USO.......help somebody out ........for F-ck sake

That's what I'm talking about. They call themselves hippies. These are the same people who bash OUR men and women who put their lives on the line so we do not have another 9/11. Make no mistake, Blackie. I am in no way associated with these "hippies."

Hippies were great.... What a wonderful time it was.

For me the Grateful Dead pretty much sum up the Hippy Movement in a nutshell:

They wrote some cool tunes' date=' portrayed themselves as the missionaries of a supposedly "enlightened" way of thinking, and they were always ready to criticize "The Establishment".

But:

When things got ugly at Altamont, instead of really trying to "make things better", they got into their helicopter and hauled butt, and 30 years later they sued a poor crippled guy in order to steal the guitars that Garcia had left to this person in his will:

"After Garcia's death, the ownership of his Wolf and Tiger [guitars'] came into question. According to Garcia's will, his guitars were to go to Doug Irwin, who had constructed them. The remaining Grateful Dead members disagreed—they considered his guitars to be property of the band, leading to a lawsuit between the two parties. In 2001, Irwin won the case. However, due to being a victim of a hit-and-run accident in 1998, Irwin was left nearly penniless. This forced him to set Garcia's guitars up for auction in hopes of being able to start another guitar workshop." (From the Wikipedia entry "Jerry Garcia".)

Hey folks, it's 2010. The Hippies vs Service Men thing ended before I was borne, and I'm not young. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone these days that doesn't respect and admire our service men. That's today's truth, and it should be acknowledged.

The "Hippie Resurgence" of the 90's was a music and fashion statement, since it was peace time, there wasn't a lot of protesting going on, just dancing and eating. Unfortunately that scene was taken over by Techno DJ's and Raves [cool].

Anyway, the 60's are gone and the social tension eased. Let it die.

Hey folks' date=' it's 2010. The Hippies vs Service Men thing ended before I was borne, and I'm not young. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone these days that doesn't respect and admire our service men. That's today's truth, and it should be acknowledged.

The "Hippie Resurgence" of the 90's was a music and fashion statement, since it was peace time, there wasn't a lot of protesting going on, just dancing and eating. Unfortunately that scene was taken over by Techno DJ's and Raves [sad.

Anyway, the 60's are gone and the social tension eased. Let it die.

This is not and is..... in a way the same deal my friend .......the parameters of the situation have been orchestrated by

those that need people to join the military and also have plenty folks in school and doing all there jobs as if nothing is any different............the 60's are gone you say yeah........social tension eased........let it die you say...........

Well I am gone tell you a little something there.....BULL MOTHERFU-KING SH-T all that has occured is our esteened government has swept the horrible human cost of this perpetual war BS under your fu-ckin carpet and it needs to be

exposed for the evil that it is....You want to hear a term from back in the day that if you had bought some stock in

you would be set...Military Industrial Complex.......Money .......Money .........Money........while my brothers are blown apart

and maimed and sent on back to back combat tours......................../

..........................Yeah just let it die that 60's sh_t is all better now !!!!!! .....................

.......................................WAKE THE FU-CK UP AND WORK TO BRING OUR PEOPLE HOME NOW !!............

OH and I love that song and if I member corectly me an a bud were jamin to it hurtling along in a hum-v as an EFP (explosively formed penetrater)

went off on the guys right behind us ........an we got half sideways off the burm........stumbled out deaf.......picture what a guy would look like with

a plate a molten copper mixed with the hum-v door steel blasted through him about mid level of what used to be a body of a guy you looked up to for

how to ......................

Sorry.......I know I am out of line nobody wants to hear this ............ I am gone go way while leave yall lone................

I never meant to imply todays wars should be ignored. I was referring to the Hate Breeding among the general population that occurred in the 60's. That's what should die. I don't think todays wars were mentioned in this thread until right now, I thought it was about Hippies.

By all means, lets demand an Immediate Withdraw from the middle east, but it's going to have to be service men demanding it, cause that's all that is allowed to have a voice in these conflicts. Civilians are immediately discredited when speaking out against these wars.

Archived