Gibson Brands Forums

Fender American Special

Silenced Fred

Has anyone played one? Yes, I know this isn't the Fender Forum, but quite a few people here play em, and stuff.

Just askin', cuz I played one earlier today at guitar center, and I kinda liked it. I haven't heard much about em, but I think I will wait to save up the extra two hundred and go with an American Standard

Has anyone played one? Yes' date=' I know this isn't the Fender Forum, but quite a few people here play em, and stuff.

Just askin', cuz I played one earlier today at guitar center, and I kinda liked it. I haven't heard much about em, but I think I will wait to save up the extra two hundred and go with an American Standard[/quote']

I have an American Mahogany Special. I love it, particularly the neck pup. Very inspiring [biggrin] It's an excellent blues guitar for me.

MSS025-1.jpg

I have an American Mahogany Special. I love it' date=' particularly the neck pup. Very inspiring [biggrin'] It's an excellent blues guitar for me.

MSS025-1.jpg

I really like those, but I'm actually talking about the new Special series, American Made and they sell for 800 bucks. Those Mahogany Specials are the best man, I really dig those

I don't know about the Special, but I've probly played about 10 or so of the current Standard and I don't think you can go wrong. I like.

I love the finish on the neck. It's perfect for a Strat.

Only thing I don't like is the scale length and the bridge is a bit ackward for me to rest my hand on but hey.. Those are just Fender things.

I prefer Gibson.

I really like those' date=' but I'm actually talking about the new Special series, American Made and they sell for 800 bucks. Those Mahogany Specials are the best man, I really dig those[/quote']

Ahhh ok. Sorry man. So you're not talkin about these:

MSS015-1.jpg

Got it...

[biggrin]

After the road worn post I was in the local m&p and tried one

out. I like the worn neck. Played a couple new Amercan Standards

to compare they were pretty close and all played very well. Like bothe

the Maple and Rosewood fret boards but would take the Maple just

for the looks.

CW

I'm a Maple guy too.

Yeah, the Mahogany Specials Chan is talking about was a short run from a few years back.

There were several very cool variations in both a Strat and Tele body.

The new one is basically an American Standard without a hard case and missing a few key features.

Fred, you're right on the money. Save another $200 ($150 street price) and get the real deal.

If you ever try to sell that Special, the value will be substantially lower than the American Standard.

You'll LOSE money in the end.

And any guitar worth owning should have a hard case - end of story.

I'm a Maple guy too.

Yeah' date=' the Mahogany Specials Chan is talking about was a short run from a few years back.

There were several very cool variations in both a Strat and Tele body.

The new one is basically an American Standard without a hard case and missing a few key features.

Fred, you're right on the money. Save another $200 ($150 street price) and get the real deal.

If you ever try to sell that Special, the value will be substantially lower than the American Standard.

And any guitar worth owning should have a hard case - end of story.[/quote']

I mean it essentially is a Standard, without the case, and a regular truss rod, and different pickups. The Standard is the way to go. And I completely agree that any guitar needs a hard case.

Basically, they're gonna use the big seventies headstock as a gimmick to sell the guitars.

And with an inferior truss rod at that.

No thanks.

I built these using new Highway One necks.

It's the normal, modern, Modified C, 22 fret neck with real truss rod adjustment - only with a big headstock.

I was going for the seventies look and vibe without the associated bullsh!t of owning them.

3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg

3375030716_7916545698.jpg

If you want a big headstock, put one of these necks on an American Standard.

If you can't spring for the extra $150 to get the Real Deal, you probably should rethink your spending.

Chan' date=' did you ever see the Mahogany Strat O Sonic?

THAT was the one I wanted, with the Dove P-90's.

I finally just built the Ash Strat and bought the P-90's from Fender.

[/quote']

No sir. I never got a shot at one of the matching Mahogany Teles either...

I love those you built... beautiful guitars!

