Gibson Brands Forums

what kinda country music you like?

I believe that Brad Paisley is probably one of the BEST alive and active guitar pickers around right now and not just country.

I believe that boy could pull off heavy metal if he wanted to.

I think he also has the best lyrics going of any country artists right now too. I love his sense of humor and how it comes across in his playing and lyrics.

IMHO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that Brad Paisley is probably one of the BEST alive and active guitar pickers around right now and not just country.

I believe that boy could pull off heavy metal if he wanted to.

I think he also has the best lyrics going of any country artists right now too. I love his sense of humor and how it comes across in his playing and lyrics.

IMHO

+1.

Brad Paisley's a cool guy. :-k

That's H3? Eh... I guess the F word is okay for a HonkyTonk in NC, but it ain't my cup o-tea. At least he did keep on GOO tradition... no drummers. Yup, at one time drummers weren't allowed on the GOO. They do tend to get their bundies in an unch over little stuff from time to time.

The second vid of 'urban cowboys' is an interesting take. I kind of liked it. Was one of them citicowboys throwin' dirty clods at the heifers? (approx 0:58) Not nice. [lol]

Where I live, there's only 2 kinds of music...Country, & Western! (It's an old joke)

I'm old school, for most Country music. But I have always liked the Flying Burrito Brothers,

Poco, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield's country influenced stuff, etc. And, Brad Paisley is a

"Monster" guitarist, no doubt.

CB

Okay... another from the old guy...

I don't think "country" is "country" in the sense that it was when I was a kid or when I was playing "country" in the late 60s and 70s."

A lot has to do with which audience is hearing what stuff. Label it "country" and have a few certain types of sounds and now it's "country" whereas with different instrumentation or at least instrument "setups," it's something else.

As for Country musicians being good guitar players... Sheesh, guys... Most of the gigging "country" musicians I know are pretty darned versatile, but are making money or whatever at country.

What, for example, is Willy Nelson singing when he does "stardust?"

Also, as Chris Ledoux put into one song, "Even cowboys like a little rock 'n' roll..."

From stuff available on Youtube, it appears also that the reverse is also true. The Rolling Stones always did some country from the beginning and ain't changed. Can you imagine Mick singing "Bob Wills is still the King?" Hey, it's up there.

A lot of crossover... always has been, likely always will be.

m

I like most country... there are artists I don't like, modern and classic, and there are those that I like a lot. Country has come full-circle in my lifetime, I feel, and never really left anything behind. When I was born we were moving out of the "old" style, and into the new, more pop-influenced. Johnny Cash had lost his contract with Columbia and Billy Ray Cyrus was getting ready to start his. We've reached a good middle ground today, I think. There's more all-around talent on CMT than on VH1, in my opinion. I can identify the talent even in the groups I don't like, like Lady Antebellum, whereas VH1 I see a lot more pretty faces with all of the musical ability being in the shadows. That's not to say there aren't pretty people fronting country groups that shouldn't be, but it's a different ratio.

Regardless of how you feel about country music, though, you can't deny that it has more than its share of great guitar players. Brad Paisley, though I'm not a huge fan of his records, is a great guitar player. Country and rock are two different branches of the same family tree... I don't know why people think it has to be one or the other.

I'm not a huge fan of Taylor Swift's music, but I have an enormous respect for her. This is a girl who's very close to my own age and has accomplished more by age 20 than I can dream about doing in my lifetime. It doesn't hurt that she's attractive, but she does have a talent, as a writer at least, if not as a performer.

And if anyone knocks Willie, I will find you.

Funny thing...

I use my little Netbook as my office "stereo."

Roy Buchanan is currently playing "Sweet Dreams."

That's a "country" song, right? At least it was when Patsy sang it. She was "gone" by the time it was released, but...

m

Here's one to think about...

Note how some of the Brit rock legends have been more than occasionally pickin' with the U.S. "country" folks.

Way I see it, we Americans - almost certainly including Canadians if not Mexicans and Central Americans who know anything about the US music scene - see more divisions in music than the Brits do as a whole.

In fact, if you look at a lotta stuff from the 50s and 60s, it's kinda hard to tell the difference in "pop" and "country" because there was so much crossover stuff.

Again... Here's "blues guy" Roy Buchanan... there are tapes of him pickin with "country" folk, "jazz" folk, "rock" and "blues" people and material.

He's picking very "Buchanan" regardless.

