Gibson Brands Forums

US-Made Epiphone SG?

Twiz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are really a bunch of idoits aruging about the same thing all the time...

FACT!

Sorry, demon breath. We must've confused this place with a discussion forum. :D

P.S. Learn to spell and you may be taken more seriously however I doubt it.

P.P.S. Pretty horsey pic.

Sorry' date=' demon breath. We must've confused this place with a discussion forum. :)

P.S. Learn to spell and you [i']may[/i] be taken more seriously however I doubt it.

P.P.S. Pretty horsey pic.

Yes a discussion forum where you talk about the same thing all the time.

Epi VS Gibson bullshit.

You shouldnt be talking cork sniffer. :D

Confucious Say " Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Yeah' date=' you may have seen that in the signature of a guy who goes by Axe.

The turds he flushes away know more about guitars than you do - and they're probably older.

You're quick to raise the flag about personal attacks and calling me a juvenile, yet here you go again.

Of course, Very Wise Robot 420 lives for this Kiddie Sh!t, so you made him very happy!

You can count on him to be your friend now - whatever that might be worth....

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh....

So, do you actually play gigs?

Do you get paid, or just show up someplace with your buddies because you're "in a band" and make noise?

Do you own a car?

Do you live with your Mom?

Who paid for your gear?

You somehow summon the knowledge to tell me what is irrelevant (note correct spelling), so it looks like

all's fair in your little world.

I've dragged down plenty of idiots and came back up waving their underwear like a war trophy.

Without their Big Boy Underoos, they usually slink home and are never seen again.

I'm not afraid of idiots in the least...

P.S. You admit you are a collector and not a player so your opinion on this matter is pretty much Irrelavent.

We were not discussing future values of guitars only time will tell that.

NeoConMan says "Expose the idiots for what they are." You wanna keep on typing' date=' so don't let me stop you.

Which goes nicely with [b']"Turn the light on - it's the cockroaches and vermin who will run for cover."[/b]

I "admit" I'm a collector?

Like I'm guilty of something?

Okay, how about this - I paid cash for every piece I ever bought.

Over 40 guitars and a dozen amps.

Also got paid cash for every Chinese piece of sh!t I repaired for people who bought them for their kids.

Yep, that's me over by the light switch.

You ready again?

Now, with the light switch on we see where....

The issue with this statement is that in this case' date=' the Epiphone and the Gibson are

the same guitar. When the Epiphones didn't sell well, they put Gibson logos on the headstock -

and didn't even remove the Epiphone logo. You can see Epiphone underneath Gibson.[/quote']

There were several years in the sixties and even into the seventies where Gibson pulled all sorts of stuff.

Especially when the Epiphone in question was made in the USA, there were no laws broken.

Gibson just wanted to sell the guitars to get them out the door.

That said' date=' I'm so glad an Epiphone-branded guitar made in the Kalamazoo factory has sparked a Gibson vs. Epiphone debate. [/quote']

Forgive them Pohatu, they know not what they do.

Dem00n, you should know better by now - take your Dunce Cap and sit in the corner with Very Wise Robot.

Oh, and my apologies to Twiz.

Poor guy asks a question and the Kiddie Hero Epi Caped Crusader shows up...

Now' date=' with the light switch on we see where....

There were several years in the sixties and even into the seventies where Gibson pulled all sorts of stuff.

Especially when the Epiphone in question was made in the USA, there were no laws broken.

Gibson just wanted to sell the guitars to get them out the door.

Forgive them Pohatu, they know not what they do.

Dem00n, you should know better by now - take your Dunce Cap and sit in the corner with Very Wise Robot.

Oh, and my apologies to Twiz.

Poor guy asks a question and the [b']Kiddie Hero Epi Caped Crusader[/b] shows up...

