Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson Acoustic for Old Country(Hank Williams Sr.)

ecsong187

Just looking for what you guys recommend for someone who is mainly into playing old country like Hank Williams Sr./Elvis/Johnny Cash?

I am pretty set on a Southern Jumbo, but they are hard as heck to find! haha

I like the J-45, but love the inlays on the Southern Jumbo.

Pretty set on finding a Southern Jumbo. Which ones should I hunt for? Are the new ones any good at all?

I'm open to suggestions. So what models do you recommend and why?

Thanks

Edwin

You can play that ol sock rhythm on most anything, but if its got to be like Hank: his bio has a pick of him as a youngin' with a J35, but mostly he played Martins --D18, D28. The photos Ive seen of him with the SJ were on the Hadacol Caravan, around 51--an exception. Then it was back to the Martin. You can price either on gbase, ebay, etc.

hank & D28. http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/files/2009/09/hank_williams_photo.jpg

Thanks guys I understand that I can play Hank on anything, but I guess I really dig the looks of the SJ.

The one for sale on the forum isn't a TV is it though?

I want something that is slope shoulder and based on the older 40's Gibsons with a fat thick neck.

Thanks

Edwin Song

The True Vintage series don't have particularly fat necks. Great guitars mind you! The Legend series do but are of course a lot more expensive.

As far as Hank is concerned, he was more a Martin man. There is even a Hank Williams signature Martin D-28.

But hey, it sounds like you like the SJ. So get one! [thumbup]

Would the True Vintage have closer specs to the 40's SJs?Thanks Edwin

Close to vintage? Now here is a can of worms. The SJ-TV is famously a "not exact copy of a particular model" which means they miscegnated a post 56 50s pg and belly bridge with a 40s banner headstock. The std SJ is all late 50s (add block logo) ie not like Hank. Want a 40s appointed SJ? Get out the wallet and track down a Woody Guthre sig, Hank jr models or one of the specials from Fullers. Or get a D28. JK

Hmm looks pretty good. Anyone know what a good price on it would be? Would this have the fatter neck that I want? It says it's based on 50's Sjs? So this would be a bit smaller than the 40's ones correct?

Anyone know how this would compare to the Woody Guthrie SJ as far as neck size? I like fat necks on my guitars.

Thanks

Edwin

Archived