Gibson Brands Forums

Getting Gibsons Attention

chadgillies

About three months ago, this beautiful Gibson Guitar found me. It whispered in my ear(with perfect tone non the less) buy I am your guitar. I fell in love with this guitar, Gibson true vintage acoustic beauty. It cost me more then what I make in a month. I am still paying it off.

I am learning new chords, writing new songs, performing at coffee shops with this beautiful guitar. She is the talk of the town!

When I bought this guitar, the true vintage case was broken, something the store I bought it from hid from me until I was nearly out the door and was late for an appointment.

I took the case on the words of the manager. He promised he would get me a new case as quick as possible.

He contacted gibson and they refused to give him a new case. They only made enough (they would how ever give me a standard gibson case) cases to cover the limited number of guitars they made.

I was really upset, so I went through all the regular channels (distributors, management on and on). Nobody wanted to take responsibility for getting me a new case.

So here I am about 5 months later, just wondering if anyone has any idea on getting gibsons attention?[confused]

Huge fan of the guitar, a little upset with the customer service!

Bummer, chadgillies, I don't blame you for being disappointed. I've had zero occasion to ever contact Gibson Customer Service so I'm of no help to you here, other than to suggest that some other, more knowledgeable members will soon wander by and offer some real help.

Welcome to the forums and good luck getting this sorted out. If you're certain the store actually concealed the fact that they KNEW the case was damaged, IMHO your fight starts right there.

What is wrong with case? Can it be fixed.

If it can be fixed, I would put pressure on the store owner to get it fixed for free. I would then bug Gibson customer service every day until they did something about it. I am sure Gibson can have it sent to the manufacturer for a repair.

If there are no more of whatever case is supposed to come with the guitar, then that's all there is to it. Your choices become:

a) Accept the standard case

B) Ask for a discount on the guitar (some money back)

c) Ask that the case be repaired

d) Return the guitar for a full refund

If there are no more of whatever case is supposed to come with the guitar' date=' then that's all there is to it. Your choices become:

a) Accept the standard case

B) Ask for a discount on the guitar (some money back)

c) Ask that the case be repaired

d) Return the guitar for a full refund[/quote']

The problem isn't Gibson's unless the case was warranted and the failure was due to a manufacturing error, design or material.

If the case was broken by the store, it was the store manager who promised you a replacement case. Your complaint needs to be against the store.

I don't recall ever seeing any warranty on a case, but I could be wrong.

Be thankful the problem is with the case and not the guitar!!

I think the shop are really lame if they don't give you a new case. They could easily do that from their stock. I had a similar situation back in 1993 with a Martin I bought in Texas. A week or so after I got it I noticed that the (moulded) case was gaping open at the end that takes the headstock. I contacted Martin, but they were very unhelpful. I called them and wrote to them, and in the end I got this massive letter signed by Mike Longworth giving me really complicated instructions about where to hit it with a mallet etc. It was a joke . . . the man hours used writing that letter must have cost more than a replacement case!!! In the end I just bought a Hiscox case and kept the original at home (still have it). Hiscox cases are great. They are REALLY tough and not overpriced. I have got one that I have taken to the USA, Australia, Hong Kong, all over the UK and it's still as good as new, except for a few scuffs here and there. It's a solid but lightweight case and I now use Hiscox cases as road cases for most of my guitars, leaving the original ones at home. Gibson cases look nice but they are not that tough.

my '08 TV LTD. ED. J45 came with a messed up case. it wouldn't open or close without a fight. the guitar was from ltd run of 167. i bought it from fullers in tx. i told them the case wasn't gonna cut it. they put me in direct contact with don in bozeman. he told me they were having problems with all the cases for this run and had replacements on order. they sent me a new one that worked and i returned them the old broken one at their cost. call bozeman CS if the shop that sold it to you won't help. did you buy the guitar new or used from the shop?

No, the store was more then willing to get me the new case, but gibson does not have any, thus telling me to be satisfied with the standard case. Special guitar deserves special case.

It would be like buying a porsche, finding out the tires were faulty, then porsche telling me well you can have some cheaper Michelin tire. To me that is just bad customer service.

Thanks for all the feedback though!

Chad

What exactly is "broken" about the case? Latches, hinges, handle, lining, pocket and such can all be repaired. Unless it was run over by a truck or something, take it to a luggage repair shop or shoe repair place and get an estimate on repairs (or just get it fixed). Then you have a hard $ amount to negotiate with the store (or whomever).

Really? I got a bad case from Gibson a couple of years ago and when I called them about they sent me a new one like right away. The only thing wrong with the case was that it fell over when parked on it's side, but it was irritating to me that it keep falling over.

Archived