Gibson Brands Forums

Furious...

Silenced Fred

Good thing we got a court reporter............now everyone back to your corners !

[cool]

Let it slide mate and move on. The seeds already been planted now anyway...[cool]

Remember -one door closes as another opens.[biggrin]

So start lookin'...I've always been a big believer in fate. + Positive fate.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first band I was ever in at 15, practiced in my basement so all the amps and drums were always there. One evening the rest of the band showed up at my door and said they needed to get the equipment. Seems they got a gig and a new guitar player.

It caught me totally off guard and I was crushed. I thought these guys were my buds but in a couple of weeks I hooked up with some other guys and just worked at getting better and learning all I could.

This won't be the last band you play with, thats the good news.

It's always chemistry not so much skills that keeps a band together.

PS. If this does spell the end for this group make sure ya get all your stuff( music,mics,chords,pedals,etc). I've lost more equipment over the years everytime a band I was in broke up. Good Luck!

Yo if there is talk in the wind of this and that etc. against you and as you have stated the music you are playing is not that much what you would like...

I am going to tell you right now do not be a follower..........do not just go along with whatever because you want to fit in.....it is a waste of your time if you are not enjoying 97 percent of the deal.......go make your own music and start your own band.

+1

These are pearls there man... No matter what their plans are in the first place, it doesn't deserve it beeing in a band and taking the sh!t if you're not actually enjoying this. Hell, they may even of ditching you for any irrelevant reason judging by their musical direction (although, this is not very wise from my side - jumping into conclusions that is). The question is: do you actually enjoy beeing in this band or not? Perhaps you should look further in your future and take some decisins before others make them for you...

PS. If this does spell the end for this group make sure ya get all your stuff( music' date='mics,chords,pedals,etc)[/color']. I've lost more equipment over the years everytime a band I was in broke up. Good Luck!

Sh*t yeah. I even lost "partnerships" in 2 PA's(albeit vocal-still).

NEVER go into a partnership with a band for ANYTHING! EVER! edit-unless you get it in writing that you will be paid out in full upon leaving.

Took me being stung twice to realize that.

Not that it's any of my business' date=' but I can clear up this situation.

"Fred61" has confused your post with a remark from "Riverside":

[/quote']

Spot on the money bud.

Cruzn- please accept this large novelty check as a reconciliation prize (it has no monetary value, but its the thought that counts [sad] )

I've calmed down quite a bit, I am not going to make a huge ruckus, just ask my one friend about it, he SHOULD give me an honest answer, but if there is any hesitation on them saying it isn't a lie, I'm walking [lol]

It's gonna suck if I have to, but it will be better than being there with asses

The first band I was ever in at 15' date=' practiced in my basement so all the amps and drums were always there. One evening the rest of the band showed up at my door and said they needed to get the equipment. Seems they got a gig and a new guitar player.

It caught me totally off guard and I was crushed. I thought these guys were my buds but in a couple of weeks I hooked up with some other guys and just worked at getting better and learning all I could.

This won't be the last band you play with, thats the good news.

It's always chemistry not so much skills that keeps a band together.

PS. If this does spell the end for this group make sure ya get all your stuff( music,mics,chords,pedals,etc). I've lost more equipment over the years everytime a band I was in broke up. Good Luck!

[/quote']

I got you, I have a feeling I might have to call it quits anyways, but who knows?

That's the way this was, we have had some good practices, there was one we met at the bassists house, he set the time to be there, he was still asleep, and then everybody else showed up TWO hours after the set time. If there is any hint they want me out, so be it. The analogy to Jack White was spot on, everybody listens to rap/house music around here, nobody plays bass or drums, coupla kids play around on guitar, not many that good, but if you look, you can find tons. Hell, even at the SamAsh they have a spot to look for new band members by putting up posters and flyers, in a year, I have seen less than 10 that are looking for guitar players, there are generally at least 30 new posters a month. [sad]

I got everyone, but for me, this may make me the d¡ck in the band, but I had a feeling they wouldn't be into what I was into, so I found a way to make it work, play some stuff I like with them, work on my own stuff, but most importantly, use this to learn how to play out. If I can play out and do a good job on songs that I don't like, then maybe I will be better when I find a group that fits me better. If I can have those failing experiences like I posted about before (missing my cue when I had to sing QOTSA) then so be it. I would rather have those now, so I won't have to have them later, although I probably will.

It's a lot on my plate and I got a ton of other stuff on my mind, so when I heard about this, I was appalled. But every thing will get sorted out today.

Sounds like you might be overreacting at this point. It could be the case that they want you out, but that shouldn't make you mad in my estimation. It should, however allow you to realize that this might not be the band for you. Don't stay with em just cuz they are the only drummer and bassist in town....you're young and you have time to get out there and meet the right people.

As many people in this thread have mentioned, band politics can be tough....if you're with the wrong band. We went through 4 drummers and 7 bass players over 5 years in my band til we found the right combo. Once we found it....oh man was it great. Never a chore to rehearse or jam....shows were so much fun...writing songs came quickly and easily. So much so that we had to focus on only the best songs for our gigs.

