Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody own or played a Gibson J-45 Rosewood?

pig140

Late to the ball here, but my 2 cents anyhow. Played one, it was rich, sweet as others have said. OTH, they do amplify

the j45s (semi) weak point, a (somewhat) softer treble (compared, say, to a j185 or a 00018). In that, the 45Rw more like a

fat loud 00028 (which also have projection issues) than a D28. The AJ is more 28-like, but mixes the big bass with a crisp top,

end and more note separation. IMHO. Hope that's what's right for you, Pig. Cheers.

hey pig 140! didja get it yet? should be in the next day or so' date=' right? i hope so. i took the leap and went with a rosewood southern jumbo. gets here friday. guess i was gassing harder than i thought. pics, pics, pics![/quote']

Not yet, been tracking it. Scheduled for saturday delivery, I can't wait! BUT, I found out some things that weren't in the auction. Not sure how to take it. The nut has been changed to graphite and the pins have been changed to brass. I was planning on putting in bone pins anyway, so that's no big deal, but a graphite nut?

A rosewood southern jumbo? Those are pretty rare, right? I'd love to see pics when you get it!

Late to the ball here' date=' but my 2 cents anyhow. Played one, it was rich, sweet as others have said. OTH, they do amplify

the j45s (semi) weak point, a (somewhat) softer treble (compared, say, to a j185 or a 00018). In that, the 45Rw more like a

fat loud 00028 (which also have projection issues) than a D28. The AJ is more 28-like, but mixes the big bass with a crisp top,

end and more note separation. IMHO. Hope that's what's right for you, Pig. Cheers.[/quote']

Actually, I prefer the 000-28 over the D-28, so that's good to hear. I love the sound of a Martin 000-28!

Congrats on your guitar.I was all set to buy a martin D-28. I got to try an AJ and bought it immediatly instead. About a month later I tried out a j-45RW and if I had found that one first I probably would have bought it. Your going to love your rwJ-45.

I got it in, but I have a few mods to do. I really, really like it, but I don't love it....yet. The saddle had been shaved way too low and the brass bridge pins did not sound good to my ear. I immediately put in ebony pins, changed the extra light strings to medium lights, and had the neck adjusted. I have a bone saddle and pins coming from Bob Colosi. The graphite nut looks awesome, but eventually, I'll probably change it back to bone.

The guitar itself is absolutely beautiful. Some people say the bridge and fretboard on the J-45RW is rosewood and some say ebony. Maybe it just depends on your year, but mine is DEFINITELY ebony, its obvious from looking at it AND its says it on the hang tag. The burst is incredible and the rosewood b/s are awesome. Pics posted when the new saddle gets put in.....

All the work is done! Me and a luthier friend (with 50-60 years experience) polished the fretboard, polished the frets, adjusted the truss rod, installed the Bob Colosi bone saddle and pins, and wiped it down. It looks BRAND NEW with the exception of the upgrades! It looks really sweet with the black graphite nut and pure white bone saddle - and it sounds AMAZING! Not to mention I got to learn alot about setting up guitars.

Thanks for all you guys help on deciding this! Pics when I get chance......

Archived