Gibson Brands Forums

SG NECK CRACKS?

RRIDER

I have heard rumors that SG's have neck problems. I dismissed what I heard as an isolated incident...A few days ago I was ready to buy a 2008 SG special mist blue color. It looks brand new, but the seller found a crack where the neck and body join.

Is this a common problem with the SG?

Sure is. The neck joints have been bolstered for strength one way or another over the years but they're still somewhat fragile compared to other guitars. The earlier models had very slim-tapered necks and although they're better now, it's still the SG's Achilles heel.

Handle with care.

I have heard rumors that SG's have neck problems. I dismissed what I heard as an isolated incident...A few days ago I was ready to buy a 2008 SG special mist blue color. It looks brand new' date=' but the seller found a crack where the neck and body join.

Is this a common problem with the SG?[/quote']

Is it a crack in the wood or the finish? Is the neck separating from the body? My SG has some finish cracks near the neck joint, but if you look closely it is the finish and not the wood. Temperature changes will do that because the wood expands/contracts at a different rate than the nitrocellulose finish.

Thanks for the quick reponses!

Is it a crack in the wood or the finish? Is the neck separating from the body? My SG has some finish cracks near the neck joint' date=' but if you look closely it is the finish and not the wood. Temperature changes will do that because the wood expands/contracts at a different rate than the nitrocellulose finish.[/quote']

I don't know if the crack is just in the finish or in the wood. The seller sent me a message about finding the crack and said he couldn't tell if it was in the wood or not, but didn't feel comfortable selling it until he has it checked out.

Thanks for the quick reponses!

I don't know if the crack is just in the finish or in the wood. The seller sent me a message about finding the crack and said he couldn't tell if it was in the wood or not' date=' but didn't feel comfortable selling it until he has it checked out.[/quote']

Tell that seller he is ace, a lot of guys would just pass it on and make up somthing about "during shipping" or the like +1 to him, High five. all of that stuff to him for being an honest guy =P

Tell that seller he is ace' date=' a lot of guys would just pass it on and make up somthing about "during shipping" or the like +1 to him, High five. all of that stuff to him for being an honest guy =P[/quote']

You said it.......good for him. Most people wouldn't even divulge that it was there until the sale was final, or maybe not even at all.

You said it.......good for him. Most people wouldn't even divulge that it was there until the sale was final' date=' or maybe not even at all.[/quote']

I found it on Ebay..I know, I know, Not very smart to buy sight unseen, just going by the sellers description and pics. Let alone not playing it first.

The sale was final, I had the high bid and had already sent PayPal payment. He emailed me that he was going over it inch by inch one last time before packing it up to take to FedEx. That's when he discovered the crack, and said he wasn't comfortable selling it until he gets it checked out. He had also sent my payment back via PayPal.

My wife is a little skeptical, she wonders if he got a better offer locally and canceled the sale to me. [thumbup]

I thought that Blue Mist SG would look nice next to my Cherry Red ES 335.

hmmm RRIDER?

Your name wouldn't happen to be Robert would it?

[thumbup]

Anyway fellas I know this guy' date=' no need to take him seriously. He doesn't even play guitar, he just stalkes truckers. :-k[/quote']

No my name isn't Robert, and I don't know why you would say that I stalk truckers.

I don't appreciate the accusations...If you want to see the pics of the guitars I play...I posted pics of them in the new member section. I have a 1971 Gibson ES 335 and a 1964 Silvertone with a Bigsby tailpiece and P-90 pickups.

sorry man, but if you were the guy I thought you were you would totally get what I said.

sorry man' date=' but if you were the guy I thought you were you would totally get what I said.[/quote']

It's all good. I guess you know someone that uses the same or close to the same user name?

Well, I finally got the scoop on the Blue Mist SG I thought I bought . I'm not so sure the seller is as honest as first thought. His explanation of the alleged neck crack is that there was a fiber, like a hair or from a brush had settle into the paint. He claims a Gibson Tech removed the fiber and buffed it. "Just like new"

My thought is, after I had already paid for it, he realized, or someone told him, the Blue Mist color was a limited run on the 2008 SG. He originally had it listed for $699 buy it now or best offer. After an offer is made, there is no more BIN price. I bought it for $690 + $30 shipping.

He has it relisted with the description changed stating the limited run color. BIN price is now $859 + $30 shipping. I have NEVER left a negative feedback on Ebay, until now.

I found it on Ebay..I know' date=' I know, Not very smart to buy sight unseen, just going by the sellers description and pics. Let alone not playing it first.[/quote']

I've said this before but I bought my last five guitars on eBay, sight unseen, each arriving in better than described condition and perfect in every way. Sometimes it's simply not possible to see and play the guitar you want. While admittedly not the best way to purchase an instrument, this does not reflect the buyer's level of intelligence.

I got my Heritage H535 off of ebay. Couldn't be happier. of my current lineup of 10 guitars, I got 1 from craigslist, one from ebay, 3 bought new, 2 bought used from stores online, and 4 from forum sales, local and mailed. I've also bought other guitars from ebay and locally in the past. Do your homework and it is hard to get burned.

I got my Heritage H535 off of ebay. Couldn't be happier. of my current lineup of 10 guitars' date=' I got 1 from craigslist, one from ebay, 3 bought new, 2 bought used from stores online, and 4 from forum sales, local and mailed. I've also bought other guitars from ebay and locally in the past. Do your homework and it is hard to get burned.[/quote']

It might be hard to get burned by doing your homework unless the seller pulls a fast one like this one did on me. I already payed for it, he claimed it was damaged to cancel the sale, comes up with what sounds like a totally bogus story and instead of offering it to me, he relists it on Ebay at a higher price.

I would like to know what ebay would say about this............seems like on the edge of or actuall fraud. You should be allowed to have

the guitar at the price you won it at. At least the guitar should be pulled from the ebay auction.

I contacted ebay and spoke with a rep. I told her the situation. She advised me and walked me through the process of reporting it to ebay as a fraudulant listing/sale. She said that they will do an investigation of the situation and I will get an email from them when they come to a conclusion of what should be done about the matter.

I get the feeling some think I'm making up this entire story.. below is a link to the current listing. Check out his feedback, you'll recognize my name as the one that gave him his first negative feedback. From the feedback you can view the listing that I had won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180468363786&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT