Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Identifying Value and type of Gibson Guitar

Robert37

Hello,

When I was 7 (1977) my grandfather passed away and left me his guitar. I have been trying to find out the value and year of the guitar for years and have had many numerous responses regarding the age and value.

Can someone please help me?

It has the serial number of 97075 on the back of the neck.

Those are the only numbers on it.

I'm unsure on how to insert images so if someone can help me that would be great. (I've uploaded the photo to my Avatar)

Thanks

What rocketman said - looks like an ES-330. I don't know what year it is but it looks pretty old and the format of the serial number reflects that.

Gibson serial number info:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

It's probably worth a good chunk of money so you might consider taking it to someone who can give it a proper appraisal.

Here is some more info:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html#es330

According to that web site, it might date around the early 60's since it has a cherry finish and block inlays.

1959 Gibson ES-330 introduction specs:

Thinbody, double cutaway, fully hollow body, 1 or 2 P-90 pickups with black covers, tune-o-matic bridge, trapeze tailpiece (Bigsby vibrato optional), laminated beveled-edge pickguard, single bound top, back and rosewood fingerboard, pearl dot fingerboard inlays, neck joins body at 15th fret, crown peghead inlay, sunburst or natural finish.

1962 Gibson ES-330 specs:

By mid 1962 the small block fingerboard inlays replace dots, nickel pickup covers replace black plastic pickup covers, cherry finish available. At first the pickup covers were nickel plated plastics (rare), but then quickly changed to nickle plated metal covers. Also the "ears" of the body became more pointy and less "Mickey Mouse" style.

The 1959 Gibson ES 330 is exactly what it has.

How do I find the value of such a guitar? My problem is I still play it as it has the most amazing sound. Not like my Fender but if I want a Blues sound then it's brilliant.

However if its worth something then I want to preserve it for my son by placing it in a case or something.

Does anyone from Gibson ever drop in here to clarify as I received an email saying it's a 335 instead of a 330. I have no clue what the difference is.

Also the serial numbers don't add up for the 59 Gibson according to Gibsons Blue Book.

The Serial number is ink stamped on the back of the headstock and its 97075.

As more information is thrown at me the more it confuses me. It could be a 51, a 47, a 59.......none of it makes sense.

I appreciate all your help guys and don't worry this beauty isn't going anywhere.......

The 1959 Gibson ES 330 is exactly what it has.

How do I find the value of such a guitar?

That's a really cool guitar.

Gruhn Guitars here is Nashville do appraisals, whether is in person or through pictures. They charge a fee but their name is recognized.

Here is the link, click on appraisals.

http://www.gruhn.com/

Does anyone from Gibson ever drop in here to clarify as I received an email saying it's a 335 instead of a 330. I have no clue what the difference is.

Also the serial numbers don't add up for the 59 Gibson according to Gibsons Blue Book.

As more information is thrown at me the more it confuses me. It could be a 51' date=' a 47, a 59.......none of it makes sense.[/quote']

IT IS NOT A 335....... it is an ES-330.

IT IS NOT A '51, 47, OR '59....... it is from 1963

The serial numbers from this era are very well documented, it wasn't until they got to 100,000 that things got screwy. This guitar has block inlays, which also is a key identifier of the early-mid 60's model.

No' date=' no one who will evaluate your guitar. But it's definitely a 330, not a 335. Whoever sent you that email is either blind, can't read or stupid.

As more information is thrown at me the more it confuses me. It could be a 51, a 47, a 59.......none of it makes sense.

I appreciate all your help guys and don't worry this beauty isn't going anywhere.......

Here is some more info:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html#es330

1959 Gibson ES-330 introduction specs:

Thinbody' date=' double cutaway, fully hollow body, 1 or 2 P-90 pickups with black covers, tune-o-matic bridge, trapeze tailpiece (Bigsby vibrato optional), laminated beveled-edge pickguard, single bound top, back and rosewood fingerboard, pearl dot fingerboard inlays, neck joins body at 15th fret, crown peghead inlay, sunburst or natural finish.

1962 Gibson ES-330 specs:

By mid 1962 the small block fingerboard inlays replace dots, nickel pickup covers replace black plastic pickup covers, cherry finish available. At first the pickup covers were nickel plated plastics (rare), but then quickly changed to nickle plated metal covers. Also the "ears" of the body became more pointy and less "Mickey Mouse" style.

According to that web site, it might date around the early 60's since it has a cherry finish and block inlays.

Most likely, a '62.

We had a guitar road show come to our town and me and another guy did guitar appraisals. I'm not familiar with all the Gibsons pre 77 thats where the other guy came in, but he ended up giving someone 14 grand for a 63 335 in mint condition, so I'm assuming your guitar is worth somewhere between 5 and 10 grand. (10 in a better economy 5 now)

Archived