Gibson Brands Forums

How can I Identify these Gibson Humbuckers?

truetone6

How can I identify these pickups.

These are the pickups in my 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom. They are replacements,not the originals. The backs are stamped "Gibson USA" no other marks or numbers. My friend said that they probably Gibson replacements that never had a top on them. Any other way to identify when thes were made and what model(s) these are?

100_7849-2.jpg

You can check the ohms on them and see how they compare to known values of other Gibson pickups.

What those values are I don't know off hand.

Ok thanks. I orded gold covers for them so I will ask my friend to measure the output when he puts them on.

If they are the original pickups then they are the Tim Shaw PAF pickups. Easy way to find out is next your change your guitar strings (well don't wait until then) take all your strings off and take pickup rings off and look at the back of the pickup if there is the engrave pat # kind of like this

HPIM0441.jpg

Then it's the Tim Shaw PAF

If they are the original pickups then they are the Tim Shaw PAF pickups. Easy way to find out is next your change your guitar strings (well don't wait until then) take all your strings off and take pickup rings off and look at the back of the pickup if there is the engrave pat # kind of like this

HPIM0441.jpg

Then it's the Tim Shaw PAF

Thanks for the post.They are not the original pickups. The only marking on the back is "Gibson USA" I think that they are probably 490R/490T pickups.

Archived