Damn you Chan... I had my GAS under control' date=' I really love those. I first want an Oly white w rosewood fretboard, then I want a 335, then the Mahogany Special.

Any excuse to post shameless pictures.... I'm ashamed. You should just send it to me :-k [/quote']

I was just making sure you weren't talking about this American Special:

MSS009.jpg

I wasn't trying to shamelessly post gratuitous pictures of my gorgeous Mahogany Strat in an effort to worsen your GAS.

much.

Let us know what you end up with [blush]

Strat Specs for Fred 61

AMERICAN SPECIAL - $1,100 / AMERICAN STANDARD $1,300

Texas Special Alnico - PICKUPS - Am. Std. Alnico V

Vintage-style, narrow saddle spacing - TREM BRIDGE - 2-Point, Bent Saddles, Hi-Mass Block

Greasebucket Tone Circuit - ELECTRONICS - Standard + Delta Tone 'no-load'

Neck Details

22 Jumbo - FRETS - 22 Medium Jumbo

Big 70's - HEADSTOCK - Normal small

Satin Front and Back - FINISH - Gloss Front, Satin Back, rolled edges

Standard - TRUSS ROD - Bi-Flex

None - MICRO TILT - Adjustable

Standard - TUNERS - Deluxe

Deluxe Gig Bag - CASE - Molded Rectangular SKB

EVERYTHING on the American Standard side of the column is worth the extra $150.

Hell, the case alone would cost that much.

I won't bother going into the marketing efforts from Fender.

It's a long story except to say that the ending is the same as what Gibson is pulling now.

If it succeeds, it's only because the customers are uninformed and taken advantage of.

Don't be that guy.

Fred' date=' you're right on the money. Save another $200 ($150 street price) and get the real deal.

And any guitar worth owning should have a hard case - end of story.[/quote']

+1

Good advice. [biggrin]

+2' date=' and chanman would you consider giving that strat to me as a gift?...just askin :-k ;) [biggrin']

You wouldn't want it. It came off the wall at Guitar Center...

:-$

Everyone knows you can't get a decent guitar that way.... :D

If you like the special more than the standard get the special. They probably sound and feel very different, and it comes down to personal preference. Everyone's different, and just because it costs more doesn't mean you are personally going to prefer it.

You said you played the special and liked it, so go and play the standard and if you honestly feel that it's worth the extra money then spend the extra money. But if you play both and find you like the Special better, then get it. It's what feels and sounds good to you that matters.

Nope.

The cuts they made means it's a guitar for fools.

The same regard I give to some of the cheaper Gibson models out there...

But hey, 98% of the guitars are NOT bought by people who NEED them, so logic is good for only so much.

If you like the special more than the standard get the special. They probably sound and feel very different' date=' and it comes down to personal preference. Everyone's different, and just because it costs more doesn't mean you are personally going to prefer it. [/quote']

Your logic would work just fine except for guys like me.

If I recognize what Fender (or Gibson) is trying to do, it's very unlikely I'll even play one.

I've looked closely at the new Special, and found nothing wrong with it, but I won't bother to play one.

Why?

Because I know for a fact I'll never buy one.

I'm okay with the fact that some of them might play very well - they're supposed to!

Fred, follow adlankj's advice.

Play lotsa Standards, and choose the one you like!

[biggrin]

I'm digging the Oly White, but I can't decide between maple and rosewood. What are the benefits of either?

I played one, just because I feel I need to get my hands on it before I can truly judge it. Didn't like it. Nothing wrong with it persay, but I didn't like it.

Feel will be the biggest difference. If it's a finished maple neck it'll be Slicker and maybe a little "Faster" than a Rosewood Neck.

Then there's tone. Rosewood sound Darker and Warmer while the Maple comes off Bright and Crisp, better for the "Cluck" you get from the Bridge/Middle position.

Some folks will say you can't hear a difference, but since I can hear a difference, I suppose their is one.

Archived