Gibson Brands Forums

Superbowl ads - Miller High Life - Bizarre Guitar

NeoConMan

Awhile back I posted here that my dealer in Phoenix got picked up by a beer company for a commercial.

Here's a preview, courtesy of the folks at Miller High Life.

Please meet Bob Turner and two of his crew, Stu and Brandon.

http://littleguysbiggame.millerhighlife.com/#/bizarreguitar

You don't really get a good view of all the Gibsons he has hanging in there.

80 Les Pauls for starters...

Yeah, the store is a great place to just stand around and drool.

The reason the site wants your birthdate is for legal reasons - combat underage drinking.

Laws against even advertising to minors in the USA.

I just typed in 12-34-56.

They don't know I'm not 53 years old....

Impressive. You really have no reason to go to guitar center.

I'm jealous. The closest large inventory of high end Gibsons that I know of is Hollywood. About a half hour drive for me.

The GC in Hollywood is great by the way. And I hate GC. I've played the most amazing Gibsons there.

Yeah, I've been there to the Hollywood store.

Great store - for a Guitar Center especially....

And we're so lucky, we have FOUR Guitar Centers in Phoenix!!!

In all my travels, I've never seen a store with a Gibson inventory to rival Bobs.

Seen some cool smaller stores with nice pieces, but 80 Les Pauls?

That's not even counting Specials, Juniors, Melody Makers, etc. - not to mention Epiphone.

I would guess he has well over 200 Gibsons in the store.

That's a common gripe, and few people nowadays understand what all is involved.

His website was much better at one time.

Seems he got his tit in a wringer with Gibson over it.

He was ordered to take down his most detailed inventory photos of new gear.

His focus for 34 years has been as a real store, leaving the web to the people who want to do biz that way.

Doesn't even have a computer in the store, and his credit card transactions are still done by a modem.

Looks like he's finally decided to go ahead and embrace the "new" technology but it changes his franchise

agreements and he was hesitant to get away from a very simple and successful business model.

Great commercial very cool to see the store in the vids like that. JUst as a follow-up endorsement Bizarre is a great store at least half my guitars come out of that shop and they have an amazing collection and the best part is they know how to treat them! every guitar is in the same condition it was when they opened the box not screaming teens smacking them together and stealing the knobs all day. You can play a guitar hell they encourage it but only with there control and observation In all the years I have been going I bet I have taken down three guitars myself and that's only when they have other customers and have told me to help myself. I don't know how they do it but out of all those thousands of guitars I've never seen one that's dirty or missing a part and even harder to believe there all in tune :)

I'm not sure I have ever found a guitar in tune at GC!

Yep.

Word of mouth and return customers.

Doesn't really bother to advertise because he sells below MAP every day.

So what do you advertise if you can't post your prices in public, eh?

Sells alot of stuff when the Jet Set comes to town.

Barrett Jackson/Russo Steele car auctions, Arabian Horse Show, rodeo, conventions, etc.

Lotsa foreigners too, especially Japanese.

Californians come over here to buy en masse because they can't touch his prices at home.

He's been peddling vintage gear for decades, so he has connections.

Mike told me once that Bob figures he has owned 40 of the original 1959 Les Pauls at one time or another.

Bob is a very cool guy, and I wish him all of the success in the world. I probably spent fifty grand at that store in 2007 and 2008, but they decided to get out of selling the real high end stuff and focus mostly on Epiphone and the less expensive Gibsons.

I haven't been there in several months because I had a falling out with one of their employees.

I have no doubt that they have been succesful for many years, but I don't know how succesfull they were in 2008 and 2009.

Even if they are profitable and successful I still see them as a bit of a failure simply because of the amount of money that they are leaving on the table. I think if they were running the music store like it was 2010 and not 1989, they would be a lot more successful.

To me Bizarre Guitars is trying to be the local mom and pop version of Guitar Center. They might have more guitars than most guitar centers, but they carry basically the same type of stuff that you can find at pretty much at any guitar center.