Look I don't make fun of the mobile home in your back yard and the broken washer and dryers in your front that you call lawn decorations and the '56 Chevy that,s full of rust and hasn't moved for over40 years. So take your guns and your religion and crawl to your safe zone and protest that the Liberals are taking over the messed up country you redneck conservatives created.

Apologies. Substitute NeoGeo for Axe in my statement - everything else is true.

I also think that from turning from a debate to personal attacks is pretty juvenile.

Grow up man.

I guess everyone has opinion and opinions are like A$$holes and they usually stink

What wise words.

Let's see what else we have from the Epi Caped Crusader!

Look I don't make fun of the mobile home in your back yard and the broken washer and dryers in your front that you call lawn decorations and the '56 Chevy that' date='s full of rust and hasn't moved for over40 years. So take your guns and your religion and crawl to your safe zone and protest that the Liberals are taking over the messed up country you redneck conservatives created. [/quote']

Sounds personal to me.

Reported as such.

my son used to recite everytime he had try to defend himself from some ignorant redneck.

State your level of education - we'll compare.

Where does your son go to be "picked on" by rednecks? I can imagine...

[biggrin]

Apologies. Substitute NeoGeo for Axe in my statement - everything else is true.

What wise words.

Let's see what else we have from the Epi Caped Crusader!

Sounds personal to me.

Reported as such.

State your level of education - we'll compare.

Where does your son go to be "picked on" by rednecks? I can imagine...

[biggrin]

You started this whole charade. For a man who has so many hobbies and jobs and a family you sure have a lot of time to go around stirring the pot in this forum. I quit I am just a disabled vet working on my masters in education. You apparently have anger issues and possibly self esteem problems that you would apparently spend all day long attacking someone for their opinion or point of view. Congrats you got me going for awhile but I have better things to do than waste my time on your trivial attacks . You baited and I bit My BAD.

Look I don't make fun of the mobile home in your back yard and the broken washer and dryers in your front that you call lawn decorations and the '56 Chevy that' date='s full of rust and hasn't moved for over40 years. So take your guns and your religion and crawl to your safe zone and protest that the Liberals are taking over the messed up country you redneck conservatives created.[/quote']

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't Texas and Missouri kinda the same? Mostly farm, American car driving, red states? Not trying to be a smart *** (Neo, you and I have a lot of similar views and dawg I don't knwo you at all). I have family in both states and have visited both states. But I imagine Texas has more Mexicans.

I'm not taking sides because I have never owned an Epi. I skipped them and went straight for the Gibson. I would like to get the "84 reissue" explorer because I don't think I'd have the heart to redo the finish of a Gibson to look like James Hetfield's "Papa Het" explorer.

Forgive my ignorance' date=' but aren't Texas and Missouri kinda the same? Mostly farm, American car driving, red states? Not trying to be a smart *** (Neo, you and I have a lot of similar views and dawg I don't knwo you at all). I have family in both states and have visited both states. But I imagine Texas has more Mexicans.

I'm not taking sides because I have never owned an Epi. I skipped them and went straight for the Gibson. I would like to get the "84 reissue" explorer because I don't think I'd have the heart to redo the finish of a Gibson to look like James Hetfield's "Papa Het" explorer.[/quote']

No Texas and Missouri are nothing alike except for the southern most parts of MO close to Arkansas. I used to have a Korina Explorer some years back and it was a beautiful work of art but I sold it because I couldn't access the upper frets very well and I was doing and learning more soloing it also was a little heavy and the pups weren't hot enough for my taste. I know keeping it would have been a more logical choice but I needed another guitar and playability was all that mattered to me at the time. The hard decisions we made in the past can sometimes make us kick ourselves but sh!!t happens.

Forgive my ignorance' date=' but aren't Texas and Missouri kinda the same? Mostly farm, American car driving, red states? Not trying to be a smart *** (Neo, you and I have a lot of similar views and dawg I don't knwo you at all). I have family in both states and have visited both states. But I imagine Texas has more Mexicans.