A band is a partnership...there may be a more vocal "leader" but in my opinion, everyone in the band deserves a voice...if you don't get that voice (and you want it), then beware.

I suppose its possible that they don't want you out....and don't rely on your skill to spot a lie when you ask your bud...its an uncomfortable question to ask a friend so there may be hesitation even if its not true.

Thats all I got. Being in a band is supposed to be fun, not infuriating. I wish you luck sir!

Here is what you do, get a Zoom - type hand held recorder, or go to a drug store and buy a cheap voice activated one then go to practice, hide it behind your amp, or in a partially closed guitar case. Then after a few songs, pretend you have a call on your cell phone you have to take and leave the room. Spy on the punks! Interrogations take on a whole different life when you have them on tape!!!!

Just kidding,, sounds like they are going a different direction then you may want to go anyway.

Not that it's any of my business' date=' but I can clear up this situation.

"Fred61" has confused your post with a remark from "Riverside":

[/quote']

Thanks, freak, I was still trying to work out where I'd mis-stated something. Appreciate the illumination.

Spot on the money bud.

Cruzn- please accept this large novelty check as a reconciliation prize (it has no monetary value' date=' but its the thought that counts [confused )

It's too late for that, Nate, I was so upset with your post I jumped! That's right, I got the tallest chair we have, pulled it into the middle of the room, climbed up on it and jumped off. Right in front of Mrs. Cruzn and Lucy the Lab. They were devastated, of course.

Band politics are weird. Hard to say what's up with your situation if no one else is stepping up. I'm not a confrontational type so it's not something I enjoy doing. But sometimes you gotta just ask your buds whassup and make 'em look you right in the eye when they respond. You can tell what's BS and what's not.

And' date=' if you gotta walk, be cool with it. Spit happens. Back to the woodshed if that's what it takes. It's probably not the last time you'll be involved in a "personnel change". Good luck, mon.[/quote']

I think Cruz has this nailed. Band politics are weird.

There are more reasons than you can imagine for why a band would want to fire someone... maybe they feel you're too involved with school..... too involved with your girlfriend..... too involved with the drummer's girlfriend..... too anal....... bad breath......

I was kicked out of a band when I was 17, (since I was born during the Truman Administration, you can figure how many years ago this was!), and it was because I wasn’t old enough to play in bars. Nothing to do with me musically, personality, girlfriend or breath.

And I agree.... say thanks, wish 'em well, and leave.

If you're dedicated, you'll get another gig.

It's too late for that' date=' Nate, I was so upset with your post I jumped! That's right, I got the tallest chair we have, pulled it into the middle of the room, climbed up on it and jumped off. Right in front of Mrs. Cruzn and Lucy the Lab. They were devastated, of course.

[/quote']

In that case... can I have your gear? B) I feel terrible for saying that now :-

Well, I don't have a girlfriend, drummer is a girl (so her girlfriend would be amazing), I am not anal (that's what she said) and I always chew gum. No I talked it over with the bass player, one of my friends, and he didn't hear anything about kicking me out, but because this band was school formed, they are talking about splitting the band since we have 4 guitar players as it is :-

I would be ecstatic with this, because the people who want to do the songs I don't like want to form their own thing, personally, I think this would be for the best.

I want to see how this all goes, but it would be good except then I would have to handle most vocals.... :- But I feel up to it

Maybe your band is looking for someone with different sound or personality. Someone I know was booted from a band not because of his talent but because they were looking for more personality… he was straight up serious and on time and laid down killer sound… just too monotone personality wise. Ask them what’s up and if it’s true, plug in and sing them a **** you song and say goodbye.

Sh*t yeah. I even lost "partnerships" in 2 PA's(albeit vocal-still).

NEVER go into a partnership with a band for ANYTHING! EVER! edit-unless you get it in writing that you will be paid out in full upon leaving.

Took me being stung twice to realize that.

This is the best advice I have read in this forum!

I was in a band where we bought most of our equipment like lights, soundboard and PA out of the money from our gigs. One day when we met for practice, all this was gone. One of the guitarist decided to pawn all our stuff and skip town.

What was even more shocking was that the guy returned after a week. I will let your imagination tell the rest of the story.

I'd be very grateful if you'd point out exactly where I asked you that. I don't see it in my post. And it was never my intention to express any such reservation.

I was confused when he came out like that on you. [biggrin]

Your post was great!

When in doubt whip it out.

I will do that' date=' we are playing a girls basketball game, so that should go over well [biggrin

Read my last post, I think it was a rumor, kid might've been trying to stir sh¡t, the one I heard it from.

We might split up into smaller groups, and that would work out better IMO

I will do that' date=' we are playing a girls basketball game, so that should go over well :-k

Read my last post, I think it was a rumor, kid might've been trying to stir ****, the one I heard it from.

We might split up into smaller groups, and that would work out better IMO

[/quote']

I solve things with Violence...just dont do what i do and you will be fine. [biggrin]

Archived