Now the closest Guitar Center to Bizarre Guitars is on Peoria Avenue. Bizarre Guitars might have 3 times as many Gibsons and Epiphones as that particular Guitar Center, but I would be interested in knowing who sold more.

They can't compete by trying to be Guitar Center, what they need to do is make a list of how they can be different from Guitar Center and try to play up their strengths.

Also the store looks like what music stores looked like in 1986. They need to make the store look more modern.

They also need to recognize the fact that it's not 1986 anymore where the same customer will keep coming back regardless of the way they are treated, because you are the only dealer in town. Big chains like GC and Sam Ash as well as the internet have given customers more options and alternatives.

I want to make it clear that Bob is a great guy.

Bow I have no problems with Bob, I have problems with one of the salesman calling me a "***" and calling me a bunch of names, and a bunch of other derogatory names, he later apologized to me about the comment but I am not going to spend my money at a music store where I am going to be treated like this.

They might be the only independent Gibson dealer in Phoenix, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other options. It's 2010, and the internet has evolved and now anybody with a computer can view websites from stores like Wildwood. I was at Willcutt Guitars in Lexington Kentucky 6 months ago and that place blows away Bizarre Guitars.

The best music store in Arizona by far is Rainbow Guitars. They might not have as much as Bizarre but what they have is way better than what you can find at Bizarre and they have a lot more variety.

Bizarre Guitars might have 100 Les Pauls, but very few of them are custom shop. They just have dozens and dozens of the same boring Les Paul Studio's and Standards that have been sitting on the wall for years. They might have a couple R9's, and a couple goldtops, and a custom but 90% of the same standards and studios, and traditionals that you can find at any guitar center.

Rainbow gets in all of the cool stuff. They had the Bloomfields, the Billy Gibbons, the Jeff Beck Oxblood, the 50th Anniversary R0, etc... Bizarre Guitars won't touch that stuff unless it's a Jimmy Page.

Wow, where to begin?

You joined the forum just to stick it in Bob's ***?

Brilliant....

Bob is a very cool guy' date=' and I wish him all of the success in the world.

I haven't been there in several months because I had a falling out with one of their employees.

I have problems with one of the salesman calling me a "***" and calling me a bunch of names, and a bunch

of other derogatory names, he later apologized to me about the comment but

I am not going to spend my money at a music store where I am going to be treated like this.

Make up your mind, which way is it gonna be?

I probably spent fifty grand at that store in 2007 and 2008' date='

but they decided to get out of selling the real high end stuff and focus mostly on Epiphone and the

less expensive Gibsons.[/quote']

Your name doesn't start with "D", does it?

Slender, dark hair, 5'8"-ish?

I've met you on a couple of occasions.

I'll leave it at that.

They haven't done a big order with Gibson in a couple of years because they get plenty to sell with their Re-auth.

Bob stocks what he can sell, not what's trendy, and his latest order is trickling in weekly.

His mix of Epi/Gibson has not changed appreciably in 8 years I know of.

I have no doubt that they have been succesful for many years' date=' but I don't know how succesfull

they were in 2008 and 2009. [/quote']

Sure you do.

2009 was tough for everybody in retail.

Um, what did you say your business was again?

Internet related, eh?

Even if they are profitable and successful I still see them as a bit of a failure simply because of the

amount of money that they are leaving on the table. I think if they were running the music store like it

was 2010 and not 1989' date=' they would be a lot more successful. [/quote']

Failure?

What sort of business were YOU running in 1976?

To me Bizarre Guitars is trying to be the local mom and pop version of Guitar Center.

They might have more guitars than most guitar centers' date=' but they carry basically the same type of stuff that

you can find at pretty much at any guitar center. [/quote']

Yep, maybe you're right...

Only without the 30 Return Policy, the credit schemes that will quadruple the price of the guitar,

the "relicking" all the GC stock receives from the kiddies who steal the knobs....

You know the difference - you've ably demonstrated so, yet you're spouting off sh!t like this?

Would YOU spend $50,000 at Guitar Center? Really?

