Gibson Brands Forums

Truth be told

Silverbursted

I am down to only 2 LPs now; an R9 and an R7. I have not found or played any better Les Paul since (not from a lack of trying). So here is my question. Would you consider something completely off the wall from what is currently in your inventory? I'm not talking about another solid body, I'm talking hollow body, Dobro, Mandolin, bass etc.

For me I'm thinking of a hollow body Gretsch or possibly an ES175.

You need to at least try out an ES-335. You owe it to yourself to try one.

I did, and liked it very much. But, and this is the reason why I want a hollow body...is the self-exciting resonance that can only be obtained in a thick hollow bodied guitar. I tried a Duesenberg a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't get it either. So far the Gretsch is the only one I've found that can do that. Gibson actually builds a block into their HB's to prevent that, go figure.

I did' date=' and liked it very much. But, and this is the reason why I want a hollow body...is the self-exciting resonance that can only be obtained in a thick hollow bodied guitar. I tried a Duesenberg a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't get it either. So far the Gretsch is the only one I've found that can do that. Gibson actually builds a block into their HB's to prevent that, go figure.

[/quote']

What I've have discovered in the Semi-hollows of Gibson is that it gives some of what you seek - exciting resonance but it's not out of control or should I say easier to control due to the solid block.

I can get my Elitist Dot to get the top moving and I can actually control the feedback by moving the guitar around. A full hollow body will get that too, but perhaps too much over the top.

Anyway, it almost sounds like your mind is made up so just remember to post pictures.

I'm waiting for my next guitar to arrive, which is probably still a piece of wood in Stevensville, MD (home of PRS guitars). It's a Custom 24 25th Anniversary Model. I already have a 339 (love it!) and I probably would like to get a Tele next. But, for my non-standard purchase, I always wanted to get a Bouzouki.

Bouzouki2.gif

Okay, here's my suggestion...

The 335 is good. Very good to get you started away from solidbodies. Frankly I like the SG body and don't really care much for the LP.

The 335 has probably 70 percent of a hollowbody sound without the feedback with that center block. It's usually a light to medium-light string guitar that's very versatile in terms of sound. I love the woody blues potential.

But...

The ES 175 is to me the ideal size and shape. It is full hollow, but is a bit smaller than a "full size" guitar since it was designed from the get-go as an electric. The weakness is feedback depending on how you're set up on stage. The strength is easy playability and a nice set of sounds from sweet jazz to decently stinging rock, depending on strings.

So... <grin> One way to see what you may like is to pick up an Epi Dot and an Epi ES 175 copy. They ain't Gibsons, but they ain't bad and the two together - under $1,000 new from MF or whatever - would give you a cupla years of getting used to the different sizes and time to put away some bucks for one or both of them in Gibson form.

BTW, I think we tend to talk a lot about guitar body style, and a lot less about string choices. Frankly the difference to me is neck and strings even for "tone" regardless of the guitar's body shape. I like a very, very low action and light strings. It works for me and I'm happy with the tone, even on the "jazz box," but others don't care for it at all.

m

Okay' date=' here's my suggestion...

The 335 is good. Very good to get you started away from solidbodies. Frankly I like the SG body and don't really care much for the LP.

The 335 has probably 70 percent of a hollowbody sound without the feedback with that center block. It's usually a light to medium-light string guitar that's very versatile in terms of sound. I love the woody blues potential.

But...

The ES 175 is to me the ideal size and shape. It is full hollow, but is a bit smaller than a "full size" guitar since it was designed from the get-go as an electric. The weakness is feedback depending on how you're set up on stage. The strength is easy playability and a nice set of sounds from sweet jazz to decently stinging rock, depending on strings.

So... <grin> One way to see what you may like is to pick up an Epi Dot and an Epi ES 175 copy. They ain't Gibsons, but they ain't bad and the two together - under $1,000 new from MF or whatever - would give you a cupla years of getting used to the different sizes and time to put away some bucks for one or both of them in Gibson form.

BTW, I think we tend to talk a lot about guitar body style, and a lot less about string choices. Frankly the difference to me is neck and strings even for "tone" regardless of the guitar's body shape. I like a very, very low action and light strings. It works for me and I'm happy with the tone, even on the "jazz box," but others don't care for it at all.

m

[/quote']

Thanks for your insight Milod, that is sound advise. I have been playing a lot of HBs lately, and it seems that many manufacturers, including Gibson, are building to be a light weight version of a solid body. It is strange, but that undesirable feedback, that is designed out is exactly what I'm looking for, but with a rocking tone. I know it's out there, I have to just keep looking.

Someday this will be mine!

rosewoodtele-1-1.jpg

Purdy!

A Rosewood Tele would be gorgeous but I priced a body that looked good enough to me and it as $895 for just the body.

Also' date=' you gotta chamber them good or they will weigh a ton.

Think I recall seeing a solid Rosewood Tele body that weighed over 9 lbs. by itself.

Probably sustain for a week though . . . [crying

I'm either going ash/ash stained violinburst, white pearloid bound body, and white pearloid pickguard

Rosewood/flame maple white pearloid bound 22 stainless fret neck, mother of pearl dots, corian earvana nut, sperzel lockers

[Love Violinburst but always just wanted a Candy Apple Tele too so]

or

Just alder/alder painted candy apple, white pearloid bound body, and white pearloid pickguard

Purpleheart/flame maple white pearloid bound 22 stainless fret neck, mother of pearl dots, corian earvana nut, sperzel lockers

either one with

modern 6 saddle hardtail

tri-pup conversion to Seymour Duncan Tele lil 59 neck, Strat lil Screamin' Deamon middle, Tele Pearly Gates neck

coil splitters

and S-1 with 5 way Strat switch

chrome on chrome

about a bazillion sounds or thereabouts I think . . . [-(

My recommendation on the Epis?

Mostly to give the opportunity to try diff strings.

Yeah, back in the day, a lotta guys used flatwounds even on rock guitars, both solid and semi. For example Ricks and a 335 in the first "good" rock band I played in.

Then there's that 175 that lots and lotza people almost insist on heavy piano wire or flatwounds on the things. Mine sat in the box for over 2 decades because of that. Then I put on some lighter strings and I love it. For example I really like the Elixirs with the heavier Goretex on that box. 9-42.

Unless you're independently wealthy, I think the messing with different strings, playing styles and amp setups (like in what amp, putting it where, playing with what technique) will teach you more about what you're looking for.

I know too that I change more technique than I like to think about when I'm playing different guitars and pickin' with different people in different styles.

To me it's kinda getting a guitar you're comfortable playing with what your stuff is.

I s'pose if I could have but one guitar, it'd be the 175 and believe it or not, choice #2 likely would be the SG, although the SG doesn't do classical for some reason, and I've a hunch it's because it doesn't quite feel like a guitar or have the balance "work" for it with that kinda pickin'.

I dunno. <grin>

m

Archived