Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a FAKE on eBay?

upl8tr

Hi guys/gals,

Nubie here, looked at the forum for a while but never felt I had anything to contribute till tonight.

Please have a look at this and tell me what you think, I’m no expert but when I saw it, it immediately said FAKE to me?

What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1984-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-Ebony-OHSC_W0QQitemZ280457517754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item414c921aba

or

eBay number: 280457517754

(Very sorry for the Double Post, but I thought I should probably post this here as it concerns a les Paul)

I did some looking at the ebay lp..... I then looked compared photos of an actual les Paul custom. I didn't see anything that was not the same except the pick guard. I do wonder though if that is the original pick guard because more customs came with a black pick guard. I could be wrong though or the person swapped it.

I'd ask for the serial number and call Gibson to verify

I don't know why' date=' but the headstock looks a bit small to me.

Craig[/quote']

Hi, yer i wud have to say that was what first caught my attention, but not just that it "didn’t look right", It was also the fact that I have never seen a LPC where the inlays went under the truss cover and tuning peg washers, WTF?

They are also incredibly poorly inlayed (craftsmanship wise) and the dot of the "I" just looks plain wrong to me, I know there are some gibos with no dots but when they have them, they usually line up with the top of the other letters (I believe).

Anyhoo, at this point I’d like to reiterate, I’m asking rather than stating a fact and what I think on this particular instrument comes from a gut feeling rather than solid knowledge on the subject, however I’d be gutted for all those ppl that have bid on it, if it was fake.

BTW, I checked just before coming on here and it’s already at $1000......

All thoughts welcome.

They are also incredibly poorly inlayed (craftsmanship wise) and the dot of the "I" just looks plain wrong to me, I know there are some gibos with no dots but when they have them, they usually line up with the top of the other letters (I believe).

Many of the late 70's - late 80's had the dot in the i lower like this one. Also many had a crappy finish like you see here. It's not a bad inlay, but the clear coat over the inlay that is lifting. Pretty common with that era LPC's.

Hi' date=' yer i wud have to say that was what first caught my attention, but not just that it "didn’t look right", It was also the fact that I have never seen a LPC where the inlays went under the truss cover and tuning peg washers, WTF?

Anyhoo, at this point I’d like to reiterate, I’m asking rather than stating a fact and what I think on this particular instrument comes from a gut feeling rather than solid knowledge on the subject, however I’d be gutted for all those ppl that have bid on it, if it was fake.

BTW, I checked just before coming on here and it’s already at $1000......

All thoughts welcome.

[/quote']

On my 80 LPC a small part of the diamond inlay is slightly covered by the TRC. Also the condition of the diamond inlay has nothing to do with craftsmanship, and has everything to do with that guitar being placed in compromising thermal environments which caused the finish to craze.

It's definitely real, though I'm not sure when Gibson sized down the headstocks, but that 84 LPC appears to have the large Norlin headstock.

The black nut is nothing more than a graphite nut..... a common mod.

The i is normal.

based on the persons feedback (100%) I think you can have some level certainty that everything might be OK. However when it comes to EBay......BUYER BEWARE.

I've purchased a vintage archtop on EBay (the one in my sig), and it came from the UK..... That particular experience pretty much warned me to never purchase a vintage guitar off of eBay again...... There were so many things wrong with it, that it cost more to fix, than the original buying price[blink].... Certainly I wasn't overly upset, and didn't leave a bad mark on the guy... He explained it the best he could and didn't have knowledge of what a warped neck was and a fingerboard lifting off the neck, and tuners installed backwards.[biggrin] ... In the end I now have a great playing achtop that ended up running $900 instead of $300#-o

If I'm in the market for a vintage guitar, I have to see it and play it first.

Try and do you due diligence if you are really interested.

good-luck[cool]

Hi All,

That LPC sold for 1625.00 Dollars which is 1014.10 in real money (Pounds Sterling, LOL).

Also, the seller is now a power seller from today, so must be ok eh?

Well, in any case, if it is a fake, the buyer will be on here by the end of the week looking for advice so we’ll know soon enough!

Cheers to all who replied and took the time to check it out.

Archived