Come on.....

Now the closest Guitar Center to Bizarre Guitars is on Peoria Avenue.

Bizarre Guitars might have 3 times as many Gibsons and Epiphones as that particular Guitar Center' date='

but I would be interested in knowing who sold more. [/quote']

Probably GC, dontcha think?

Is the highest volume dealer what you're looking for, or the best prices on flawlessly kept NEW gear?

I think we both know the answer to that one.

Another news flash - Wildwood and Rainbow are much smaller volume dealers than Bizarre.

So, which way do you wanna run with that one?

Explain to me, please, ANY advantage buying from GC would have over Bizarre.

Aside from the Gibson exclusives they get until the market is saturated, I can't think of one.

They can't compete by trying to be Guitar Center' date=' what they need to do is make a list of how they can be

different from Guitar Center and try to play up their strengths.

Also the store looks like what music stores looked like in 1986. They need to make the store look more modern. [/quote']

They don't own the building - or the one they were in before that on Camelback, or the one on 7th...

Neon lights, late hours, and advertising blitzes to lie to millions work best on Mom's & Dads without a clue.

Junior gets his new guitar and doesn't care about anything else.

A list?

How about this?

They sell below MAP every day, without GC games.

They will beat GC prices without even asking - every time.

Their gear is cared for by adults who will NOT allow it to be scratched or banged around.

When you ask to play something, the odds are VERY good it will be in tune.

No dust. Not on ANYTHING in the store. Bob won't allow it.

They also need to recognize the fact that it's not 1986 anymore where the same customer will keep

coming back regardless of the way they are treated' date=' because you are the only dealer in town.

Big chains like GC and Sam Ash as well as the internet have given customers more options and alternatives. [/quote']

So, you're saying Bob gets no repeat business?

Really?

And if he gets no new business because Guitar Center is so much better....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, right.....

That's funny.

I want to make it clear that Bob is a great guy.

Either you're lying' date=' or your short attention span and whirling thoughts prevent you from conversing rationally.

Having spoke to you myself, I'm guessing the odds are a toss-up on that one.

Bow I have no problems with Bob

I believe we've established that you do.

They might be the only independent Gibson dealer in Phoenix' date=' but that doesn't mean that

there aren't other options. It's 2010, and the internet has evolved and now anybody with a computer can view websites from stores like Wildwood.[/quote']

Feel free to do so.

Until they call you some sort of names questioning your sexuality too....

(Give me a break - I'm sure there's three sides to that story. I know those guys very well.)

The best music store in Arizona by far is Rainbow Guitars.

They might not have as much as Bizarre but what they have is way better than what you can find at Bizarre and they have a lot more variety.

That's a nice store too - I've never bought from them - but better how?

Better condition? Nope.

More variety with 1/10 the guitars? Nope.

Bizarre Guitars might have 100 Les Pauls' date=' but very few of them are custom shop. They just have dozens and dozens of the same boring Les Paul Studio's and Standards that have been sitting on the wall for years. They might have a couple R9's' date=' and a couple goldtops, and a custom but 90% of the same standards and studios, and traditionals that you can find at any guitar center. [/quote'']

Yeah, just last week I counted only 30 Custom Shop Gibsons.

If you consider that a poor showing.....

Rainbow gets in all of the cool stuff. They had the Bloomfields' date=' the Billy Gibbons, the Jeff Beck Oxblood, the 50th Anniversary R0, etc... Bizarre Guitars won't touch that stuff unless it's a Jimmy Page. [/quote']

Yep, lies.

Since you say that you bought $50,000 worth of guitars from Bob, you know many of his high-end pieces

never go on the wall.

Word of mouth and return customers ensure that somebody knows when a cool piece is coming from Gibson.

Money is placed to hold it, and it goes home as soon as it shows up.

You should KNOW that, eh?

I mean, you're a super smart guy and you want everybody to believe you are, eh?

Helps to be honest, truthful, and stick to the facts then....

If you do that, I'll have no problem with YOU.

Be cool, "D"

Archived