Gibson Brands Forums

Black Knight

rcintio

Well' date=' I found http://www.electricguitarsuk.com/blue/black-knight-cf-180q-guitar-thru-blue/ and http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Black-Knight-STD-50Z7-7-String-Guitar/8ON that back up Rewddawg1's assertion.[/quote']

I saw the same thing and a SC model but nothing to indicate that there are any ties to Gibson USA.

Thanks All. I'll take a picture and post it. It is def a Gibson from the early '80's. I bought new from a reputable dealer. There were a couple of them in the store as I recall. Went there to buy a Tele.

The Black Knight has a LP body shape, a BOLT-ON neck and six on a side tuners. Zebra or Dirty Fingers pups. Plays and sounds great.

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I bought a guitar labelled as a Gibson Black Knight. It was marked up as £299, but the shop assistant mistakenly only charged £199 (I also blagged a free flight case into the bargin [cool] ).

It has been well played over the years, but still in good condition. It has a great sound and really flies with some distortion or overdrive.

Recently I decided to find out a bit more about this 'Black Knight', but I have found very few references to it on the Internet; this forum was one of two useful pages.

Here's what I know:

Serial number shows - Nashville Plant, TN, USA, January 26th, 1984, Production Number: 37

The only clear Internet reference was in a list of Gibson models, "Black Knight Custom (Les Paul single cutawy body shape w/beveled edges....available 1984)"

However, I think mine has been modified as the tremolo is from Kahler USA, Inc. I did take the pups out many years ago to see what they were, but I don't remember now; I seem to remember they were Seymour Duncan (maybe [cool] )

Pictures here:

Does anyone have any more information about this guitar?

• 3 weeks later...

I have this exact same guitar. I traded it for a flying V back in the mid 80s to a friend I met in the Army. He used to work for Gibson in Kalamazoo and said he bought it there at employees cost. Bolt on neck, Kahler tremelo, carved body where your forearm rests. The exact same guitar in the picture. He told me the guitar was called a black knight as well. The kahler is not a mod, it was factory installed for this model.

How do you like yours, Gearhead8? Was it a Gbson V you traded away for it? Any regrets? That would seem a trade down if it was a Gibson V.

My only complaint is the thing is at times prone to going out of tune rather quickly. I rarely use the tremelo but put the arm on for the pictures. It is fun to play and sounds great.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Archived