Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody think Gibson will reissue the EB2 bass?

iddude

Gaolee, I can understand why you would like to have a second EB-2! I would like to have one myself! I believe Gibson isn't interested in reissuing this bass or one like it, because Gretsch and companies like Warwick (Starbass) are making basses similar to the EB-2. I do give credit for Gibson that they reissued the Grabber and Ripper, but I think the EB-2 won't become a reality because not many people are aware of how nice they were.

I think Gibson has been too busy with gimmicks to sell their famous guitars by implementing instruments such as the Reverse Explorer, the Holey Explorer, the birch laminated Zoot Suit SG, the 7 string Explorer, and others. I don't dislike some of the "gimmick" guitars; but I wish the EB-2 became a reality. I think a 5 string EB-2 option to the 4 string, would be a "gimmick" I would be interested in too!

I'll have to +1 "iddude".

The fact of the matter is Gibson, and any other American manufacturer of anything, is trying to stay above water. There is NO market for Gibson basses, Fender locked that up about 1954 (or '52). Gibson basses were originaly designed for the frustrated guitar player that couldn't get hired as a guitar player and decided to play bass so he could still be there to pickup chics. I was there through the Grabber and Ripper years and they were a joke.

In the early 90's my band was asked to headline a show at one of this biggest nightclubs in St. Louis (for free). It was a "showcase" sponsored by Gibson Guitars. As we showed up backstage we were told that we either had to play OUR Gibson instruments, or instruments provided the Gibson Rep (who was an unemployed drummer.......).

Part of the problem with Gibson AND Fender, is all this different model crap.

My EB2 has a DiMarzio humbucker instead of the stock neck pickup, so it's not exactly like the usual EB2. I saw an Eastwood hollowbody today. It's a nice bass, and dirt cheap for what it is. I guess it's made in China. The main issue with it, as I see it, is the floating bridge. I can imagine changing strings and never quite getting the intonation right ever again.

rd artist- That's a great looking Casady bass; I thought they only came with a yellow body! Until the EB2 becomes a reality, I think this would work great! Gaolee mentioned the Eastwood bass; I haven't seen their basses, but I've seen their semi-hollow guitars that look awesome. I've had many nice non-Gibson basses, but I got rid of them all. I bought a used Epi EBO in great shape and it's fun to play with the short scale. I think I'll save my money and perhaps one day I'll score an EB2 in great shape.

• 5 years later...

I think the Midtown Bass and the ES bass were aiming at potential EB-2 buyers, but I would really love a reissue of the real thing and with the original electronics.

Might be a job for Epiphone too since they did very well with the JC sig. I used one as my main giggin bass for some time.

I'm a huge fan of hollowbody basses, got my '69 EB-2 in 1990 for $200, it's completely intact and has a couple factory "special-order" features.

I also have a Midtown and love it, it gigs a lot!

I had one of the 90s Epi Rivolis and compared to my EB-2 it wasn't even close. Not bad, just not great.

My guess is, as cellkirk stated, the Midtown and ES-335 Bass are meant to cover the hollowbody market.

Might be a job for Epiphone too since they did very well with the JC sig. I used one as my main giggin bass for some time.

There had been talk of that HERE a few years back even an advert on Music 123 but for some reason it was dropped. Maybe due to Gibson releasing the Midtown or ES335 bass.

I would love an Epi Rivoli re-issue, I find my Epi Elite EB3 a better instrument than the Gibson SG Bass.

I find my Epi Elite EB3 a better instrument than the Gibson SG Bass.

I have to agree that the MIJ Epi Elitists were of superb quality, and I too preferred mine to the SG that replaced it in 2005. My son liked the Epi so much that I gave it to him as a birthday present, and he still has it. They weren't cheap dates at the time (I think about $1,000). I bought mine used from a guy who worked for Gibson in Nashville for a very reasonable price.

I modified it a bit, adding a Gibson TB-Plus humbucker and re-wiring it for 3 pups... Great sounding bass and a blast to play - I wish I still had it!

100_1321.jpg

Archived