Gibson Brands Forums

Top 10 favorite bands/musicians

MojoRedFoot

1. AC/DC - I love their sound, their everything, and I somehow identify myself with Angus

2. The Doors- I love their style and tunes, I love Robby's playing

3. The Beatles-I love them, people say I look like Paul

4. The Rolling Stones-Their attitude, their sound, it all fits me..

5. Led Zeppelin- I love Jimmy's playing and Robert's singing

6. Van Halen-great songs, rock n roll classics

7. Guns N Roses-their music is simply amazing

8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience-guitar masters

9.Black Sabbath-Tony rules

10.Queen- Freddie is amazing, and Brian's playing is superb.

Wow' date=' that's some cool stuff indeed. [biggrin'] I would have loved to open for those bands, I'll have to pray that my band gets picked as an opener sometime [biggrin]

Ya know...when you're doing it, it doesn't feel "special", but when I look back on it, I should have paid more attention to all the people I met.

I recall one of the very nicest people I ever met was Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders. Van Morrison and I got along pretty well, but I think he liked me mostly because I was as short as he was.

If you're interested, here is a link to an interview which tells about Peter Wheat.

http://www.rimpo.de/peterwheat.html

Ya know...when you're doing it' date=' it doesn't feel "special", but when I look back on it, I should have paid more attention to all the people I met.

I recall one of the very nicest people I ever met was Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders. Van Morrison and I got along pretty well, but I think he liked me mostly because I was as short as he was.

If you're interested, here is a link to an interview which tells about Peter Wheat.

http://www.rimpo.de/peterwheat.html[/quote']

That's outstanding, if I've said that before sorry, to have been there & done that is simply outstanding![biggrin]

That's outstanding' date=' if I've said that before sorry, to have been there & done that is simply outstanding![biggrin']

Ya know, it's only been in the last few years, since the release of the book, that I've gotten back into playing for crowds, other than jamming with folks.

I went many, MANY years with never a mention of my "old life".

When I got back together with some of the old band members, we talked about the time Janice Joplin stuck her fingers in a cake the dance promoter made for us. The funny thing is that we all remembered the incident, but we all remembered it differently! (DAMN those 60's drugs!)

Where's Rory then?

Actually...I don't know? I thought I put him right up there on the list...

Hm. Maybe I wasn't thinking. Call it an oversight. He'd be right up there on top' date=' though.

And actually, my list changes from day to day. I think that if I were to rank all of my [i']favorite[/i] bands and artists, the list would be well into the thirties, at least, and unranked because it's too damn hard to rank them. Another oversight on that particular list was Creedence Clearwater Revival. I'm listening to their song "Porterville" right now, and every time I hear it it just makes me cry--it's just too incredible for words.

I'm listening to their song "Porterville" right now' date=' and every time I hear it it just makes me cry--it's just too incredible for words.[/quote']

After reading your post I was excited to hear this song from a band I have heard of but could not tell you one song that they do. I just listened to it and not only did I think it totally sucked but now I want to hang myself. Wow, if that makes you cry, take a listen to any other song by any other band on the planet... you might combust! LOL!

After reading your post I was excited to hear this song from a band I have heard of but could not tell you one song that they do. I just listened to it and not only did I think it totally sucked but now I want to hang myself. Wow' date=' if that makes you cry, take a listen to any other song by any other band on the planet... you might combust! LOL![/quote']

Hey, that's cool. Everyone likes different stuff. You don't have to like CCR, and I don't have to like U2, The Killers, or whoever I happen to dislike. I think "Porterville" is a great song, so there.

Crap, I really can't do 10. I tried. The smallest number I can come up with is *edit* 21 (sorry). I'm probably still leaving some bands out. [thumbup]

In no particular order...

Melvins

King Crimson

Iron Maiden

Jimi Hendrix

Thin Lizzy

Metallica

Stinking Lizaveta

Kyuss

Pink Floyd

Van Halen

Don Caballero

The Beatles

The Clash

Faith No More

Frank Zappa

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

AC/DC

Keelhaul

Led Zeppelin

The ******* Champs

This is probably closer to 50 instead of 10, but this was as small as I could narrow it down.

So in no particular order:

Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia

The Byrds

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

Charlie Daniels Band

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Who

The Allman Brothers Band

Creedence Clearwater/John Fogerty

Marshall Tucker Band

A/C D/C

The Electric Flag/Mike Bloomfield

Led Zeppelin

Aerosmith

Phish

Lynerd Skynerd

Deep Purple

Government Mule/Warren Haynes

The Animals

Big Brother/ Janis Joplin

The Eagles

Doc Watson

Willie Nelson

Albert Lee

Leon Russell

Ray Charles

Osbourne Brothers

Ricky Scaggs

MKerle Haggard

Carl Perkins

The Beach Boys

Bill Monroe

Tony Rice

Vince Gill

Gary Moore

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck

ZZ Top

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Roy Orbison

Fleetwood Mac

Crosby, Stills, and Nash

Neal Young

Poco

Little Feat

Frank Sinatra

George Jones

Alan Jackson

Bob Dylan

This is probably closer to 50 instead of 10, but this was as small as I could narrow it down.

Not my all-time favorites, but my favorites that I listen to currently (in no particular order):

Tommy Emanuel

Lucinda Williams

Kenny Burrell

Wayne Shorter

Miles Davis

Billie Holiday

Govt Mule

David Gilmour

Roomful of Blues

Frank Zappa

(in no particular order....)

1. Gary Moore - he's probably my favorite guitarist, his tone is just heavenly and he's a huge influence for me

2. Iron Maiden - the greatest metal band that has ever walked the face of this planet.... and Adrian Smith and Dave Murray are gods.... plain and simple, probably the best 2 guitar melody combo ever

3. treble charger - fell in love with them when i was like 9, loved them ever since

4. Led Zeppelin - THE Gods of rock. Period.

5. Randy Rhoads - one of my favorite guitarists, his playing in Crazy Train is just pure awesomeness

6. Daughtry - great band, even though they're typical mainstream, i love their lyrics and i can really relate to their music. their last album (leave this town) helped get me through a really rough patch in my life a few months ago.... i love every song on that album and could listen to it all day and not get tired of it...

7. Aerosmith - joe perry is a god. and i just love their music. good ole' rockin out!

8. Alice in Chains - amazing, i love jerry's playing. his heavy riffs are a big influence for me... and btw their new album Black Gives Way to Blue is amazing.... its my favorite AIC album.

9. The Eagles - i just love their melody, and how they can be really soft or all out rockin'.... theyve got great music and i love just about every eagles song ive heard....

10. John Fogerty - i love his work with CCR and also his solo work, he's been rockin for 40 years and is still a great guitar player... i have a lot of respect for him and his music; he's another big influence for me.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head, but there's MANY, MANY more.... music is my passion [biggrin]

Archived