Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about buying a robot....have some questions

awdtxc

Hi everyone, I am thinking about buying a used robot guitar and l have some questions.

1. I see some ads say unregistered what is the advantage to that?

2. Does the tuning system work as well as they say it does, does it ever need calibrated, how accurate is it?

3. Does this guitar require special strings or will any electric string work?

4. Are the pickups the same as a regular Les Paul studio?

5. How many times can you tune the guitar (typically) on a charge?

6. Are there any know issues, recalls etc to watch out for?

Make sure the tuners work and that it comes with the Battery Pack and Charger. Also make sure the small Allen wrenches are in the case. Should be 2 sizes in a plastic bag. Check for loose knobs. Any reasonable strings will work. Must be able to conduct electricity for tuning. Don't let friends use the guitar. You cannot manually tune without disengaging tuners. Ruins gear motors, that is the reason to not let others mess with the guitar. Check for user manual. There is a download available.

Hi, Just remember buying from unauthorized dealers means Gibson WILL NOT repair the guitar or sell you parts. IT HAS TO BE UNREGISTERED and INCLUDE A RECEIPT BOUGHT FROM AUTHORED DEALER SO YOU CAN REGISTER IT. Otherwise, if it goes down you are screwed. Try tuning the guitar and check to see all strings tune in the same amount of time. There was a issue with the G strings taking too long. The SG's because of weight balance issue's are very top heavy , you cannot let go of the neck or the headstock will hit the floor. Also the body is to thin to upgrade to the 3rd gen system. Some metallic LP's don't come with factory pick guards, but the screwless pick guards available work great. The pick ups are the same as a studio for the 1st generation. They get about 100 to 150 tunings per charge after charging the battery a few times. Remember, buy from Dealers ONLY, and you will be OK. All in all, they work great.

Thanks for the info. I plan to buy mine used, but from GC. I wanted to ask this question....I play in a very strange tuning every so often...BDDDDD the 2nd string gets tuned up to do and if you are not careful well lets just say I have gone through a lot of those strings. If I program this thing to tune to that tuning will it tune it to fast and break the string?

The 1st generation Robot Guitar WILL NOT program that tuning! You can only tune 1 and 1/2 steps ( or 3 1/2 steps away ) from the standard tuning because of crosstalk issue's in the bridge sensor. Later generations, The Darkfire and Dusk Tiger addressed these issue's and are able to do custom tunings. As far as strings breaking, I find the E strings break after 30 tunings and the B's after 45 to 50 tunings . Just like they would manually from metal fatigue.

As to the LP, a updrade kit MAY be available soon this year, their words. But, it would include an entire exchange of electonics and tuners, done at the factory. It will have many other upgrades included. No price has been given. It will not be cheap. I would think in the range $600 to $1200. The original GOR owners, the white and blue LP's, have been promised a upgrade at a reduced price. All later models, have not been mentioned. hence the higher figure for upgrades. SOO if your paying less than $1800 for the original GOR. + $1200 for the upgrade under warranty, it would be worth it to upgrade as the original price was $3300.

All later models' date=' have not been mentioned. hence the higher figure for upgrades. SOO if your paying less than $1800 for the original GOR. + [b']$1200 for the upgrade under warranty[/b], it would be worth it to upgrade as the original price was $3300.

I would hope it's a lot less than that!!!![biggrin]

Archived