Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to pick up my first gibson

McDuff

Okay so I have been playing guitar on and off for about four years but over the last year and a half it has really begun to dig into my skin and I'm looking to upgrading to my first gibson here. I'd prefer a gibson at least because they are beautiful and the few I have played sound and feel amazing. However the gibsons I have fiddled with were a Humming bird and J-200 both of which are way out of my price range. I have been looking at the Ej-200ce as an alternate but have never played with one before. I am used to playing a D97 Washburn and looking for around that quality or slightly better as that guitar is actually my paps, mine is a yamaha that is pretty much made out of failure and buzzing.

I know there was another thread asking for recommendations but I felt it would more or less be hijacking their thread especially since I have further criteria.

Under $1,000

Pref dreadnought body

21 fret or close to it

Steel string definitely

Prefrably a top that has a deep a sound to it I enjoy blues playing

Thanks in advance folks.

I would also recommend taking a peek at an Advanced Jumbo which is a great slope shoulder dread and in my opinion' date=' one of the best sounding guitars coming out of Bozeman today. [/quote']

Not my cup of tea, but would likely be a great guitar for someone called "Bluesbreather!"

Probably out of his price range, though.

Not my cup of tea' date=' but would likely be a great guitar for someone called "Bluesbreather!"

Probably out of his price range, though.[/quote']

I don't know... the ones I always see at GC are priced right at $2000 which is very close to most of the J45's I drool over too. Much less than your typical J200.

***Edit... Sorry, I was skimming and missed the <$1000 price point. [biggrin]

Bluesbreather,

Luckily for you, you're going to find there are many excellent choices in the < $1,000 category these days, both used (due to the economy) and new (mostly due to the growing prowess of Asian manufacturers).

The J45 has been mentioned, and is a great guitar, but I think it will tricky finding one <$1,000. If you have your heart set on a Gibson, FQMS is blowing out thier stock of the Candian-made Songmaker series. I haven't played one, but I was present at a performance where they were used by two guitarists in a trio (that included bass) and I thought they sounded great.

FQMS Songmaker Blowout

If you like the J200, I think it's definitely worthwhile seeking out a used a used, Epiphone Elitist J200. This is not the same J200 made in Korea or China. It was made by the very respected luthiers in the Terada factory in Japan, and from premium materials. They really sound great, and you can probably get one on the $800-$1200 range, depending on condition.

Speaking of Epiphones, the Masterbilt series is excellent. They are not versions of specific Gibson models, as most Epiphones are, but are thier own thing entirely, filled with vintage inspired touches. While I would urge you to check out the entire series (the AJ500M and AJ500R in particular, are wonderful sounding), the one below looks like it may fit the bill for you, as it has the fret access you are looking for.

Epiphone EF500RCCE

Let us know what you choose. Happy hunting!

Red 333

Thanks for the responses all. That Lg-1 and the blues king are the top contenders at the moment though I also love the idea of the rosewood back and sides on the Ef 500 also the wide fret board, I will likely pick that up if i can't get either of the other two thanks again folks.

well, I have recently bought an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M and am totally in love with it! I'm in the same boat where I've been playing for a few years and would really, really love a Gibson (or three), so much so that I plan on getting one for sure in another year or so, but I sat and played a Gibson J-45 and the Epi Masterbilt in the little room at Guitar Center and I have to say the Epi is sssooo close to the J-45 it's unreal! And at just $500 it is really a steal IMHO.

lol and by the way I'm not an Epi salesman or anything, and if I had the money I'd own only Gibson guitars but for the money the Epi Masterbilts are awesome!

Have you considered an Advanced Jumbo? the AJ meets your criteria (dread body' date=' re, deep sound--and throw in silky playability as a bonus). Add $300 to yor budget and you could be looking at something like this: http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=24342[/quote']

Someone PLEASE give a good home to this lovely instrument! It KILLS me that no one has scooped it up yet. If I didn't already have an AJ, I'd be all over it.

Red 333

Archived