Gibson Brands Forums

Truth be told

Silverbursted

335 is my "cold, dead hands" guitar - it ain't going nowhere.

I would love to have a 175 as well.

Gretsch makes some cool stuff, I've been lusting for a Tennessee Rose for several years.

Find a used Guild Starfire IV, a great bargain in comparison to the 335 semi-hollow.

For a completely hollow jazz box, try a Guild Starfire III.

Hell, I'd let you play mine!

335 is my "cold' date=' dead hands" guitar - it ain't going nowhere.

I would love to have a 175 as well.

Gretsch makes some cool stuff, I've been lusting for a Tennessee Rose for several years.

Find a used Guild Starfire IV, a great bargain in comparison to the 335 semi-hollow.

For a completely hollow jazz box, try a Guild Starfire III.

Hell, I'd let you play mine![/quote']

I think we've been over this before? But I love the old Guild HB/SHB guitars.

(I think that) a lot of Gibson principles were at work in designing those things.

The Starfire V (gotta have that Bigsby) really does it for me. I play one at lessons every Saturday. Some day I'll pick up a used one of my own, but for now I'll just keep lusting after it. It just feels so right. I'd bet that I'd also like the 335, but for some inexplicable reason I've never tried one. I've tried a 175--predictably enough, it was heavenly.

My teacher's let me try a few of his guitars--I always come back to that one. He doesn't let me use the Bigsby, though...In his words "it's a piece of sh!t--damn thing won't stay in tune." Different strokes for different folks.

Well...

Once upon a time a picker around 30 or so had a nice orange Gretch. Then he decided that as nicely as it played, it wasn't quite his thing and so he swapped it for something or another that also got swapped.

That's one reason a much older picker <grin> will tell you that if there's something about a guitar that trips your trigger, try different strings and play 'em enough time to get used to the idea before you try something else.

For three to 15 bucks you can learn a lot more than by messin' with amps and stomp boxes and other stuff that has little to do with how you play the guitar and what it takes for the guitar to make itself part of you and your pickin' style. Maybe more than one box will fit you. Or you're fit it.

Then play with the other stuff...

Again, that's why I wrote what I did about a year of messin' with an Epi 335 and 175 before you take a big Gibbie jump for a lifetime companion.

m

Of course, if we're talking only Gibson . . .

I played an ES-137 awhile back that I really liked. I was quite surprised because I didn't expect to when I picked it up.

I'm not sure it didn't have better tone than my Lifeson and perhaps more versatile.

And I like the ES-339/359s too, perhaps better.

That said, my next Gibson will be P90 clad and you gotta love the '56 goldtop.

Don't tell the wife . . .

I like way more guitars than I will ever have money to spend on them.

Larry... I mostly agree...

OTOH, granted that I started on acoustics and that probably affected my head, I still think the 175 is just so incredibly comfy whether playing it sittin' or standin'. Frankly more so than the 335 for me, anyway.

Also... he wants P90s? Again a good excuse to start messing with an Epi in either shape before messing with a new Gibson.

m

None of the answers in the poll really work for me. I would definitely consider it, but I don't have the money so I am not going to be doing so anytime soon and I don't already have something. You should have put a "yes but I'm a teenager and can't afford nice things" response [biggrin] ..... :/

I actually have a story about this kinda. I went to guitar center yesterday and I played all sorts of guitars, vintage les pauls and strats, hollowbodys, teles, teles with humbuckers, JEMs, a flying V and a bunch of other stuff. I Played through three different amps, a blues jr (already have that but I like it), a mesa express, cool but not exactly what I want. And the final amp I used was one of those new Marshall haze mini stack. It ****ing kicked ***!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Marshall tone I thought, exactly what I have been looking for. I really want to get one but once again, I can't afford it.

ANYWAYS!!! How this relates to the poll is that out of all the guitars I played my favorite was this used parker fly! I was like "eh, I've seen those and the are pretty cool looking, I'll try it." Holy! Crap!! It played so nice!!!!! The neck was perfect for my hands, the action was perfect it didn't go out of tune and it sounded great! I actually would really like one of those now. That one was used and was still 999 dollars so... Out of my price range :[

God it was great though!

My only problem with it was I didn't get how the controls worked. It seemed like it had two volume knobs but each on just controlled all the pickups. So you could have one up all the way and the other down all the way and now sound. It was weird. There was also a toggle (not the five way pickup selector, a three way tuggle) which just seemed to get rid of all the sound unless it was in the middle position?? It was weird. Other then the electronics though it was great! I want it!

I'm waiting for my next guitar to arrive' date=' which is probably still a piece of wood in Stevensville, MD (home of PRS guitars). It's a Custom 24 25th Anniversary Model. I already have a 339 (love it!) and I probably would like to get a Tele next. But, for my non-standard purchase, I always wanted to get a Bouzouki.

[img']http://www.viseforum.no/Bok_CDanm/anm_bilder/Bouzouki2.gif[/img]

Hey, Rocketman! Hard to beat those Greek genes in' ya, I guess...? [biggrin]

Hector...

I've played and owned Ibanez and their hollows/semi hollows are awfully nice but...

I'd still kinda recommend the Epi dot if there's a choice. It has a "feel" more like the Gibson. There's also a point on the knobs of an Epi-Gibbie that has a woodie blues sound I've never been able get from any similar shaped box.

m

Archived