Gibson Brands Forums

How do you pick your pedals?

Andre S

I am going to say if you are new to efx pedals in general......that a basic multi-efx unit that is low in cost is a good investment just to be able

to get an idea of all the efx and what you would maybe like to pursue in a higher quality unit. Digitech is one of the companies that has a few

selections new from like $75 to $175 that if you read the manual and spend some time with it ....you will be able to get some good sounds out of it

....but really more importantly also learn the different effects and there parameters....

You could just play it safe and stick with the ones people often speak highly of. I ordered and am waiting for a Tim OD pedal but I've never heard one in person; so, I can't say if I'll like it or not. Pretty much everything I've read about them is positive and I figured it was a safe bet.

Don't go Cheap, and don't go Expensive till you know what you want. Expensive or "Boutique" effects are usually the highest quality, but may be so unique sounding that you just can't get "Normal" sounds out of it.

Make full use of music stores return policies. If you really don't like it, return it for store credit and try the other one.

My personal preferences would be for MXR, Ibanez reissue (no experience with the new Smash Boxes), and Boss. I think the Boss OS2 Overdrive Distortion may be right up your ally. It gets a good Distortion that's very much like the Boss DS1 and Overdrive similar to Boss Blues Driver. The only problem is you can't dial in both sounds at once.

Personally I like the MXR distortion+, sounds more like Late 70's Early 80's distortion as opposed to the later 80's an 90's super saturated Distortion. For that I'd go with Boss.

Plus I'd never go anywhere without an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Used to have a TS-10, Now it's a TS-9 which is much warmer than the 10. Never had the pleasure of owning a TS808, but I have tried a couple on other guitarists set up. Like 'em a lot.

Go for analog pedals over digital every time (the only exception I would make is a digital delay pedal).

Hmm..I'd say' date=' a Slash/Johnny A/Bonamassa type tone...

I already decided on a wah, the dunlop original, Trying to decide on an OD pedal, I really don't like distortion

I like Johnny A's dirty tone like what he uses in 2 wheel horse

I believe there is some Johnny A open forum vids around, so I can see what he uses there....

And I dunno.....I was thinking maybe a Q-zone, but don't know how much use that would be, with a wah in the chain.

DAS: [biggrin[lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin]

Are Nine: Are those available from big internet stores like music123, or a particular website?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll google it

i do lots of research, see what different stuff the pros use (check out gear tours on youtube of your favorite bands and such) and i also look for pedal reviews on youtube. then i pick the one i like the most that i find and if i know someone who owns one too, i try it out to see if i like it.... if not, well then i usually just order it. if i didnt like it id just return it and try a different one. [biggrin]

Hmm..I'd say' date=' a Slash/Johnny A/Bonamassa type tone...

I already decided on a wah, the dunlop original, Trying to decide on an OD pedal, I really don't like distortion

I like Johnny A's dirty tone like what he uses in 2 wheel horse

I believe there is some Johnny A open forum vids around, so I can see what he uses there....

And I dunno.....I was thinking maybe a Q-zone, but don't know how much use that would be, with a wah in the chain.

DAS: :-[lol[lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][biggrin]

Are Nine: Are those available from big internet stores like music123, or a particular website?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll google it

Get a Crybaby Classic it has the red fasel inductor in it.

As for OD pedals many love the Fulltone OCD. I personally think it adds to much low end to your tone.

I've been very happy with Digitech's Bad Monkey, and I paid under 40 dollars for it!

I'm not, in ways, much into pedals.

Except... when there's a specific sound you want.

I also think a volume pedal can be nice if you don't overdo it. It's easier than walking over to the amp and it can be used for kinda a pedal steel effect.

I've a multi-effect jobbie, a Leslie emulator and a phaser I've had since the early 1970s and never used in a gig.

Mostly I use the multi-effect thingie to get a little more push from the guitar.

m

I do a bit of research including asking around on message boards and checking out some sound clips or videos and, if possible, go to a store that carries the pedal to try it out. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith if you can't try the pedal in person first before buying; it's a bit trickier with dirt pedals.

