Gibson Brands Forums

Re-topping a high end acoustic (PIC ADDED)

jannusguy

2.5 sounds a little hefty....if you can get the guitar for free....then I would send pics to the factory in Bozeman and Nazareth' date=' they do repairs and can probably quote you a price....[/quote']

i tried to reach martin today but they closed due to the weather. it will be interesting to see what they say...

Last I heard' date=' Martin's repair dept was just about non-existent. Just repeating....[/quote']

Martin has recently done a fair number of retops. The most recent Fretboard Journal documents one retop in detail.

Re-topping is a fairly common repair for high end guitars -- of course, it would only generally be done as a last resort. Any good luthier/builder/repair guy should be able to do it -- there are lots of them out there these days.

Best,

-Tom

that's the bridge in the upper left corner of the pic.

de434b8904ced91ea1cb17db1b580df7.jpg

The guy who has my DIF has an old Martin he repaired. I thought he told me he had to re-top it, but I'm not sure. When I saw it, (we played together last Halloween at my BIL's house), the Martin looked brand new.

If you'd like to contact him, his web site is http://www.aantones.com

Maybe he can help.

All the wood is there. It should be a fairly straightforward repair of knitting the splits back together and refinishing. The repair would not be invisible and might require some excising of some of the sections and splicing in new spruce at those points but it seems totally doable. I've seen worse repaired for less.

All the wood is there. It should be a fairly straightforward repair of knitting the splits back together and refinishing. The repair would not be invisible and might require some excising of some of the sections and splicing in new spruce at those points but it seems totally doable. I've seen worse repaired for less.

i thought you were kidding. i have sent pics to a few factory authorized service folk and , have spoken to martin in Pa. no one seems to be inclined to tackle this. i have one more feeler out to a SF,CA shop that i have not yet heard back from. depending on what they say, if anything, i may let it go. i do not yet possess the guitar but it is a model i covet. i'm trying to wheel and deal. i'm not overly concerned about cosmetics but the rest, well, you know, it's gotta sound right. i'm thinking this is a fool's errand.

I second what Tom wrote on Wednesday. You should be able to find a good luthier in a mid-sized city who would welcome a challenge like this. Gibson, Martin are probably inclined to price things like this high because they aren't as 'hungry' for the business. When I lived in Waco, the best luthier there was not of the caliber you'd find at Gibson or Martin. But he did things like this all the time. Very Well and Reasonably Priced. Don't give up on the guitar ! It can be saved [biggrin].. G'luck.

i thought you were kidding. i have sent pics to a few factory authorized service folk and ' date=' have spoken to martin in Pa. no one seems to be inclined to tackle this. i have one more feeler out to a SF,CA shop that i have not yet heard back from. depending on what they say, if anything, i may let it go. i do not yet possess the guitar but it is a model i covet. i'm trying to wheel and deal. i'm not overly concerned about cosmetics but the rest, well, you know, it's gotta sound right. [b']i'm thinking this is a fool's errand[/b].

Well, who better to perform it then?

[biggrin]

Archived