Gibson Brands Forums

Off To The Luthier

DanvillRob

Taking the Doves In Flight to the Luthier tomorrow.

It plays very well, but NOT as nice as my Dove, so I'm taking it

to a trusted Luthier for a full adjustment. He said it'll take about

a day and a half, so I should be able to pick it up after work on

Wednesday.

The Luthier is a guy named Tony, who owns Aantone's Music in

Newark, CA. He's an old family friend, and I totally trust him....but...

wish me luck!!

Good luck to you ' date=' but more good luck to the "Doves in flight"

[/quote']

HA! Yeah.... the guitar needs the good luck. Since I've known Tony for over 25 years, and have seen several of the guitars he's worked on, I'm confortable with him working on it.

I just don't like to let the DIF out of my sight!!

Thanx.

I’m curious about this post – how would you describe the difference between how the two guitars play? I ask because I have a similar situation, but I haven’t figured out exactly what to ask a luthier to do. In my case, I have a J-200 that had been my “gold standard” for how nicely a guitar could play. I recently got a new Advanced Jumbo, and it’s even nicer.

The thing that’s now bothering me (not much, but I notice it) is that when I’m playing a song with a strong strumming rhythm and fairly fast chord changes, it’s harder for me to land on the chords cleanly (without any “buzz”) On the AJ it’s almost effortless – on the J-200 I have to really concentrate, and still don’t always get clean sounding chords. The issue seems to be worst with the open A and open D chords. I do see some minor (?) fret wear on the first three frets, and wondered if that might have something to do with it.

I tried a few things including using the same strings (I have Gibson Masterbuilt Premium PB .12’s on both guitars right now), checked and adjusted relief on the SJ-200. Also, the SJ-200 had a replacement bone saddle when I bought it, and the action was very low – which I liked, but wondered if that might contribute to my issues, so I tried putting the original saddle (which was included with the guitar – as far as I can tell it looks like plastic, but it might be something else) back in – not so much because of the different material but because the original was a bit higher (resulted in a bit higher action.) All of this seemed to help, but the AJ is still nicer to play.

I’m curious about this post – how would you describe the difference between how the two guitars play? I ask because I have a similar situation' date=' but I haven’t figured out exactly what to ask a luthier to do. In my case, I have a J-200 that had been my “gold standard” for how nicely a guitar could play. I recently got a new Advanced Jumbo, and it’s even nicer.

The thing that’s now bothering me (not much, but I notice it) is that when I’m playing a song with a strong strumming rhythm and fairly fast chord changes, it’s harder for me to land on the chords cleanly (without any “buzz”) On the AJ it’s almost effortless – on the J-200 I have to really concentrate, and still don’t always get clean sounding chords. The issue seems to be worst with the open A and open D chords. I do see some minor (?) fret wear on the first three frets, and wondered if that might have something to do with it.

I tried a few things including using the same strings (I have Gibson Masterbuilt Premium PB .12’s on both guitars right now), checked and adjusted relief on the SJ-200. Also, the SJ-200 had a replacement bone saddle when I bought it, and the action was very low – which I liked, but wondered if that might contribute to my issues, so I tried putting the original saddle (which was included with the guitar – as far as I can tell it looks like plastic, but it might be something else) back in – not so much because of the different material but because the original was a bit higher (resulted in a bit higher action.) All of this seemed to help, but the AJ is still nicer to play.

[/quote']

Well, for me, the Dove has a nice low action. The Doves In Flight has a straight neck, but the action is just a tad higher on neck. The saddle is bone, and I know the luthier can shave it down "enough" without shaving it "too much". The nut may need shaving, but I don't think so.

Since I'm a long way from being a luthier, I'll let him tell me what it needs.

When he's done with it, I may give him my Jubilee. I noticed as of late it's starting to "buzz". The frets are pretty worn, (after all, it's been played a LOT over the last 35 years!). But first things first... I want the DIF to be as good as it can be.

These are just things I know I'd honk up....thus...to the luthier it goes!

Archived