Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
myspace.com/jessenoah

what kinda country music you like?

For me, it all starts with Hank Sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvLeCMTofE

Merle Haggard knew what he was doing...

And so did Waylon Jennings.

Of course, in addition to Hank, Merle and Waylon, I grew up listening to Gram Parsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zR-tKVt0VU

And his band (The Flying Burrito Brothers) and their brilliant Country-Rock music, which has had much more influence on me than I often care to admit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLdIy9iIW2I&feature=related

I could go on, and on, and on about Country music, but I think that this is more than enough.

And BTW guys, if you couldn't tell: I'm back! [-(

The kind thats in the next room turned down real low............

Just kidding!

The lastest pop stuff I don't care for except for Alison Krauss but love all the old school stuff.

Waylon, Willie, Cash, Cline, Hank sr.

I've never been too fond of country but I do enjoy this song. I think Paisleys tele gives it a country feel, that may just be me.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I'm loving the sound of that tele man.

Zack Brown:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Miranda Lambert:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XYh_NhQAkQ[/YOUTUBE]

and of course Brad Paisley and Keith Urban...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7iaYKUrBM[/YOUTUBE]

and whatever else is on the radio or CMT [biggrin]

HUGE country fan.

As a kid I could ONLY listen to Country music.... our only radio was tuned to some C&W station in San Jose, (KEEN?), with Cottonseed Clark and Blackjack Wayne.

I, of course, drifted toward Rock 'n Roll...but never fully abandoned my "country roots".

Favorites are "The Hanks", (Williams, Snow & Thompson), Willie, Jimmy Dickens, Lefty Frizzell, Webb Pierce...and probably a dozen more I'm not thinking of right now.

This is sorta what and how I like stuff... (Western Underground)

Old Willy Nelson progressions...

Bluegrass...

Ian Tyson stuff...

Whatever... <grin>

Actually pickin' basic country with other folks who know some of the same stuff and like pickin' together is pretty darned much fun. It seems there's less inclination around here at least to do a "cover" as much as to do a good song...

m

Not crazy about what country music has become thanks mainly to hank jr and waylon. Like the old stuff. Like Paisley's music but not his lyrics. Vince Gill is good. Love blue grass- Doc Watson, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, and Tony Rice. Gotta love Danny Gatton, Chet Atkins, Bob Wills, and Merle Travis. Love rockabilly.

I'm watching Steve Earle right now on Austin City Limits and enjoying it very much.

The closest I get to country is blue grass. LOVE IT! Also Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Lenny Breau. That's pretty much it. Whatever this modern country thing is today, I can't handle. Not to say I haven't tried. Just aint my cup o tea

Guys...

This thread is an example of how so many embedded Youtube type things can really gum up some computers.

It virtually froze my browser for nearly five minutes, and I have high speed web access...

I love the music... but get frustrated at the freeze.

BTW, Chet Atkins is, in ways, playing as much jazz or classical in his pickin' as "country."

I blew it as a young picker' figuring "oh, he's a country picker." Sheesh. Had I known then... <grin>

m

It's a little better on this thread...

BTW, if you like Garth and "friends in low places," you gotta hit the Chris Ledoux link in my earlier post and look for "Five Dollar Fine for Whining." Garth even plays a short role on the vid. <grin>

m

For what it's worth, on reflection...

I got noticing that "rock" and "country" and even "bluegrass" ain't what they used to was.

For example, I just got done listening to some some Asleep at the Wheel - western swing? Jazz? Country? Some of Willy Nelson's stuff is somewhere between jazz and blues - but because of the instrumentation, it's called "country???"

I think we all have some habits of listening - believe me, I'm pointing at least as much at me as anyone else - and as musicians tend to listen to "my kinda music" to the point we don't try to hear other stuff.

I dunno.

Some of the stuff I like best likely woulda been considered "rockabilly" or something along those lines 50 years ago.

I dunno.

m

Any and all...

Big and Rich do push the envelope a might, but even though they inject some urban flavors, it is still C/W.