Gibson Brands Forums

buying a les paul.

boblogan

I am completely new to Les Pauls. I have been playing for about 25 years professionally. Ready to make a purchase. I'm thinking about the '57 VOS. Also thinking about a new or used Custom. Can somebody help me with my questions? The difference between the '57 vos pickups and the custom pickups? I'm out of the country and unfortunately will not be able to play the instrument before ordering. I can however return within 45 days. Both of these guitars sound great. Would prefer the ebony fretboard, but also looking for that fat rich tone from the bridge pickup. I play a lot of R&B and jazz. But also use a little bit of distortion in my solo tone.

Any info would help.

Thanks

If by the 57 VOS you mean the gold top ( there is also a 57 VOS Custom) reissues have Burstbucker 1&2 in

them. The Custom has 490 & 498 pickup. I have a guitar with a set of each and they are both great pickups.

The 498 / 490 will be the hotter set of pickups.

CW

Thank you guys each for your reply. Very helpful. I am leaning toward a custom. Unfortunately I am currently playing in the orchestra on a ship and can't get out and play any guitars. I've played a few back home and know that I love them, just didn't know the differences between pups. The whole VOS thing is very misleading, if it only refers to the finish.

Thanks again.

Archived