Gibson Brands Forums

Any 12 -String Gibsons Available?

J-200 Koa

I wish I could get over the restringing and tuning

reservations I have about 12 strings 'cause I'd love

a J185 12er (although the ladder-braced varieties

are really great!)

Could be worse' date=' Geoff -- you could have a Rick 12-string to restring! [biggrin

513422703_2dc8758ab6.jpg?v=1180470236

Fred

+1

Restringing my Rick 360/12 is my least favourite job . . . in fact it's more of a project than a job.

My J-185 12 string, however, is easy to string up and it stays in tune really well. Best of all it really is a beautiful sounding guitar.

I wish I could get over the restringing and tuning

reservations I have about 12 strings 'cause I'd love

a J185 12er (although the ladder-braced varieties

are really great!)

I've never understood this lament. But then, stringing and tuning a 12-string has never bothered me. I like fiddling with guitars! In the end, it's just like doing two guitars!

I just bought the (supposedly) last 12 string Gibson Hummingbird from Fullers last Friday. I don't know whether they will be getting any more. It would be worth a call. Fuller's does have a really cool Advanced Jumbo 12 string. It's a different sound than the Hummingbird. Interesting and beautiful guitar. Didn't see any J-185 12's. I'd call Fullers--if it's possible to get one, they can do it.

Dwight

I've never understood this lament. But then' date=' stringing and tuning a 12-string has never bothered me. I like fiddling with guitars! In the end, it's just like doing two guitars![/quote']

I agree with one exception! My Rickenbacker really is a nightmare to string up. After many years of the same spade headstock they recently changed to a 'proper' slotted headstock on the 360/12 ans I wonder if that makes it any easier . . . it should in theory, although if the slots are the same size as they were before then they will still be a bit tricky as they are very narrow.

Could be worse' date=' Geoff -- you could have a Rick 12-string to restring! :)

[img']http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/513422703_2dc8758ab6.jpg?v=1180470236[/img]

Fred

Fred,

You should look at Roger McGuinn's DVD on the 12 string guitar. He goes through a very clear and easy technique for changing the strings on a Rick 12 string. Following his advice I've found the change on my Rick 12 to be a lot less daunting.

Nothin' up my sleeve...

PRESTO!

J-185-12

That's a good picture' date=' then you need to scroll down this page to get the details:

J-185-12 details

Doesn't seem like a bad price, considering they don't make 'em anymore! Get out the card!

Cheers!

Rick...[lol]

The j185 is my favourite 12 string and I hope to have one, one day.

The j185 is my favourite 12 string and I hope to have one' date=' one day.[/quote']

Yeah, the J-185 makes a pretty classy looking 12-string! I don't play 12-string much, but did have a Guild F512 for awhile before I traded it off. I tend to Travis pick or play fingerstyle a lot, and just couldn't get comfortable doing anything much but strumming on the F512, but that thing was a beast, really roared!

Cheers!

Rick...[lol]

I'll share a couple of thoughts on 12 strings, if I may?

Last year I organised a small get together of Forum members in the UK. Gibson were very kind enough to allow us to use their showroom in London. At a planning type meeting I went to their offices - WOW! It' heaven. They have a range of guitars they lend out to their endorsees in the UK and one of them was a red J185-12.

Picked it up an instantly fell in love after the first G chord. It's an absolute belter. It was a bit beaten up as you might expect but just oozed class. They wouldn't sell it to me!

Gibson let us borrow some toys at our get together but the 185-12 was out on loan to some British rock icon, no doubt.

I was sniffing around an SWD-12 last year but it was too much money. But there next to the Gibson I found the Tak I have. Used but a good deal and in perfect condish'. Again, it took one strum of a big G chord to know I'd found a good'un.

I love 12 strings but don't fingerpick at all on it - not that I'm any good at that pickin' lark.

Whenever I learn a new song, the first thought is "will it work on the 12 string?" Thankfully, the answer is frequently, "yes".

I own a Martin J-12-15 solid mahogany satin finish' date=' I had a Fishman installed. It is a inexpensive guitar that will blow walls out....it may not be pretty, but then look at the company it keeps! [biggrin] [/quote']

The whole -15 series is astonishing for the money! If what I read recently is true, the J12-15 is owned by Eric Clapton, who loves it, amongst others.

I wouldn't mind one of the slothead 000's from the -15 series. I like the -16 series too. About the highest I go up the Martin scale is the D-18V. After that, I don't have a lot of interest. They just don't hook me except the -15, -16, and -18 series.

I guess I have peasant tastes, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

I'll share a couple of thoughts on 12 strings' date=' if I may?

Last year I organised a small get together of Forum members in the UK. Gibson were very kind enough to allow us to use their showroom in London. At a planning type meeting I went to their offices - WOW! It' heaven. They have a range of guitars they lend out to their endorsees in the UK and one of them was a red J185-12.

[/quote']

I love my J-185 12 I tried a lot of 12 strings before I got it and although it wasn't quite the most comfortable to play the sound was so lush compared with everything else I got. After getting used to the neck I now find it very comfortable to play and I use it a lot. I'd love to see a red one, and I'd love a sunburst one (only natural were available at the time I got mine, and it has the most amazing curly maple back and sides I have ever seen on an acoustic guitar. I should learn how to post pictures!

The whole -15 series is astonishing for the money! If what I read recently is true' date=' the J12-15 is owned by Eric Clapton, who loves it, amongst others.

I wouldn't mind one of the slothead 000's from the -15 series. I like the -16 series too. About the highest I go up the Martin scale is the D-18V. After that, I don't have a lot of interest. They just don't hook me except the -15, -16, and -18 series.

I guess I have peasant tastes, LOL!

Cheers!

Rick...[smile

Rick

I love mine, it has a rich tone and tons of volume. I ordered it thru GC three years ago and paid $675.00 for it brand new from Martin. It was money well spent.

Rick

I love mine' date=' it has a rich tone and tons of volume. I ordered it thru GC three years ago and paid $675.00 for it brand new from Martin. It was money well spent.[/quote']

Yep, $675 is well worth it! They're one of those guitars I've never heard a bad thing about. Everyone I've met who has played one has nothing but good to say about 'em! One of these days, I'll probably take the plunge o that 000 12-fret slothead -15.

Cheers!

Rick...[-(

Archived