Gibson Brands Forums

First Guitars You Started With - Back To Your Roots

Dazed

Squier Strat that I bought in one of those Starter kits back when I was 11... i couldn't stop playing it until I got pneumonia for a month, and missed a talent show we were going to play... I stopped playing until last year, and now you just can't stop me.

I later traded that in, because the strings were (no joke) .50 inch off of the fretboard, got a samick lp copy, then sold that and bought my Gibson.

I hope to later this year buy an Am. Std. Strat (White with rosewood fretboard)

first guitar was a jackson electric (not sure of model), lovely flame transparent red. i got it from soho soundhouse on totenham court rd many moons ago it was on offer £279 down from £429, after 6 months i sold it to one of my guitar teachers other students and bought my teachers fender strat usa deluxe off him, it was pink with a maple neck and lace sensor pups...my first propper guitar [biggrin]

One like this... it's an Audition. I understand they were the UK's version of the old Woolworth's store brand.

audition-1.jpg

I have been refused audtitions because of this guitar... one dude laughed at me when I told him I played an Audition.

It was very gratifying to have someone run across an old practice tape of me playing it and ask me "Who is THAT??"

[biggrin]

First guitar was a old beat up Sears electric guitar handed down from my brother. Real POS. The first real guitar I got was a brand new 1981 Ibanez Destroyer DT-400CS. Get this, my mom bought it for me under one condition... I get my hair cut. Needless to say I grew it right back.. [biggrin]

Man this has been a great read!

ok since some of you are showing pictures lol. Back in 1990 I had my Les Paul already but was looking for something with a Floyd Rose. My buddy had just purchased a white Martin Stinger for $189 that had a Floyd Rose on it. I believe this was Martin's first entry into electric guitars. Well when I got to the store, the only thing they had left was a pink one. So to this day, I still have a Pink Martin Stinger SSL-1 sitting in a case. My daughter will get it when she gets older. Man I can't find a pix now sorry!

Info on these guitars if interested - http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=1135

My very first guitar was a Yamaha acoustic that I ended up selling to a hippie friend of mine who played it "until it wasn't playable anymore." After that, I got my first electric - a D'Agostino - which I still own and needs some work (understatement) to get to be playable again.

Not-so funny thing is, when I was a teenager, my father brought home a Les Paul Custom for me to try out (probably with the intention of buying it for me) and I said I didn't like it because it was too heavy. Young, dumb and full of ***.

Guess I was a little lucky. I played some keyboards in a band (mid-late 60s). My parents basement became the primary practice spot (equipment storage spot for a couple of bands as well). There were all sorts of interesting stuff to fool around with (Ludwig/Slingerland drum kits, Fender Jazz bass/ampeg B-12, Hagstrom guitar VI_TSB.jpg/standel 4x10 solidstate--that used to "cut out", Gretsch Anniversary much like this one 6124-59.jpg and an unclaimed Harmony (broadway?) acoustic as well as a 2x10 Tremolux, a Premier Reverb and assorted fuzz/wah peddles). Spent a lot of time in the basement learning from the Hagstrom's owner.

First puchase was in '68-'69 a Gibson LG-12, I still have it. It sounds great, looks nice too.

Harmony acoustic 6 string in sunburst. I eventually got bored and refinished it to "natural" It died during a move in about 1976 when it got left in a car in west Texas that pretty much melted all the glue. Came back to a pile of wood more or less. The second wasn't really mine - an Alvarez 12 string that belonged to a girlfriend. While it wasn't too hard getting rid of the girl, it about killed me to give that guitar back!!

First Guitar was a Global student sized acoustic that I still have around.

Then a Harmony acoustic from Sears.

Then an Astro P-Bass copy

Then, finally a real guitar, 1988 Stratocaster. Still have it and just upgraded the pickups to Lace Sensor.

Archived