I'm not taking sides because I have never owned an Epi. I skipped them and went straight for the Gibson. I would like to get the "84 reissue" explorer because I don't think I'd have the heart to redo the finish of a Gibson to look like James Hetfield's "Papa Het" explorer.[/quote']

Yeah I know what you mean about modding a Gibson. I have a new century flying V and I think it too would look cool with some shiny diamond plate in place of the pick guard if you didn't know it has a full pickguard. But I can't just find the courage to take this task on and I am also afraid it may add a few pounds to the weight and I don't like heavy guitars.

The issue with this statement is you missed my following statement.

Furthermore' date=' if "Epiphone and the Gibson are the same guitar" why the difference in quality and price? As for seeing the Epiphone logo under the Gibson, where can I get some of whatever you're smoking?[/quote']

Research the model. That's not your average Korean Epiphone. I'm referring to the Spirit and the Special specifically, which were made in Kalamazoo and Nashville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Spirit

That's an article on the Spirit model, which was the Les Paul-based design. The Special is lesser-known (even among the relatively unknown models). It wasn't an Epiphone SG Special, it was simply the Epiphone Special, later the Gibson Special. Because they're so close feature-wise to SGs, they're usually mistaken for an SG Special.

I have a Spirit. I've looked at practically every piece of information that exists on them on the Internet. I know what I'm talking about.

This particular example doesn't have Epiphone under Gibson, because it was never marked as a Gibson. Mine doesn't either, because it was built as a Gibson. It was only the later Kalamazoo-made examples that had that "quirk." The early Kalamazoos were sold as Epiphones, the Nashvilles were all sold as Gibsons.

Hi Neo how are you?

I know it's a bit off topic but' date=' You have one h311 of a nice guitar collection!!! I really like the Gold Top Les Paul and the EDS!!

I played an early 70's Gibson EDS Dbl. Neck at a vintage guitar shop about 10 years ago. I thought it would be really awkward to play, but it was really comfortable and the tone was absolutely amazing!

Also, I read this whole thread and as far as the Gibson vs. Epi thing goes, The way I see it is this, I think it's all a matter of taste. If the Gibson is your choice, then great! If the Epi. is your choice, that's great too! Just play and have fun! [confused

Shawn

Proud owner of my first Gibson, an 87 SG Elite USA

I'm fine Shawn, thanks for asking.

:-)

If the Gibson is your choice' date=' then great! If the Epi. is your choice, that's great too! Just play and have fun! [biggrin] [/quote']

That's always been my position too.

Buy what you want, when you can afford it, and always pay cash.

No regrets that way.

Just know what it is you're buying.

Caveat Emptor, eh?

Be cool!

:-

2004 Epiphone Dot

2005 Epiphone SG

2006 Gibson LP Std

2006 Gibson J45 MC

Epiphone Blues Custom 30

I couldn't help myself-I have to comment,after I bought the Standard I went and bought the cheapest SG that Epiphone sells that came with a little 5 watt tube amp-I wanted something to practice on at home that didnt weigh 9 lbs-I think the SG is a poplar body-Anyway my point is that after having a pro setup and using the Gibson best strings,this thing howls! nowhere near the sustain and quality of the LP,but I didnt pay much either-It has great tone and it weighs next to nothing-plug it into the Blues Custom 30 and it rocks-having been around and playing since the early 60's.the blues custom 30 with 5 12AX7's and a couple of 5881's on the power side will deliver anything that the Fender twin or twin reverb (65-66 model years) will.I am a happy customer and quit bashing Epiphone-they rock!

Holy crap. -The blizzard that hit the east coast knocked out my power and internet for the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to follow this thread. Anyhoo...

Hey gang, sorry I didn't mean to start an argument over Epiphone Vs. Gibson. I just spotted that SG on eBay the other day and thought it was interesting. I just never saw an Epi made in the 'States. -Kinda cool. That's all.

Archived