Gibson Brands Forums

Acquired Taste

FirstMeasure

There are some Artists/Groups that take a little getting used to. Leon Russell is one of those

Song For You

Anybody have any Acquired Tastes you'd like to share?

Sorry, but Leon IS the master of space and time. No getting used to for me. Saw him live in Charlotte in the '70s. He flew across the stage, guitar in hand, jumped on top of his piano, and whipped out a killer intro to Prince of Peace that sent chills up my spine. Didn't know he had it in him!

Sorry' date=' but Leon IS the master of space and time. No getting used to for me. Saw him live in Charlotte in the '70s. He flew across the stage, guitar in hand, jumped on top of his piano, and whipped out a killer intro to Prince of Peace that sent chills up my spine. Didn't know he had it in him!

[/quote']

I'd loved to have see that! I've been into Leon since before I can remember, but it seems like eveytime I turn someone on to him they don't take right to him [cool]

Guthrie Govan, he plays the absolute sh!t out of his guitar so it's a bit overwhelming at first. Patience is rewarded though.

Most of my favourite music wasn't very accessible on the first listen. I think the best music is often like that.

Nice of Zack Brown to give some props to Leon on the grammys last night. "A song for you" is one of my faves to sing and play. I've done prolly 10 shows with Leon through the years. He's a grouchy old bastard who reduces some of his greatest material to medelys and jacks up the tempo on everything. It's almost like he can't wait to get off the stage.

Nice of Zack Brown to give some props to Leon on the grammys last night. "A song for you" is one of my faves to sing and play. I've done prolly 10 shows with Leon through the years. He's a grouchy old bastard who reduces some of his greatest material to medelys and jacks up the tempo on everything. It's almost like he can't wait to get off the stage.

You've probably gigged with him as many times as I've seen him. He did seem to have that look like he'd rather be somewhere else later in his career. He never got the recognition he deserves.

Archived