My point on all this is that I think we do ourselves a disservice often by trying to categorize people's styles - and yeah, sometimes even bits of music... Heck, one of the Byrds "folk rock" things in the 60s included a "guitar lead" that was right from Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."

BTW SG fan 420... Of course you'd like Cash and Perkins bein' from Memphis. <grin> Been there, done that. I'd add that a lotta those early "rockabilly" folk were a lot better pickers than they got credit for. But part of that was as much technology as anything.

m

OOOWEE DAAYAAM!

Though there are some "EXCEPTIONAL" Geetar Pickers playin' country music and my hat's off to 'em, if I had a hat, I'm sorry, the stuff makes my ears quiver and my upper lip curl. And I tend to hate country trying to pass off as rock worse.

Give me Classic Rock, Hard Rock, some good ole' R&B, mix in a little old Heavy Metal [the real stuff] and I'm a happy guy.

To each their own . . . just a personal preference! [cool]

canon....

Having lived through the "classic rock" and "hard rock" era as a picker and radio listener... seriously, it was a lot more complex era of musical symbiosis if you will... Crossovers with rockers playing stuff written as country songs and vice versa way back in the 50s and 60s. Willy Nelson writing country and playing ... well, jazz? Beatles playing non-rock "rock" of the '63 period... Orbison singing ... what style? I dunno. How much of the Beatles stuff would qualify as "rock" by earlier definitions? Mamas and Papas? Rock? Not Rock? Bob Dylan? What the heck, Beach Boys?

I wasn't into "old time fiddlin'" until I was kinda needed by some friends to help back up a batch of 'em in the early 1970s. I could lay down a rhythm guitar line for most of the stuff they guys were playing even though I'd never heard most of it before. Both a breakdown and a waltz per fiddler. Funny thing is that I still don't care to listen to the stuff, but I think I had as much or more fun playing it than anything else I've done.

Some 45 years ago a girlfriend bent the arm of a folkie/bluezie guitar picker boyfriend so rebellious he even rebelled against the rebels. She twisted so hard the arm almost broke. She wanted him to take her to a Beatle movie "Help." A folkie-bluezie listen to rock if there's a choice not to? No way. <grin> Oops. We went.

Ain't seen the girl since late August that summer of '65. Lots of other personal stuff went on too that made the summer memorable, too, but... That late fall I ended up in a rock band. Right now I'm listening to one of the Beatle songs from the movie. Sheesh.

Frankly I'm not all that fond of a lot of either current rock or country - which is why I'm listening to old stuff, too.

m

OOOWEE DAAYAAM!

Though there are some "EXCEPTIONAL" Geetar Pickers playin' country music and my hat's off to 'em' date=' if I had a hat, I'm sorry, the stuff makes my ears quiver and my upper lip curl. And I tend to hate country trying to pass off as rock worse.

Give me Classic Rock, Hard Rock, some good ole' R&B, mix in a little old Heavy Metal [the real stuff'] and I'm a happy guy.

To each their own . . . just a personal preference! :-

It's hard to believe that with a name like 'Garth', you don't like C/W. :-&

[bored][cool]:-k

"I got friends in low places

where the whiskey drowns

and th beer chases

my blues away...."

Just remember... Rock and Roll CAME from country via the likes of Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley.

Your welcome ... from Naishville. [crying]

I love country music, Johnny Cash being my hero. I have to say that i also like the new stuff like brad paisley and the chix with dix (oops.... i mean the dixie chicks)

Theres something honest and heart felt when country performers start to sing and play.

I just worry that too many groups and artists get lumped into country because they dont have a definite pigeon hole to be bracketed as.

It's hard to believe that with a name like 'Garth'' date=' you don't like C/W. [confused']

Sadly, I am a year older than the Garth that has money and I frankly think he owes me royalties. I mean since I had the name first and all . . . yeah, that'll hold up in court.

I can honestly say I cannot name a single Garth Brooks song though and it's a fact I am actually proud of.

As far as rock and roll coming from some cross between country and R&B or whatever, all I can say is thank gaud it crossed over. I think it had more to do with R&B.

I can also honestly say that I am not coordinated enough to do chicken-picken to any extent, but I don't care . . .

No one on this thread that loves country should take anything I say to heart. Like I said, there are amazingly talented country pickers. An opinion was asked though and I gave it. Can't stand the stuff. But rockabilly and doo wop are considered rock and I can't stand them either. Hence my specifics about Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Early Metal, etc.

It was perhaps even the mind altered affects of the late 60s that brought around the genres that started to float my musical boat. My woman done me wrong became, Hey Joe.

Archived