I buy my pedals without first-hand experience with them, due to the very limited market of my island. I can only get Boss, Digitech and Ibanez around here. So, my only solutions are:

1. YouTube. But try to find videos that guys play with equipment close to yours. For example, most OD will sound great through a good tube amp, but if you don't own a good tube amp, the video will be misleading. #

Gearmanndude & Pro Guitar Shop are the channels you should look into first.

2. Harmony Central

Truly helpful with lots of reviews. Take your time.

3. My only advise: Stay away from digital pedals (with the exception of the delays, as so wisely mentioned above. Digital delays can be great as well). The line that ''most people are satisfied with Boss'' doesn't work for me. Hell, most people are satisfied with our governments all around the planet! [blink] Perhaps because they don't know any better...?

4. Don't stick to clishes, like ''boutique / hand-made pedals are overpriced / expensive''. I own 2 fabulous pedals (check out my signature) that sell a little less than a mass-produced Boss. For what it's worth, I will suggest a pedal-maker that is reasonaly-priced and their pedals kick serious a$$: M.I. Audio. [blink]

Good luck with the hunt! It's lot of fun! [blink]

You're getting really good advice here - the internet is a great resource for researching pedals!

If you're looking for OD pedals...don't laugh...the Danelectro Cool Cat CO-1 (less than $30US) and CTO-01 (less than $50US) are good pedals, if a little weeny looking. Search the demos and pedal shootouts on YouTube and you'll see what I mean. You can buy a OCD or a Timmy after you know what you really want, but those Cool Cat ODs are a great way to figure it out.

Take the money you save and put it towards a good digital delay ( I have the DL4, but I'm a woman so what do I know). :-({|=

I typically start on-line to get an idea of what all is available. Then I go look for on-line demos. Finally I hit a music store and find one to try.

Sometimes I will heed the advice of reputable members of this forum and try specific pedals.

Or ToneLabs, as it were.

:-({|=

Boutique/ Handmade? Why not do it yourself? Check these guys out.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index1.html

I built a British Blues Overdrive ( a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone ) It sounds great, you can modify it and it costs 69 dollars US. If you can find an original bluesbreaker I believe they are in the $200 + range for one in good shape.

You can also hear examples of most of their pedals on youtube done by a "gearmandude"

They use top parts and have amazing support. Check them out.

Boutique/ Handmade? Why not do it yourself? Check these guys out.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index1.html

I built a British Blues Overdrive ( a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone ) It sounds great' date=' you can modify it and it costs 69 dollars US. If you can find an original bluesbreaker I believe they are in the $200 + range for one in good shape.

You can also hear examples of most of their pedals on youtube done by a "gearmandude"

They use top parts and have amazing support. Check them out.[/quote']

Lol...

I can barely manage rewiring my guitar, far less those tiny little parts...

I did rewire my guitar successfully though...but no..

The british blues overdrive does look nice though...sighs

First and for most I go for quality manufacturing. Second, what are other guitarists saying about the product. Third, if I can't play one myself, it's Youtube. Finally, what are the magazines saying about it.

In the past six months I've picked up the Fulltone Deja-Vibe 2 and the Homebrew Ultimate Fuzz Octave. My Maxon AD999 is will be here later in the month.

I think I'm doing pretty well.:D

First and for most I go for quality manufacturing. Second' date=' what are other guitarists saying about the product. Third, if I can't play one myself, it's Youtube. Finally, what are the magazines saying about it.

In the past six months I've picked up the Fulltone Deja-Vibe 2 and the Homebrew Ultimate Fuzz Octave. My Maxon AD999 is will be here later in the month.

I think I'm doing pretty well.:D [/quote']

hmm

The fulltone ocd sounds nice, so I'll see about that and the wah

I was planning to A/B my amps, with the Line 6 for dirty, but I may not bother depending on the tone of the OCD.

I like the BK Butler Tube Overdrive, like what Johnny A uses, a good example being on 2 wheel horse, but they are pretty pricey, and its kinda silly to buy a pedal thats more expensive than my main amp....

Archived