Gibson Brands Forums

gold top1957 vos

bullseye99

man am i ever confused i have just got what i think is a good deal on a 1957 vos.

here in the uk gibson have taken over selling direct so there is still a bit of confusion as where and when dealers will get guitars.

now my problem is that i cannot buy this guitar outright and the one (which i like)guitar that i might sacrifice would be my 2007 lp standard .is this vos worth it?

any input would be much appriciated as i am still undecided](*,)

You have to play them and make the decision yourself. A bunch of strangers can't answer that for you.

See if the dealer will let you take it home for the night. If not then bring your Standard to the store and compare them side by side.

Hope this helps.

Its a thing you'll have to decide.

I have a R7 Goldtop and its sounds so much 'bigger' than my Standard used to. The neck is huge, which may or may not be to your liking, but sonically and mojo-wise it is in a different league altogether. Play both together through a familiar set up in the shop. Take your time and decide if the difference (and there is one) is worth the extra moulah!

Here's mine:

IMG_3722-1-1.jpg

ok so it is now official i am suffering from the g.a.s. symptomes. i got on the phone to the dealer and after much negotiation he could offer me this guitar on a 24 month interest free deal at a lower price if i did not trade in :D so my standard has been saved but i will need to sweet talk the wife out of not crunching my nuts as she says ''what do you want another guitar for you can only play one at a time :D '' i am looking forward to a new addition to the family real soon:-({|=

well the ultimate disaster has struck-because i had to special order this guitar and agree/pay up front i have just learned that the dealer here in the uk (soundcontrol) has gone into administration ^_^ so now not only am i not getting the guitar but i will have to wait and see if i can get my money/agreement refunded as i have not recieved the goods](*,)

Gone into "Administration" means what? A problem as a Gibson Dealer' date=' financial bankruptcy or something else?

Whatever it is, I wish you the best![/quote']

Hey Denny, is your post count a mistake or have you really made 722 posts in two weeks?

Ouch #-o Hope #-o hey get your money back soon.

Since you don't seem to have the R7 available to check out, you'll have to trust us that there is a pretty significant tonal difference between the Standard and the R7. I do recommend playing a 50s neck if you haven't. My Standard has the 60s neck and I really enjoy it. I was a bit apprehensive about the fatter 50s, but I actually like it better. Beyond that, it would be difficult to test drive one.

Good luck with you acquisition of the "Holy Grail", hope to see your next posting "Got it!!!"

Ouch #-o Hope they get your money back soon.

Since you don't seem to have the R7 available to check out, you'll have to trust us that there is a pretty significant tonal difference between the Standard and the R7. I do recommend playing a 50s neck if you haven't. My Standard has the 60s neck and I really enjoy it. I was a bit apprehensive about the fatter 50s, but I actually like it better. Beyond that, it would be difficult to test drive one.

Good luck with you acquisition of the "Holy Grail", hope to see your next posting "Got it!!!"

thanks for the kind words silverburst=d>

there may be some light at the end of the tunnel as although the finiance was signed when i pre-ordered the r7 but as a result of soundcontrol uk going into administration all orders pending were cancelled!!!

so i think i should be ok as the finance company says that you cannot pay for something that the shop has not provided.i will need to wait and get all this in writing before i make another move[-o<

on the question of the neck i have a standard with a 50's neck and prefer it to the 60's so if and when i buy one i think i should be ok but again thanks for your comments #-o

wow I didnt buy a standard on line even though i could have save 200 notes, I really wanted to play the guitar i would walk out with, but to be honest a store online or not going into liquidation never even crossed my mind, wow credit card or cash only for me from now on. although with 4 guitars I doubt I will be getting another soon unless its a early strat 74 or older.

Sound Control and Turnkey filed for administration on 30th April 2008. The Turnkey website currently states: “Whilst the Sound Control group remains in administration, no orders can be placed on this website”.

Archived