Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson Guitar

sdjjadk

Hello all,

I'm new here to the Gibson forum and I am the proud new owner of my first Gibson guitar. It is a used SG and so I thought I'd join the forum. :-

I have a question about the guitar and was wondering if anyone could help.

I am trying to figure out what year it is. The serial number is 80627586 I have tried researching it but I have had no luck in figuring it out.

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks and happy strumming, :)

Shawn

Hello all' date='

I'm new here to the Gibson forum and I am the proud new owner of my first Gibson guitar. It is a used SG and so I thought I'd join the forum. :-

I have a question about the guitar and was wondering if anyone could help.

I am trying to figure out what year it is. The serial number is 80627586[/quote']

Welcome to the Forum....

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

March 3rd, 1987

Production Number: 86

T21

Wow thanks to everyone for the help! [lol]

Next question, how do I post pics? I see an insert image option, but it doesn't let me browse to where my pics are.

But for now I will upload them to my facebook page and post the link.

I got the guitar for $400.00 and when you see the pics, you'll see that it's not without it's dings, but that's what I like about it! It even has the original hard shell case that is very road worn. I got the guitar from the original owner and he modded it for a Kahler Tremolo and he installed 2 EMG-81's but he gave the original pickup's and hardware in case I want to restore it back to original which I may in the future, but for now I am very happy with it and it plays absolutely fantastic! [lol]

Shawn

Nice lookin' SG. [biggrin]

Hi' date='

Thanks for the compliment and posting the pictures for me. [cool

Is the fretboard rosewood or ebony?

The fret board is Ebony

What's the toggle for?

The switch is for the coil tap from the factory

and who put the locking nut on? . . . Previous owner?

everything is factory except for the EMG pickup's and the tremolo and the previous owner did the installation himself.

wow. that thing has been routed for a kahler. I wonder if it was originally for one. It was either original' date=' or repainted when the kahler was put on. Now the kahler is gone, with an ABR-1 and fine tuning tailpiece in its place, but the locking nut remains.[/quote']

I run lights for the original guitar owners band and I am a bass player in another band and when I picked up the SG yesterday I didn't have much time to get the full history on it as I was running late for my band practice. But I am going over to his house next week to learn a new Roboscan controller and I will see if I can't the full scoop on this guitar and report back.

Also that is a sweet looking SG in your avitar. Is that a picture of yours?

Shawn

wow. that thing has been routed for a kahler. I wonder if it was originally for one. It was either original' date=' or repainted when the kahler was put on. Now the kahler is gone, with an ABR-1 and fine tuning tailpiece in its place, but the locking nut remains.[/quote']

I just found out that this particular SG is an Elite model and it came from the factory with the locking nut and the Tune-o-matic Bridge. Also, the finish is a Pearl White which was a factory color option for this model. so I don't think it was ever repainted, only the cavity for tremolo was painted to match the rest of the guitar.

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/1987g.html

Shawn

yep' date=' 2002 SG Supreme in some kind of blue color. I forget the exact name they used for it.

and of course, gotta post the full size picture

[img']http://www.tbonesullivan.com/SGs3.jpg[/img]

That Supreme is beautiful!!! I've always wanted a Supreme Les Paul or SG, but the price tag has always been too prohibitive. [biggrin]

Shawn

IMHO, I believe your white SG is a 1987 model based on the first and fifth digits of the serial number. The yellowing of the neck binding, coil tap switch, Kahler, etc all reflect an '80s vintage. Also, I don't know anyone who would install a Kahler on an 07 guitar. I recommend that you check with Gibson to verify the date. Congratulations on an excellent deal ![biggrin]

Great loking guitar dude. I was curious if the coil tap works on the EMG's I have never seen it done before or is the coil tap for the original pups?

Hi,

How are you?

Thanks for the compliment. #-o

The switch was wired to activate the EMG's but I have the original pup's and original wiring to wire it back to factory including the coil tap.

Shawn

Hi, I believe it's an SG Elite......... I had one in 1988, it had the TP6 Bridge and gold hardware. It came in a brown leather-style case with pink inside. During that year, Joe Perry was endorsing that model, the SG Elite. It was a nice guitar and I believe they made them from 1986-1988. Either way..... it's a collector's item. The original pups were a PAF in the neck and I think a 57 classic in the bridge. hang on to it, it's a limited edition if it is an SG Elite. If I had a picture of the headstock and closer pic of the bridge I could be certain.

Yep, it's an SG Elite, once I looked at your other pics on page 1 of the forum I was able to see the headstock. What the previous owner did was remove the flip locking system on the nut and replaced the TP6 bridge. Those ebony fret boards on that particular model were really dense and you could get some excellent squeals out of that baby. I ended up trading mine in 1990 for a 74 Marshall MKII 50 W head with 1 4x12 slant 1960 B checkerboard cabinet with the original 25 w greenback celectian 16ohm speakers. I still have both of them to this day. My buddy still has the SG but he stopped playing and it's literally sitting in the case since 1990. What a shame................. best of luck and play her well.

Archived