Gibson Brands Forums

Robot SG?

Silenced Fred

My local Guitar Center has them for 499 plus case.... what is going on? It doesn't show that price on the site, but both the ones I have been to near me have them for 499 with case.

I wouldn't buy one, because if they are discounting it that much, something has to be wrong with them...

My local Guitar Center has them for 499 plus case.... what is going on? It doesn't show that price on the site' date=' but both the ones I have been to near me have them for 499 with case.

I wouldn't buy one, because if they are discounting it that much, something has to be wrong with them...[/quote']

Did you ask them? I wouldn't buy one either but I'm curious now.

Did you ask them? I wouldn't buy one either but I'm curious now.

The "sales representive" said that they are having a "good sale" on them right now, and said nothing else. Its marked clearance, but off of 1399 original price... it sounds fishy. and it isnt just for floor models...

My local Guitar Center has them for 499 plus case.... what is going on? It doesn't show that price on the site' date=' but both the ones I have been to near me have them for 499 with case.

I wouldn't buy one, because if they are discounting it that much, something has to be wrong with them...[/quote']

Damn,.....I always miss this sh!t.....online is still 1200+

I would buy it, and keep it, if it stops working, then upgrade the stuff to standard stuff

$499 ain't worth it? It's basically a Studio with electronics.

I've not messed with one myself, and I don't know a ton about them... but I'm assuming you can not put a battery in it and tune manually?

Geeze I'd snag one if I was local.

they are probably overstocked on them and cant get rid of them.... theyre probably just wasting warehouse space so theyre trying to get rid of them any way they can.... :)

They aren't popular - that's what's wrong. For $499 I'd buy it. Even if the electronics stopped working' date=' you could install standard stuff in it and still come out cheaper than the SG Special - and you'd get a bound headstock.[/quote']

+1

I would also buy it on the spot! For that price...? What worries me however, is the reason behind it. As another forum member mentioned, if Gibson was indeed in financial trouble, we would see massive sale / ''offers'' at major retailers. And now... we do! Even for a specific model. Is this a warning bell...[cool]

I believe you can tune it manually so if it quits working just tune

it manually then. I'm going to have to check this out. For that

price it would make a great slide guitar.

CW

I don't think the tuners work at all, its all for show I believe.

I was considering it, but I don't need a gimmicky guitar right now. I have all my purchases planned out for the next 5000 or so.

Mesa transatlantic, Fender American Standard Strat, Es-335

I don't think the tuners work at all' date=' its all for show I believe.

I was considering it, but I don't need a gimmicky guitar right now.

[/quote']

If any one with a Robot is here can you let us now if you can tune it manually.

I wouldn't get one if you can't. What I've heard is you pull the tuner out for manual.

CW

I wouldn't get one if you can't. What I've heard is you pull the tuner out for manual.

CW

I believe you pull the tuner out to manually tune.

CW

Yes you can tune manual, it's easy. When tuners are pushed in (robot) when pulled out (manual).

If they are really letting them go for $500... PICK ONE UP! They are awesome guitars... I have the Les Paul.

Never had any problems with mine and everybody loves it. Crazy if you dont buy one... something smells fishy. Retail on mine was $4,000 and I picked it up for $1k.

For the SG there is a Special model and one that is a Standard like model with the bound neck and headstock with inlay. I can't find the bound neck version on Gibson site though.........hmmm

OK the bound one was the SG Robot Limited............

Basically what you are saying is:

Guitar Center is selling them at 499 with case.

We should asume even at that price they are making a profit.

Say, they make 10% out of it... 50 bucks.

That leaves 449 for gibson.

Now take on acount the Robot tech, gibson bought it and it's suposed to be expensive.

Lets say it's about 200 bucks to put it there.

It leaves us with a 249 guitar.

Case? 49 bucks.

Now we have a $200 guitar.

Shiping, handling, and other stuff $50.

That leaves us with a $150 guitar with a gibson headstock that they wanted to sell us for 1300.

Interesting. Really interesting if you ask me.

All you do is pull the button out and tune in manualy, they are a steal for 499 esp if it's one of the limited runs with an ebony board, bound neck, it's like's like getting a standard for 499, plus they have a locking roller bridge and isolated stopbar. You could probly sell the robot parts for more than 499, people pay 499 for just the body, I'm on my way to GC, have a 10% off card i'll try and use too, hope they have a silverburst. I use my 2 all the time they are great guitars with a bad rep.

No luck at my store, they guy checked the system and a few limited purple ones out in cal for 899, that could be cheaper if they are blowing them out. He said I'd have to call

Archived